Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$3000-3500 what car?

$3000-3500 what car?

Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:22 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $3000-3500 what car?

Piff, I got'cha, I suspect they've all been replaced by now. When I mentioned rattles I was specifically thinking of control arm bushings. They were the deuce to change.

dbd I prefer the rear wheel drive monsters, but the big GMs are ok

Pete
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

sanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks all for the tips. I've spotted a Nissan Altima which is within my budget. Hopefully I get the job today
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanjuk
Many thanks all for the tips. I've spotted a Nissan Altima which is within my budget. Hopefully I get the job today
Good luck with the job and the car.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

sanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of light

We'll I got the job. I'm being told the winter here is insane and it's not worth dealing in a 2nd hand car..so off to Honda I go to get a leased crv
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We'll I got the job. I'm being told the winter here is insane and it's not worth dealing in a 2nd hand car..so off to Honda I go to get a leased crv
I think you said "here" is Markham and the GTA is in general your travel zone?

The winter, while far from pleasant, is not insane. I drive a perfectly ordinary manual front wheel drive hatchback on all season tyres all year round. I've never had a problem in or around the GTA. Moreover I can't really see the relevance of whether your car is second hand or not.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

in the dead of winter in Markham & having to travel around the GTA with the wind chill it can feel like minus 30C

After a good snowfall & drifting snow when the snow plow has blocked you in & it takes 20 minutes to clear the snow from your car, de-ice the windshield get stuck in traffic - you'll know you are in Canada.

Then by mid summer when you are doing your rep job in/out of your car the humidity is +38C you'll feel like a wet rag. Then getting stuck in traffic on hwy 404 or 401 in rush hour due to accidents, every driver is peed off, your gas gauge is dropping fast - you'll know you are in Canada.

Your work day including travel will likely be at least 10 hours & you'll be thankful that you are driving a newer vehicle

Congrats on the job
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:21 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

What? Why?
Because, Canada.

Welcome. Enjoy your uber expensive motoring experience.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:41 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Mazda 3s and proteges have a terrible reputation for rust perforation.
Girl in work has one of those protege efforts. Thing is literally turning to dust and it's not more than 8 yrs old by the sound of it.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
in the dead of winter in Markham & having to travel around the GTA with the wind chill it can feel like minus 30C
True. But cars don't get windchill.

After a good snowfall & drifting snow when the snow plow has blocked you in & it takes 20 minutes to clear the snow from your car, de-ice the windshield get stuck in traffic - you'll know you are in Canada.
Also true, but irrelevant.

Then by mid summer when you are doing your rep job in/out of your car the humidity is +38C you'll feel like a wet rag. Then getting stuck in traffic on hwy 404 or 401 in rush hour due to accidents, every driver is peed off, your gas gauge is dropping fast - you'll know you are in Canada.
True again. Equally irrelevant.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure whether Ford dealers in ON are offering the same incentives they are here, but we leased a Ford Escape AWD for slightly less than $350 taxes in recently. A CRV would have worked out about $100 more per month. Might be worth checking out.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not sure whether Ford dealers in ON are offering the same incentives they are here, but we leased a Ford Escape AWD for slightly less than $350 taxes in recently. A CRV would have worked out about $100 more per month. Might be worth checking out.
Thanks for the tip
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

How do people manage to get a brand new car on monthly payments when new immigrants though? Surely you need stellar credit rating? and as a newcomer you would not have one?

We will also be in Markham and looking for a car so I've been reading this thread with interest.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

When I first arrived I picked up a 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager for $1600.
One owner from new, every receipt including original bill of sale, 200,000km.

I planned to run it for a few months until I was settled, and had it 2 1/2 years until it was involved in an accident. Barely spent a penny on it, and still got $400 for it for spares.

Don't be afraid of an older vehicle if it has been looked after, you can get a mechanic to check it over for you for $100 or less.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:23 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job!

Pete
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job.

Leasing a CRV (nice as they are if you like the SUV thing) is total overkill IMO. The GTA winter is far from insane, sure its not the UK, but its not Yellowknife either. Roads are cleared pretty swiftly.

After doing the lease thing in the past its a bit of a mugs game to be honest. OK to get more car than you can really afford, but hard to negotiate a good deal, and its a treadmill that its hard to get off as you always have a payment and always need full insurance coverage which will be as much every month as your payment.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2013 at 4:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.