Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

1st Job Application

1st Job Application

Old May 20th 2008, 9:10 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Default 1st Job Application

Hello Everybody

I'm just putting together my first Canadian job application and am a bit stumped on the cover letter regarding my immigration status.

My position is that I need a job, TWP, LMO etc to move over (as so many do!!) but do not yet have a definite recce trip booked, so am not able to say 'will be visiting between such and such a date' as suggested in the Wiki articles. I would however be willing to travel over at short notice if necessary.

What is the best way to address this situation in my covering letter

Any help would be most welcome - thank you all in advance, I know you are sooooooo helpful
Old May 20th 2008, 9:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Job Application

Hi there - just tell it like it is.

That you are currently in the UK and that the company contemplating seeing you would need to be aware that there is a small (!) amount of paperwork needed to enable you to come over on a TWP. Advise that you are fully aware of the process and should your qualifications and experience suit the position they are advertising for, you are more than willing to help them through the paperwork side of things.

Also advise that if needed you can come to Canada for an interview - this will show willing and may make the company think - well if you are doing all this for us (ie help with paperwork if needed, fly other side of the globe for interview) then for them to apply for an LMO is not such a big deal.

If you include this information then at least any positive replies you have will be productive ones, and not ones that are going to back out due to the fact that you do not have a work permit.

Hope this helps and good luck (we have our BIL over here at the mo doing the very same thing!)
Old May 20th 2008, 9:45 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubie
Hello Everybody

I'm just putting together my first Canadian job application and am a bit stumped on the cover letter regarding my immigration status.

My position is that I need a job, TWP, LMO etc to move over (as so many do!!) but do not yet have a definite recce trip booked, so am not able to say 'will be visiting between such and such a date' as suggested in the Wiki articles. I would however be willing to travel over at short notice if necessary.

What is the best way to address this situation in my covering letter

Any help would be most welcome - thank you all in advance, I know you are sooooooo helpful
I am one of those who believes in phoning before sending a resume, all the more so in a case like this.
x
Old May 20th 2008, 9:50 pm

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Hi there - just tell it like it is.

That you are currently in the UK and that the company contemplating seeing you would need to be aware that there is a small (!) amount of paperwork needed to enable you to come over on a TWP. Advise that you are fully aware of the process and should your qualifications and experience suit the position they are advertising for, you are more than willing to help them through the paperwork side of things.

Also advise that if needed you can come to Canada for an interview - this will show willing and may make the company think - well if you are doing all this for us (ie help with paperwork if needed, fly other side of the globe for interview) then for them to apply for an LMO is not such a big deal.

If you include this information then at least any positive replies you have will be productive ones, and not ones that are going to back out due to the fact that you do not have a work permit.

Hope this helps and good luck (we have our BIL over here at the mo doing the very same thing!)

Thanks for the reply Mandymoochops,

thats sort of what I was thinking but it's great to get back up I wasn't sure whether that would scare them off, but then again, you're right. IF they assume that you've already got a TWP they may back out when they know the full story.

Thanks again and good luck with everything.
Old May 20th 2008, 9:51 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Judy to be honest have advised BIL to call the companies, have an informal chat and then email his resume based on their response.

Cuts out a lot of the waiting time following sending hundreds of resumes and getting little if any replies! Good advice J X
Old May 20th 2008, 9:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Thanks for the reply Mandymoochops,

thats sort of what I was thinking but it's great to get back up I wasn't sure whether that would scare them off, but then again, you're right. IF they assume that you've already got a TWP they may back out when they know the full story.

Thanks again and good luck with everything.
No worries - Judy's suggestion is the best way to go, however if you cannot get through to some by phone first, or just want to be ultra productive then bang out as many as you can and follow them up afterwards (by phone - not with another email)
Old May 20th 2008, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I am one of those who believes in phoning before sending a resume, all the more so in a case like this.
x

Hi Judy

thanks for your reply. Your advice on the Wiki has been great too.

The job ad stated only email replies - do you think it would still be best to phone first
Old May 20th 2008, 10:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Your advice on the Wiki has been great too.
Glad you've found it useful.

The job ad stated only email replies - do you think it would still be best to phone first
Sorry, I didn't know you were responding to a job ad. If that is the case, you must comply with the prospective employer's instructions. It's likely to tick them off if you don't do what they say. In that case, I suggest you follow the advice that Mandymoochops gave you.

If you are not already doing this, I suggest that you also use the methods described in the Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities, identify prospective employers, and phone them.

If you could see your way clear to doing a recce trip, it would be highly beneficial.
x
Old May 20th 2008, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Glad you've found it useful.

Sorry, I didn't know you were responding to a job ad. If that is the case, you must comply with the prospective employer's instructions. It's likely to tick them off if you don't do what they say. In that case, I suggest you follow the advice that Mandymoochops gave you.

If you are not already doing this, I suggest that you also use the methods described in the Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities, identify prospective employers, and phone them.

If you could see your way clear to doing a recce trip, it would be highly beneficial.
x
Thanks again Judy

I've been planning on sending out resumes but wanted to wait until we had definitely booked a recce trip. However I came across a job advertised that was perfect! - identical to what I do now which I have found hard to come across. I didn't want to miss the opportunity because I didn't have a recce booked. I know it's a long shot considering how the Canadian job market works but you never know.

Thanks again for the tips.