Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$130 for a check up!!!? ????

$130 for a check up!!!? ????

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:17 am
Just Joined

British_boi_212121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $130 for a check up!!!? ????

This may seem like a odd question but since moving to Canada a few months ago I would like to get a dental checkup etc and to my horror without insurance I found I could pay up to $130 for a checkup and an additional $150 :for a clean!

is this normal?????

Thanks

:scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: $130 for a check up!!!? ????

Originally Posted by British_boi_212121
This may seem like a odd question but since moving to Canada a few months ago I would like to get a dental checkup etc and to my horror without insurance I found I could pay up to $130 for a checkup and an additional $150 :for a clean!

is this normal?????

Thanks

:scared:
In 2000, I paid $249 for the services you describe.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 10:20 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by British_boi_212121
I could pay up to $130 for a checkup and an additional $150 :for a clean!

is this normal?????
Actually, it sounds like a pretty good deal!

Dental work is pricey, that's for sure. If you want a far less expensive option and you have the time and patience (and the nerve!) you may want to check out a 'dental clinic' at a local college or university (where ever they train dental hygienists where you live). Basically you get a free or very cheap dental check up and clean in exchange for being 'a practice patient' for the students.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds about right. What do you have to pay for a similar dental treatment in England?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lizwil98
That sounds about right. What do you have to pay for a similar dental treatment in England?
Had mine checked and polished last week, cost £38.00 and I'm a private patient as our dentist will only see the children on the N.H.S. or people on benefits. When I was on the N.H.S. is was only about ten pounds less than this.

Last year I had to have a root canal work on one tooth and topped with a composit filling and that cost £220. Topped with amalgum it would have been £200 and both these prices were with an N.H.S. discount.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:56 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by lizwil98
in england, ive paid anywhere between £50 and £100 for a checkup and clean... all on private as i wasnt too impressed with the only NHS dentist available in my area. luckily i didnt need any other sort of work!!