Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

How are public schools for children who do not speak dutch?

How are public schools for children who do not speak dutch?

Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:32 am
Just Joined

jjoensuu is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How are public schools for children who do not speak dutch?

Hi

I wanted to ask about how the public schools work in Netherlands for children who do not speak dutch - are there special classes for them and will they be expected to learn dutch to a certain degree within a certain time period?

I have received a job offer from a company in Netherlands but we do not speak any dutch in the family (finnish, swedish, and english). We have an 11-year old daughter who would likely have start in a public school.

If anyone has experience of a similar situation I would appreciate hearing about how it was to start in a public school in Netherlands. Are the teachers supportive and willing to communicate with the parents in english, for example?

Thanks in advance,
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

brummie girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How are public schools for children who do not speak dutch?

teachers will be suppportive and able to communicate in english, no problem

Schools receive extra government subsidy if they have taken on children who do not speak dutch. Your child will follow an extra language program (NT2)

Depending on the school they might decide to keep her a year longer at primary school until she is ready to go to secondary school.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:08 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I cant help with experiences of going to a Dutch school without speaking the language, because we actually lived in Holland and moved to Australia 2 years ago. I myself am English, but we always spoke Dutch in the house, and I was always working, that I never took the time to teach them English at home either.

My 2 boys (9 & 12 at the time of migrating) arrived in Australia with almost no English at all. 2 months later they were speaking it pretty well, and now 2 years down the road, they are above average in English at school, and have terrible Aussie accents

Kids are sponges and will pick up the language very quickly. If they are already multilingual, that will only make matters easier.

As mentioned the teachers all speak good English, and most of the kids at that age will be starting English lessons as well. Hope this helps a little.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:39 am
Just Joined

jjoensuu is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies brummie girl and furkew