Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2012 Tax return adjustment (IEC)

2012 Tax return adjustment (IEC)

Old Dec 12th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2012 Tax return adjustment (IEC)

Hi,

So after a quick call to CRA regarding another issue where I had to re-pay OSTC and GST/HSTC that was paid to me in error after I left Canada, the agent highlighted that my 2012 return wasn't filed correctly as an immigrant return, i.e it was filed for the full year rather than from January 10th 2012 when I entered on IEC and he advised that to ensure my returns are all above board I file an adjustment. Question is, how do I indicate this on an adjustment form T1-ADJ? I'll probably owe some money but I'd rather have everything correct.

Lesson learned... it's not always better to pay someone to do your return for you
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:27 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Tax return adjustment (IEC)

Originally Posted by ChrisBan

Lesson learned... it's not always better to pay someone to do your return for you
That is not promising for those of us with our first tax return to do soon
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In Section C of the T1 Adj put line 300 Basic personal amount. Previous 10,822 Change 296 Revised 10526. In the explanation box below say that you became a tax resident on January 10 but did not prorate the personal amount.

You will likely owe them about $60 plus a bit of interest.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
That is not promising for those of us with our first tax return to do soon
Ohh it's actually a piece of cake if it's done properly

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In Section C of the T1 Adj put line 300 Basic personal amount. Previous 10,822 Change 296 Revised 10526. In the explanation box below say that you became a tax resident on January 10 but did not prorate the personal amount.

You will likely owe them about $60 plus a bit of interest.
Thanks, your help is always appreciated! I think it'll actually be a little more than that unfortunately as looking back at my return the working income tax benefit was claimed, which from my understanding shouldn't have been so that'll have to go back
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
... the working income tax benefit was claimed, which from my understanding shouldn't have been so that'll have to go back
Ah yes, that will make a difference. You have to be a tax-resident of Canada throughout the year to claim the WITB.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Ah yes, that will make a difference. You have to be a tax-resident of Canada throughout the year to claim the WITB.
Should I note that on the adjustment form the amount I received for WITB along with the allowance change or is it something they'll automatically do when reassessing my return following the other info provided?