Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

154 B.C Truckdrivers losing permits.

154 B.C Truckdrivers losing permits.

Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default 154 B.C Truckdrivers losing permits.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of
Default Re: 154 B.C Truckdrivers losing permits.

Alberta is next. All Class one truckers should expect to be pulled over in the next couple of months and face an English test. If they cannot speak English they will get their license withdrawn. Federal and Provisional agencies will be involved.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:04 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy hatter
Alberta is next. All Class one truckers should expect to be pulled over in the next couple of months and face an English test. If they cannot speak English they will get their license withdrawn. Federal and Provisional agencies will be involved.
I don't believe you. What business is it of any Federal or Provincial agency whether a guy driving a truck can speak reasonable English? What about unilingual francophone Quebecois? Which agencies will be involved, and under what legislation do you imagine they will be acting?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I don't believe you. What business is it of any Federal or Provincial agency whether a guy driving a truck can speak reasonable English? What about unilingual francophone Quebecois? Which agencies will be involved, and under what legislation do you imagine they will be acting?
It doesn't matter to me if you don't believe me, however in Alberta in order to drive a class 1 vehicle by law (provisional) you must be able to speak English.

You may be unaware but Alberta is not bi-lingual. this applies to Alberta truckers only so the 'unilingual francophone Quebecois' will be okay.

Last edited by happy hatter; Jun 6th 2008 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

What Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant future

Hey good wind-up about the language test by the way.

Oh Hell, its not a wind-up !! I just got a letter from Transport Canada and I have to sit an English language proficiency test for my Commercial Pilots Licence. The fact that I was born in England doesn't seem to matter.

The report in the newspaper is as a result of drivers permits being obtained fraudulently.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the PPRUNE forums , there is a BIG discussion about English Language requirements , shoddy testing , different countries applying their own "interpretation" of the rules and of course those people with the dodgy English skills the standards are designed to weed out are prcisely the ones who will manage to side step them!.

Some one on PPRUNE posted a very scarey youtube video of a conversation between an American ATCO and an Air China pilot, very , very frigntening, the lack of basic understanding!