Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

I'd say 125k is good enough to live on, i'd consider staying in Toronto if I had the potential for that salary. But i'm young and don't have any kids or dependents. But I wouldn't move to Toronto for a $50k pay difference. However, there is more to consider than money as the country I want to move to (from Canada) is in economic disaster with average pay for professionals at 20k euro p.a. gross. So YMMV. You won't mind it if you really want to come to Canada and have been planning this move from the heart, but if you were planning it for a career move than you may not end up so happy with the pay cut.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:50 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sdh199
Good to know! The salary amounts to around $50k pay cut vs what I'm earning in the UK. I know that the cost of living is lower but I don't get the sense it's THAT much lower... Previous poster link came up with 17% cost of living differencial
I'd say that is pretty accurate.

I think on $7k per month you'd be fine. You just would not save all that much.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I'd say 125k is good enough to live on, i'd consider staying in Toronto if I had the potential for that salary. But i'm young and don't have any kids or dependents. But I wouldn't move to Toronto for a $50k pay difference. However, there is more to consider than money as the country I want to move to (from Canada) is in economic disaster with average pay for professionals at 20k euro p.a. gross. So YMMV. You won't mind it if you really want to come to Canada and have been planning this move from the heart, but if you were planning it for a career move than you may not end up so happy with the pay cut.
Seriously Gozit? Come on get on with it!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I'd be commuting to downtown - spadina avenue. Would probably need to run a car for weekend trips etc too
I think you should look for a rental property in High Park/Jane/Roncesvalles/Bloor West Village/Swansea. Perhaps not the highest parts of High Park but the general area of the west end. If you find that you don't actually like Toronto then there are miles upon miles of suburban wasteland to the west of there but this, relatively urban, location minimizes the need for cars and provides easy, even walking or bicycle, access to Spadina.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:26 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that the plushest part of the west end? The only affordable part round there is Lansdowne/ Wallace-Emerson (again thinking prices rather than rents).

Swansea is lovely.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you should look for a rental property in High Park/Jane/Roncesvalles/Bloor West Village/Swansea. Perhaps not the highest parts of High Park but the general area of the west end. If you find that you don't actually like Toronto then there are miles upon miles of suburban wasteland to the west of there but this, relatively urban, location minimizes the need for cars and provides easy, even walking or bicycle, access to Spadina.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Isn't that the plushest part of the west end? The only affordable part round there is Lansdowne/ Wallace-Emerson (again thinking prices rather than rents).

Swansea is lovely.
I don't know the west end well but did play football in Swansea, very nice. When first I looked at moving out from downtown High Park was still dry so, obviously, I went east. That's less of an issue now.

The Junction surely must be cheap, I knew some people who rented a house there and it came with a steady supply of needles and condoms over the back fence. Also the bit around Hugh's Room, that seems dumpy. Parkdale is, I suppose, gentrified now, it used to be a good bet as Canadians thought it rough.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 9:52 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know! The salary amounts to around $50k pay cut vs what I'm earning in the UK. I know that the cost of living is lower but I don't get the sense it's THAT much lower... Previous poster link came up with 17% cost of living differencial

It really isn't lower, that is an urban candidate myth Cost of living is on par with the UK, insurance is way more expensive than the Uk especially car, housing is less expensive in some parts of Canada but you cancel that out by moving to Toronto.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the west end well but did play football in Swansea, very nice. When first I looked at moving out from downtown High Park was still dry so, obviously, I went east. That's less of an issue now.

The Junction surely must be cheap, I knew some people who rented a house there and it came with a steady supply of needles and condoms over the back fence. Also the bit around Hugh's Room, that seems dumpy. Parkdale is, I suppose, gentrified now, it used to be a good bet as Canadians thought it rough.
The Junction is on the rise now.

It's west of there as you pass the park that still needs some work but that is starting to turn also.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 1:40 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know it at all but an old work colleague lives just west of the railway lines and had his house valued at over a million; east of there (wallace -emerson?) is i think the rougher area on the rise.

Not sure where all the crackheads will be living in a few years time.

Originally Posted by JamesM
The Junction is on the rise now.

It's west of there as you pass the park that still needs some work but that is starting to turn also.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 1:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I don't really know it at all but an old work colleague lives just west of the railway lines and had his house valued at over a million; east of there (wallace -emerson?) is i think the rougher area on the rise.

Not sure where all the crackheads will be living in a few years time.
For the OP

This is what a 3 bedroom house rental will cost + utilties on top of the price.

When checking the listings, make sure its not half a house or a duplex

The Junction

Junction | Local House Rentals in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds

The Beaches
Beaches | Local House Rentals in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds

East York
East York | Local House Rentals in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds

Oakville
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-house-rental/...c43l1700273a15

Last edited by not2old; Aug 24th 2016 at 1:56 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 2:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by not2old
For the OP

This is what a 3 bedroom house rental will cost + utilties on top of the price.

When checking the listings, make sure its not half a house or a duplex

The Junction

Junction | Local House Rentals in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds

The Beaches
Beaches | Local House Rentals in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds

East York
East York | Local House Rentals in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds

Oakville
Oakville | Local House Rentals in City of Toronto | Kijiji Classifieds

From the first link, this looks like a typical Toronto house, on budget, fenced garden, easy commute:

Junction/Bloordale-Modern/ Renovated Semi-Detached Home | house rental | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Old Aug 24th 2016, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

From the first link, this looks like a typical Toronto house, on budget, fenced garden, easy commute:

Junction/Bloordale-Modern/ Renovated Semi-Detached Home | house rental | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Nice to see the use of words like "semi-detached"

The amount of rent for such a place leaves me shaking my head.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 3:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not posh enough for someone from London UK?

House prices for similar style semi's in the area are listed over $700k.

At least the OP gets see within a 30 minute transit trip what $2500 - $3500 rent will get them
Old Aug 24th 2016, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by not2old
Maybe not posh enough for someone from London UK?
Pah! That house is $2500 a month, have a look and see what $2500 a week gets you in, say, Dalston.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 4:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Pah! That house is $2500 a month, have a look and see what $2500 a week gets you in, say, Dalston.

Could it be the OP is coming here from Dalston, if so, then he is way better off in good old T.O

Even at $2550/mth rent for that basic semi, add on top $300/mth for all in utilities (water, hydro, gas) + whatever cost for tenant insurance, security deposits for all sorts of things, small repaint or wallpaper for the kids rooms, furnishing the place, appliances, TV purchase - the average all in cost spread over a 12 month rental is going to be more the $3000/mth mark, I'm guessing close to $3500, which is 50% of his salary.

Of course the one off capital cost expenditures, hotel etc should be ignored

OP, needs also to take into account the first month settlement costs, ranging from - living in a hotel, meals, taxi etc $$$$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.