Reload this Page >

1 Year UK licence Plates in Canada

1 Year UK licence Plates in Canada

Old Feb 8th 2016, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Feed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 Year UK licence Plates in Canada

So Shipping a Car to Canada

Am I right in thinking you can drive on UK Licence Plates for up to 1 Year in Canada ?
Does this reset If you drive in the US ?

I know I can get cheap World Wide Policy at Third Party from a Dutch Company.
Cheaper than any BC Policy would be for me.

6 Months in any Province As long as you are not resident (30 Days otherwise)
though can you Just Cross the Province Border
(How can they Prove how long you have been in each Province though)

6 Months in the US
Old Feb 8th 2016, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 Year UK licence Plates in Canada

1. Visitors could drive a vehicle on foreign plates for up to 12 months however being admitted for 12 months is not the norm.
those admitted for over 6 months are usually documented on a visitor record and this document has an expiry date.

2. Crossing into the USA does not reset the clock.

3. Crossing a Provincial border is like driving between counties in the UK.

4. There is no guarantee how long you would be admitted for as its a case by case basis and Immigration can limit the amount of a persons stay based on numerous things.

More info needed on your plans.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

I have Canadian Citizenship never been though and not to Live.

Planning On touring around Canada and the US possibly Mexico for at least a Year or more.
In my Camper. Working out the Costs of Models out in Canada and Costs of insurance and Rentals.
Best Options seems to Ship my Camper Cost and Insurance Wise and Possibly Scrap it or Ship home again at the end.

Last edited by Feed; Feb 8th 2016 at 5:51 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As a Canadian citizen you have the right to enter and stay and live and work in Canada. Depending on the type of vehicle you bring this is where you will encounter potential problems. You would have to satisfy Immigration on arrival that you are only in Canada temporarily and any goods you bring with you will be exported.
The vehicle will be the biggest problem if CBSA suspect that you are trying to import a vehicle that doesn't meet import requirements. Visitors are exempt from RIV requirements.
D19-12-1 - Importation of Vehicles
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're just driving around, not settling in one place or working, then you're just a tourist, albeit one with a Canadian passport. I think you (OP) are over-thinking this, and the other contributors to this thread are, with all due respect, complicating matters unnecessarily by applying a "Canadian immigration perspective".

As a tourist, if you drive around in Canada for a few months, drive down into the US and Mexico for six months and then back into Canada, I suspect that as a tourist, the clock WILL reset. .... If you were only in the US for a few days or couple of weeks you might have a clock rest issue, but not being in the US or Mexico for several months.

BTW think very hard before heading into Mexico, it's a rough situation down there, and a couple of Aussies living in Canada came to a sticky end down there in their campervan. As a secondary issue, US CBP might want to dismantle your camper when you return to the US from Mexico.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 8th 2016 at 6:29 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're just driving around, not settling in one place or working, then you're just a tourist, albeit one with a Canadian passport. I think you (OP) are over-thinking this, and the other contributors to this thread are, with all due respect, complicating matters unnecessarily by applying a "Canadian immigration perspective".

As a tourist, if you drive around in Canada for a few months, drive down into the US and Mexico for six months and then back into Canada, I suspect that as a tourist, the clock WILL reset. .... If you were only in the US for a few days or couple of weeks you might have a clock rest issue, but not being in the US or Mexico for several months.

BTW think very hard before heading into Mexico, it's a rough situation down there, and a couple of Aussies living in Canada came to a sticky end down there in their campervan. As a secondary issue, US CBP might want to dismantle your camper when you return to the US from Mexico.
But it does become a problem not from the Immigration side per se but from a Customs perspective i.e. importation of a foreign registered vehicle be it temporary or permanently. Without knowing what the OP is classified as i.e. Resident V Non Resident does make a difference for Customs in this case. In most cases a Canadian resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in Canada but there are exceptions as found in this Customs Memo
D2-4-1 Memorandum - Temporary Importation of Conveyances by Residents of Canada
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feed
I have Canadian Citizenship never been though and not to Live. ....
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
...... Without knowing what the OP is classified as i.e. Resident V Non Resident does make a difference for Customs in this case. In most cases a Canadian resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle ....
Can someone with a Canadian passport who does not live in Canada and has never previously visited, be considered a "resident"?

Maybe it would be easier if he just entered Canada using his British passport? Or does Canada have a "must use your Canadian passport" rule, similar to the US passport rule for US citizens entering the US?

