Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$4500/yr car insurance with three star?

$4500/yr car insurance with three star?

Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:04 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: $4500/yr car insurance with three star?

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Thank you! I will try them out 1st thing tomorrow !!
No probs and good luck - they will try their best to get you a good quote. Even the $2700 non business is still way cheaper than you've been quoted.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Just called State Farm for an additional quote. They say (and I quote):

"There aren't any insurance companies in Canada that take UK no-claims history into account"

Can anyone confirm that their insurance co. took their UK history into account? Or did they just say they did???? Confused now...!
CDI took UK claims history into account for a premium of approx $1000. I think they only cover BC and Alberta though.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
CDI took UK claims history into account for a premium of approx $1000. I think they only cover BC and Alberta though.
You have to buy basic from ICBC in BC and can buy top up from third party insurers. However having a claim and dealing with one insurer is bad enough, let alone 2.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

mpi (manitoba govt run ) gave us a deduction for uk no claims.
yes i know posters in ontario.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Td took our uk NCB into account, they didn't even want proof. I even insured the car while oh was still on a uk licence. I started online, and was told to call with a reference no from web. I offered to fax NCB, but they said it was irrelevant as they couldn't check it.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone confirm that their insurance co. took their UK history into account? Or did they just say they did???? Confused now...!
Yes - we used ING when we first arrived and they took our UK history into account. We also got some discounts somewhere along the way for using them for house insurance too - worth a thought. This was Alberta, mind you, and back in 2007.

Your quotes are outrageous.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Your quotes are outrageous.
Seems like a bargain, or anyway the going rate, to me.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I share a 2004 Ford Explorer (we're paying $800 to insure it). We use Johnson and they recognised our UK NCB in summer 2011 when we took out the policy. Good luck!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:20 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Aviva? We pay $844 for a 2010 Ford Escape Limited (this includes rider insurance because I have to transport my clients). When we first landed back in 2007 we paid much the same for our 6 month old Honda CRV.

http://avivacanada.com/efab/find_bro...x/language:eng
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:56 am
Just Joined

pereira63 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife (with 5 years of UK no claims history and 5 additional years of named driving experience on a company car) has just received a 3 star car insurance quote of $4500 per year... this includes a discount as it's a group policy organized by her professional organisation.

I gave Johnson's a call (as per the Wiki) and they didn't even WANT to provide us with a quote. They did refer us to "belair direct" who duly produced a $6017 quote !!!

Any suggestions ?
Thanks !
Try Allstate Insurance they are on Winston Churchill and Argentia near Futureshop. I pay approx 3000 per car.. Still I think it's quite expensive..
Let me know how it goes..
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dryden - in the bit of Ontario that everyone forgets about.
rob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh the joys of Ontario. We almost sh1t a brick when we found out it was going to cost us over $3000 to insure a 2003 GMC Jimmy - 3rd party only...

After 3 years, we're now paying $2500 fully covered on a 2010 F-150. The annoying thing is that we're in the middle of nowhere but post codes don't matter - Ontario doesn't use location to calculate quotes apparently so we're paying the same as if we lived in the GTA.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

$1,560 with Johnsons (Ontario) combined car and home contents 15yrs UK ncb recognised. Been with them since arriving 5 months ago. We contacted them while we were still in the UK and they asked us to bring letters from as many previous insurance companies we had used as was possible and they would recognise our 15 yr ncb.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob28
Oh the joys of Ontario. We almost sh1t a brick when we found out it was going to cost us over $3000 to insure a 2003 GMC Jimmy - 3rd party only...

After 3 years, we're now paying $2500 fully covered on a 2010 F-150. The annoying thing is that we're in the middle of nowhere but post codes don't matter - Ontario doesn't use location to calculate quotes apparently so we're paying the same as if we lived in the GTA.
Location is a factor in Ontario rating. Get them to requote using M5B *** and you'll notice a difference (assuming that is that you're not so far out that it costs the same as being in).
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Someone want to give the OP the name of an individual broker at Johnsons (or whoever) that they had had some joy with the NCB thing? Could just be they are dealing with someone who hasnt dealt with this before?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I see nobody has commented on why the rates are so high in the GTA area
This is what happens when you live in the centre of the universe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.