Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$3600 per month enough for a Family & 3 Kids??

$3600 per month enough for a Family & 3 Kids??

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

yodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant future
Default Re: $3600 per month enough for a Family & 3 Kids??

Originally Posted by stepnek
It's too general a question to be answered in this way. You'd be better off to try and make a list of your monthly expenses and how much as a family you'd like to be left with after. Get as much information as you can and draw your own conclusions based on the lifestyle you'd like to move over here for. Some people live an expensive lifestyle and know it, others do the same and don't know it.

I could manage on that amount in my circumstances but seeing some of the other responses here not everyone could.
First $65,000 dosen't equate to 3600 monthly after tax - I earn $68000 and its $1,704 bi weekly.

That said, I honestly think it will be difficult to manage with that income - it will take serious budgeting if you take the kids to childcare.

I have 2 toddlers in day care and it costs 1,200 every four weeks, before my OH got a job, we had to dip into the little savings we had to make ends meet and were on a meagre budget. We dont have a car so no insurance costs etc. just Go transit cost. We got an apartment 15 minutes walk to the station and daycare is 10 mins walk from home.

Now that OH has a job, things are getting a bit easier. If your spouse wont work, dont bother with childcare. The $1000+ will be part of your disposable income.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yodiyokun
First $65,000 dosen't equate to 3600 monthly after tax - I earn $68000 and its $1,704 bi weekly.
2* Biweekly is not the same as monthly, and around about now your take home should go up a couple of hundred per cheque, once the EI / CPP contribution is maxed out.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Howard1944
In actual fact that picture displays British Foreplay, he has just nudged her and asked if she is awake??
I think that's Australian. Accompanied by the romantic phrase "Brace yourself Sheila" (that would amount to foreplay).

Bruce.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

yodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
2* Biweekly is not the same as monthly, and around about now your take home should go up a couple of hundred per cheque, once the EI / CPP contribution is maxed out.
I still have a way to go be4 the CPP is maxed; cos just got to canada mid year
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jackson 5
Hi @ all,

I have been offered a job in Brampton Ontario. They have offered me $65000 a year which would be about $3600 after Tax a month.

the question I have is would that be enough for a Family (3 Kids 10,7,3) to live on.

THANKS

ANDREW
Andrew

I lived in Ottawa Valley until 2005 before returning to England in 2005. We found that when I made $65000 salary(in 2001) it was our break even point where we did not have to dip into our saving each month. I had mortgage, 2 cars, wife and 2 sons. We learnt to budget in Canada and managed on $3600/mth. I paid $3600/yr property taxes in 2005, so that would be a months salary for you on property taxes(council taxes) on the wage being offered.

As iaink said Canada not cheap place to live and that money being offered to you means that you will have to budget well.

In 2005 living in rural Ontario our monthly expenditure for a family of 4 was about $4800-$5000. We are currently living in a village in Oxfordshire and finding we are spending £2000-£2200 each month, which is similar to what we spent 2 years ago living in Canada.

You need to work out if you could have the lifestyle you want on £1700/mth in the UK, as I would assume you want as good or not better standard of living in Ontario.

You need to research costs in the Brampton area to make your assessment on the salary being offered. Is it comparable to what you expect to make in the UK?

hudd

hudd

Last edited by hudd; Aug 23rd 2007 at 11:11 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:48 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

i can't get over the cost of tinned tomatoes in canada, seemed to remember picking them up from asda at around 17p a can, here it's well over a dollar

if you're weekly shop contains half a dozen tins of these it soon adds up
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
i can't get over the cost of tinned tomatoes in canada, seemed to remember picking them up from asda at around 17p a can, here it's well over a dollar

You can grow tomatoes in Canada.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest

On the other hand if you want a couple of pounds of top sirloin to throw in the grill you are quids in Canada. It all pretty much balances out. You have to pay to ship those cans of tomatos a long way to get them to the store. Canada is a great big country.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can grow tomatoes in Canada.
In February?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In February?
Not easily but Beaverquest wants them in a can. The can may as well be a jar. If they're in a jar they can be the glut from last summer. I know that not every person wants to dig up the lawn, plant tomatoes and then spend hours bottling them but we're pioneers in a foreign land and, as noted, the price of them is something shocking. Also turnips.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Not easily but Beaverquest wants them in a can. The can may as well be a jar. If they're in a jar they can be the glut from last summer. I know that not every person wants to dig up the lawn, plant tomatoes and then spend hours bottling them but we're pioneers in a foreign land and, as noted, the price of them is something shocking. Also turnips.

Yeah but those bernardin bottles and lids are about $5 each, and who has the time anyway except those rich enough to have quit work...
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yeah but those bernardin bottles and lids are about $5 each, and who has the time anyway except those rich enough to have quit work...
There's always time. Last night, long after dark, we were suck sealing chickens. I expect you could suck seal tomatoes.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

There's always time. Last night, long after dark, we were suck sealing chickens. I expect you could suck seal tomatoes.
I dont know what that is...and I dont want to What goes on between a man and his chickens should remain between them if you ask me.

Anyway, by the time Im done with the kids and the chores at night, Im not going to start messing about with Tomatoes.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

ImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve666
Hmm, your suggestion of the picture as a metaphor for emigration is very perceptive. "Nu couche avec Picasso assis a ses pieds" by Picasso 1902-03
Admit it though, it's a pretty shite painting isnt it?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand if you want a couple of pounds of top sirloin to throw in the grill you are quids in Canada. It all pretty much balances out.
What if you're vegetarian? Then the balance is right out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.