Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

California was actually 24/7?

It's 20 hours a day now, but nothing has changed otherwise can still buy booze all over.

I was surprised when I first moved to BC at one how expensive the booze was and 2 how restricted it was.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I can also confirm that my nearest LCBO (the one on Dundas near the intersection with Bloor) was exactly as you describe during the whole of my first period of Toronto residency (1982-86).

As you know, I didn't arrive fresh off the boat from the UK, but after 5 years in Southern California where buying booze was a 24/7 thing from supermarkets, gas stations, convenience stores and speciality shops.

I spent Christmas Day in 1981 sunning myself in the garden drinking G&T with a slice of lime picked from our tree there. Christmas Day 1982 was rather different.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:30 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Is London Pride, bottled months ago and then shipped via boat? to Canada/Toronto really that great on this side of the ocean.?
If its canned/ bottled it'll be fine for a good few months. Personally I go for Old Speckled hen and it's difficult to find an ale brewed in north america with that level of complexity, though I'd agree the craft brewers are doing good work. The recent hop obsession in north american IPAs is doing no one any favours.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:32 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I know the Feathers passably, having lived nearby for a long time. There was a regular there who had been in the print and is now a skiffle player. He once had a Morris Marina, beige it was, he towed a caravan with it. Drinking in the Feathers always made me think of On the Busses - English but not especially the English one wants.
It definitely reaches caricature levels at times, On the Busses would be a good example. Its also a tad pricey for the area.

But they always have a local craft ale plus ESB on cask, keg Pride, and a good range of aley-type beers. The whiskey menu is sadly out of my usual pricerange.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
California was actually 24/7?

It's 20 hours a day now, but nothing has changed otherwise can still buy booze all over.

I was surprised when I first moved to BC at one how expensive the booze was and 2 how restricted it was.
Perhaps it was 20/7: even at that age I needed a few hours sleep once in a while.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sure. I was way too young to drink or care about booze in that time frame.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Perhaps it was 20/7: even at that age I needed a few hours sleep once in a while.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent beer related fred drifting chaps....

Even in this far flung place the range of beers available has improved dramatically over the 12 years or so I've been here. Heck we even have our own Bier-Markt these days although its a bit crap IMHO.

What is a continued source of angst is the cost of drinking beer here. If one goes out in downtown St John's one can expect to pay $7-11 a pint for draft. I can drink cheaper than that in London. (The one in England not Ontario).

Doesn't stop me from drinking though...

Oh yes, I've been to The Feathers too. It's where I first met the legend himself.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I for sure didn't make that up. It was well beyond my imagination that such a system existed. The LCBO shops were like the Beer Stores Pizzawheel describes except that, in the Beer Store, you can speak the name of the product and it's allowed to be visibly labeled.

I'm surprised you were 17 in 1981, btw, I'd thought you more mature.
I must have been in the more modern, forward thinking, cosmopolitan parts of Toronto in the 1980's. I was 17 in 1981 and only became of legal drinking age in 1983 so of course I had no knowledge of underage drinking in the 1981-1983 era in Toronto.

In 1982 and 1983 before I turned 19 I spent the summer in the UK and it was quite easy to slip into more modern ways of buying and consuming pints (CAMRA approved of course).

Not sure how to take your comment that I appear mature beyond my years.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

I have probably drank alcohol less then 12 times in total since moving here...The prices are insanity.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh yes, I've been to The Feathers too. It's where I first met the legend himself.
iirc, I drank Pride and you drank whatever was in the cask that week. It was shockingly long ago.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:51 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Even in this far flung place the range of beers available has improved dramatically over the 12 years or so I've been here. Heck we even have our own Bier-Markt these days although its a bit crap IMHO.

What is a continued source of angst is the cost of drinking beer here. If one goes out in downtown St John's one can expect to pay $7-11 a pint for draft. I can drink cheaper than that in London. (The one in England not Ontario).
Beer Markt is pretty crappy, for people that think craft beer is a cool look rather than nice to drink. Speaking of which I was shocked to see some old english ales labelled as craft beers when I was last over... there goes our heritage.

Not sure how to take your comment that I appear mature beyond my years.
I figured you were pretty old too; not Novocastrian ancient but venerable nonetheless. Then I did the maths (rather than comparison ages in 1981) and realised that I'm older than I thought.

It's enough to drive one to
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I figured you were pretty old too; not Novocastrian ancient but venerable nonetheless. Then I did the maths (rather than comparison ages in 1981) and realised that I'm older than I thought.

It's enough to drive one to
I often forget how old I am actually. For reference points, I can now qualify for masters football (over 50) although I'm in the over 35 league. We have a daughter who is heading to France tomorrow to study at university for a year.

I'm not as detached from cultural reference points as some of the elderly academics on this forum.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 8:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

iirc, I drank Pride and you drank whatever was in the cask that week. It was shockingly long ago.
That it was. Sadly I have little cause to visit TO these days to revisit The Feathers or any other haunt. (I recall going to the Granite City I think it was as well). One day though.

A couple of weeks ago I was drinking Theakstons at the brewery tap in Masham. Quite the highlight of a Uk vacation!
Attached Thumbnails Is 5k enough to live well in Toronto-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Aug 25th 2016 at 8:53 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 9:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel

Oi. I was an adolescent 31 in 1981.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 11:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I was 17 in 1981 and only became of legal drinking age in 1983 so of course I had no knowledge of underage drinking in the 1981-1983 era in Toronto.
I was 18 in 1975 and even though I'd been drinking in pubs since 15, they wouldn't serve me and my mate in a bar in Toronto whereas we'd had no difficulty anywhere in Montreal on the same trip.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was 18 in 1975 and even though I'd been drinking in pubs since 15, they wouldn't serve me and my mate in a bar in Toronto whereas we'd had no difficulty anywhere in Montreal on the same trip.
Some reason I thought you were older. My parents were 17/18 around that year as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.