Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

6 months Canada and 3 months USA - Visa question

6 months Canada and 3 months USA - Visa question

Old Nov 16th 2017, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

texasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 months Canada and 3 months USA - Visa question

I'm a British citizen and I'm thinking about spending 6 months in Canada and 3 months in the USA immediately after. Is this allowed, or would I face problems with immigration?

I am aware that doing this the other way around would be a visa issue, but am unsure if the same applies if going to Canada first.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months Canada and 3 months USA - Visa question

You would just have to convince Immigration officials in both countries that your trip is genuine, you will not work and will leave at the end of your stay.
They could also limit the time you spend in each country as the 6 months and 90 days aren't guaranteed.
My preference would doing the USA first showing you have onward travel plans to Canada. On arriving in Canada show them proof you will be returning to the UK. Also helpful showing that you have access to sufficient funds to look after yourself.
ESTA required to enter the USA and get an eTA for Canada.
Your choice in the end which way you choose to do it.
Also you might want to have some proof that you have ties to the UK such as owning a home, job to go back to if relevant.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
My preference would doing the USA first showing you have onward travel plans to Canada.
I agree with the rest of it, but disagree with this bit, for OP's stated reason, unless they have money to buy refundable flights. ESTA rules are not consistently enforced, but do technically require that a UK citizen arriving in the USA on ESTA be planning on leaving the whole of North America (USA, Mexico, Canada, Caribbean) at the end of the 90 days, and have proof of this. The only exclusions are people who have PR/citizenship/work/study permits in one of those areas.

If OP flies into Canada, they only need to plan to leave the country, not the continent. They can then go to the US afterwards. If they fly into the US, they may be refused entry lacking onward travel after the 90 days out of all of North America (a ticket to Canada wouldn't be enough, unless OP is a PR & hasn't told us - might get away with it, but no way to know in advance). People can however demonstrate intent to leave with a purchased ticket out of North America, regardless of its refundability.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 7:37 am
Just Joined

texasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond reputetexasdream has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your responses. So that sounds like it could work. I have evidence of financial support and will have onward flights out of the USA after my trip is completed. Good idea too about taking proof of ties in the UK. I don't have permanent residence in America.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 2:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to maximize your chances would, whichever country you fly to first, you hold a return ticket within the 6mths/90 day visa-free travel period, then cancel/ swap the return leg for a flight from the other country.

Note, word of caution, buying a one-way flight out of the US post 9/11, can be tricky. Also if you buy a return ticket and don't use the outward leg, the returned will be cancelled too - in other words, you can't buy two return tickets and use the outward leg of one and the return leg of the other.