Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accent complaint

Accent complaint

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Accent complaint

Originally Posted by prodigyking
Why is this such a big deal? It's not like your co-worker is making it up? You do have an accent. You can't sue somebody because they are pointing out the truth.

Have you tried to adapt to the local accent? Maybe they should sue you for incomptence in adaptation :scared:
Well I guess you better start practising then!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Hey bud ... I've missed you and you're quaintly warped Albanian world view

I've got an accent with a heritage that I'm proud of ... believe it or not I've also used a north american accent training course ... I learned to spread budda on my bread and use a dellifone for making calls ... it's really hard to cover up the underlying nature of your native accent.

Are you in Quebec yet, or did they successfully stop you at the border as you marched across weapon proudly held aloft to startle the natives?

Some day when you're all growed up and your world view has expanded a bit, you'll appreciate the finer points of career progression

In the meantime, go back to the nursery and play with your dollies
Obviously that course didn't work well for ya! Don't worry about me, I am not the one coming over here crying because "I can't play well with others", and I want to sue somebody because of my shortcomings. I thought you were going back to Scotchland, anyway. See you in hell Willie!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Someone I work with has an issue with the fact I have an "accent" (like Canadians don't, eh?) ... in the UK I could smack him around the head with a racial discrimination complaint ... anyone got any experience of doing the same in Canada?
It's only an issue when things go wrong - "blame the English guy - Can't understand a word he says". I've even had people phone one of the guys I work with to ask me a question because they can't stand my accent.

I get used to it. Especially when I remember attending a training course in the UK, taught by a South African, and the stick we gave him.

It's just one of those things you have to work around. I know who to e-mail and who to phone.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:43 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I'm with the "tell the person to piss off" suggestion...
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:45 pm
Glaswegian

Obviously that course didn't work well for ya!
It did ... I can ask for a kaffee at Dim Hordens too ...

Don't worry about me, I am not the one coming over here crying because "I can't play well with others", and I want to sue somebody because of my shortcomings.
But you have so many shortcomings to choose from ... I only have my poor little accent.

I thought you were going back to Scotchland, anyway.
Nope ... they probably wouldn't have me back ... maybe I should head for Albania?

See you in hell Willie!
I'm pretty sure you'll be there before I am

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by ksct97
To Glaswegian and Prodigyking, can we end the bickering... and before either of you says "but he started it" can we just zip it and chuck it in a large pit before more purile name calling occurs...

otherwise i suggest pistols at dawn...

PS: i am very bored at the moment so i'm going to be reading every post written here, whether i want to or not... so lets keep it civil...
But it makes good reading..............
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

To Glaswegian and Prodigyking, can we end the bickering...
But its such good fun, and the wee wirey scotsman is kicking albanian butt!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

fine... please continue Glaswegian and Prodigyking... i make it 1-0 to Glaswegian, half-tme almost upon us, any last remarks before oranges?!
Only 1-0?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:56 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonG
Only 1-0?
Glaswegian's remarks (post20)... definitely a hit there...
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:58 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

To Glaswegian and Prodigyking, can we end the bickering... and before either of you says "but he started it" can we just zip it and chuck it in a large pit before more purile name calling occurs...

otherwise i suggest pistols at dawn...

PS: i am very bored at the moment so i'm going to be reading every post written here, whether i want to or not... so lets keep it civil...
I don't see any bickering here - just one nice Scots guy with a different opinion to the highly strung Albanian, that's all.

I doubt anyone needs to say "he started it" cos we all know who started it, lol!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:04 pm
Glaswegian

OK ... back to the original point.

The Canadian job market discriminates against new immigrants on several levels ... foreign qualifications, lack of Canadian experience, etc ... in reality it ensures that they can take on high quality immigrant labor at a fraction of the cost of less qualified, less experienced Canadian labor.

Feel free to disagree with me, you won't change my opinion on that one ... I've seen it in practice too often.

Qualifications & experience can be acquired, even if its with difficulty.

But if they're going to pick on you for things you can't do a lot about ... skin colour, accent, disability ... there's got to be a line somewhere that they can cross and you can have legal recourse.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Skin color is not the same thing as an accent.

An accent can prevent you from communicating properly. That can be time and money consuming for a business. Why is this so hard to understand? And yes, it's possible to change. You are already displaying baby steps in improvement.

You have all the stupid sentences to order blood-clotting food at your convenience store down near perfect. Now try working on your professional vocabulary!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:41 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

<whistle>

i still make it 1-0,... oranges anyone?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:43 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Tell where to get off Glas!

Seriously, how can anyone complain about an accent in this day an age. In my week alone I encoutered, Chinese, Indian and Korean accents, If those don't present a problem from people who speak English as a 2nd language, how can anyone complain about a Scottish one ????

Unless you really do sound like Mr Nesbit???
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

<whistle>

i still make it 1-0,... oranges anyone?
Actually I was looking for some popcorn and a soft chair to sit in....

I don't think there is any doubt who will win in the end.........is there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.