Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

accessing BBC iplayer in canada? proxy? how to with a mac?

accessing BBC iplayer in canada? proxy? how to with a mac?

Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Chivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant future
Default Re: accessing BBC iplayer in canada? proxy? how to with a mac?

Have been using proxy's for all the main channels for nearly 2 years now. It is trial and error but have been able to watch most of what we wanted. The OH has just seen all the episodes of the new The Royal on ITV. It is not impossible, they do work, because they change pretty quckly you have to check , sometime's one will last a week if lucky, so keep trying. I do know that althogh the proxy's for Codeen do work they will not let you into the UK TV sites.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:19 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Would you like to share how you find said proxies or is that a secret?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Would be nice if the TV was accessible as the BBC Radio stations are - I listen to today's 'Today' programme every morning over breakfast! Can't say I'm that bothered by much of the BBC's TV output these days mind!

However, if it's anything remotely popular, like Dr. Who, you can just whip it off bit-torrent (Mac Client: Transmission) the day after it airs. Great quality (even HD these days), keep-it-forever, etc. Plus it's nearly all DivX, which most DVD players will play these days, so you can watch it all on your TV with the minimum of fuss (the cheap Pioneer player I recently bought from Futureshop even has a USB socket!).

That goes for any channel of course (I very much enjoyed Sky's recent 'Ross Kemp in Afghanistan' series, for instance).

I'm not sure what formats UkNova offer (I tried to register with them a while back but there was a waiting list), if it's soaps etc. you want I think they do those.

Cheers, Iain
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think Transmission is banned for UKN though. I use Azureus for encryption but started with BT itself which is a gentler introduction for a non-techie like me
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant future

There are a number of proxy sites all of which can be found via a search engine, you have to try to find out which sites suit you.
I recently registered with UK Nova so they may still be open.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - just tried UKNova again and registered without issue (quick, before they lock down again!), I guess they have upgraded capacity.

A quick look seems to reveal plenty of interest, and Transmission seems to work fine with the torrent files (at least the couple I've tested).

Cheers, Iain
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:14 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
I very much enjoyed Sky's recent 'Ross Kemp in Afghanistan' series, for instance
I think there's only one outcome to this that would make it enjoyable.

The facts:

http://www.rosskemp.co.uk/
Old May 19th 2008, 7:49 pm
See the BBC for Free

nirving is on a distinguished road

Take a look @ http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=21 this will help you get the iPlayer working with. Still requires a proxy, but not for all content, only just one page. Works for me and a couple of others.