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 8th 2016 at 7:23 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Can someone with a Canadian passport who does not live in Canada and has never previously visited, be considered a "resident"?

Maybe it would be easier if he just entered Canada using his British passport? Or does Canada have a "must use your Canadian passport" rule, similar to the US passport rule for US citizens entering the US?
No.
Canada does not have a requirement that you must enter on a Canadian passport.

As the OP is a Canadian citizen and providing they can prove that then they cannot be refused entry.
In this case the OP wants to drive a foreign plated vehicle in Canada. There is no legal requirement for him to leave at the end of a trip. Its the vehicle Customs might have a problem with if they cannot be satisfied that the vehicle will be exported if it doesn't meet the CMVSS requirements. If he sold it in Canada and it was less than 15 yrs old then the poor sucker who bought it would never be able to register it. Same as they might suspect avoidance of import taxes where applicable.
Until CBSA fully establishes the intent he could have problems.

Lets be honest very few Europeans bring over their own vehicles when visiting and if they do they likely have itineraries and proof of return etc so less risk than a Canadian citizen showing up with a foreign plated vehicle and stating just visiting.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Could the OP just buy a van here and then sell it when he wanted to return? At least it would be lefthand drive.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
Could the OP just buy a van here and then sell it when he wanted to return? At least it would be lefthand drive.
But then he'd have the issues, discussed occasionally in the US forum, of how to tax, register, and insure a vehicle when he has neither local address or driving licence.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

No.
Canada does not have a requirement that you must enter on a Canadian passport.
I think with the ETA coming in If I fly in I will have no choice but to use Canadian Passport due to the Airline not letting me Fly. can't apply for a ETA. I guess I could travel via US and Cross land border but they don't have to let me in Canada does. ( Passport Should be coming any day now)
As the OP is a Canadian citizen and providing they can prove that then they cannot be refused entry.
In this case the OP wants to drive a foreign plated vehicle in Canada. There is no legal requirement for him to leave at the end of a trip. Its the vehicle Customs might have a problem with if they cannot be satisfied that the vehicle will be exported if it doesn't meet the CMVSS requirements. If he sold it in Canada and it was less than 15 yrs old then the poor sucker who bought it would never be able to register it. Same as they might suspect avoidance of import taxes where applicable.
Until CBSA fully establishes the intent he could have problems.

Lets be honest very few Europeans bring over their own vehicles when visiting and if they do they likely have itineraries and proof of return etc so less risk than a Canadian citizen showing up with a foreign plated vehicle and stating just visiting.

My VW Camper is already LHD there is quite a few already in the UK most of decent ones are LHD

I looked at buying Camper in Canada and it could be done it was more expensive along with Insurance.

In terms of Mexico I will be really picky where I go and only stay in Hostels or Hotels while I am there no night driving. Anywhere Further south I want to go to I will Fly to. Such Mexico City or Cancun though I would love to drive there.

Last edited by Feed; Feb 8th 2016 at 11:32 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 1:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think with the ETA coming in If I fly in I will have no choice but to use Canadian Passport due to the Airline not letting me Fly. can't apply for a ETA.

Show the airline your Canadian passport but the immigration authorities your EU one. The airline only cares that you won't be refused admission, they're not concerned what you do when you get off the plane.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Show the airline your Canadian passport but the immigration authorities your EU one. The airline only cares that you won't be refused admission, they're not concerned what you do when you get off the plane.
Don't think that would work as they would wonder why I showed my British Passport with no ETA and clearly checked in on a Canadian Passport.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't think that would work as they would wonder why I showed my British Passport with no ETA and clearly checked in on a Canadian Passport.
Too many people get hung up on Dual Citizenship and which passport to use.
Its pretty simple.
As you live in the UK if you book your ticket using a UK passport then you would need eTA unless the booking tool allows multi citizenships. If you use your Canadian passport to book the ticket then no eTA is required. On arrival at the check in desk when flying to Canada you normally present the passport which you booked the ticket on. When you arrive in Canada we don't care which passport you used to book a ticket, with a valid or expired Canadian passport that indicates to me you are a Canadian citizen and if I have no doubts about this I have to let you into Canada. The vehicle you are driving is a whole different kettle of fish.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I *think* I'm right in saying that as a *temporary* resident, one can *temporarily* import a vehicle. BUT the vehicle has to leave the country at the end of the temporary period.

I suspect your Canadian citizenship, + no intention to remain in Canada *might* well muddy the waters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.