Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

To your ears, what is the most annoying sound?

To your ears, what is the most annoying sound?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To your ears, what is the most annoying sound?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its OK, some of us Welsh and half-Welsh people aren't that keen on the Home-Counties-BBC-Sooper-dooper-English accent
Well it is a dying accent - long replaced by Estuary.

Listen to the current breed of popular presenters. They've all been schooled in 'Estuary Presenter'. That famous chef Heston something or other is a prime example.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Kids, the ones about 4 - 11 that are old enough to know not to whine or SCREAM ( girls usually ) but do it anyway.

Particularly annoying when combined with parents who cant stand own kids, locking them out to play in pool or street from daybreak - 5 am in summer :curse:

Also Badge mentioned accents. I cant stand the aussie accent when on men it turns into Yeah, no, nahh, yeah, no, mate, yeah. Do they not know any other words

And the aussie woman you dont even know who calls you mate or dahl, and litters each sentence with F & C words assuming its OK with you and why do they talk so LOUD .

Oh and people on planes who talk so loud they dont seem to understand the person they are speaking to is only 2 inches away.
The loudness does get to me at times, sometimes it seems that a lot of Qlders feel they need to shout all the time and it makes for a horribly noisy atmosphere,especially st work
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The loudness does get to me at times, sometimes it seems that a lot of Qlders feel they need to shout all the time and it makes for a horribly noisy atmosphere,especially st work
Hmmm...I've only worked with 2 QLDers who were down from QLD - any others have not let on or were 'normal'.

We had a QLDer trainer - he was very loud and even quite rude to the women at times. He would not have got away with it for long if he had stayed around.

The only other QLDer I worked with was a real gent - but he sounded like he had gravel in his mouth.

Maybe it is a QLD thing.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Dripping of a tap.

A friend of mine who, when she wants her own way, talks to her husband in a baby voice!!!

People who consistently drop H's and T's or use yous or Satday!

The alarm first thing in the morning.

Crying babies.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
It doesn't suprise me that whining kids are the most irritating sound: we are genetically programmed to take notice of infants and children, no matter how we would like to ignore them, as in ancient times, the survival of the species depended on protecting the infants so that they could grow up and reproduce.
Yeh, what she said

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hmmm...I've only worked with 2 QLDers who were down from QLD - any others have not let on or were 'normal'.

We had a QLDer trainer - he was very loud and even quite rude to the women at times. He would not have got away with it for long if he had stayed around.

The only other QLDer I worked with was a real gent - but he sounded like he had gravel in his mouth.

Maybe it is a QLD thing.
Queensland .... Queensland ... Nah, I prefer the extra 7 characters even if it does tax the keyboard. And a couple of fewer pushes on the shift key makes it only 5 extra keypresses, bargain.

Annoying Sounds?

1) My old boss, hence the reason I left
2) Nickelback and any of those American singers that sound like they are constipated
3) Anyone on The Amazing Race (double points for a Yank)
4) The Voice Inside My Head
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:58 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Also Badge mentioned accents. I cant stand the aussie accent when on men it turns into Yeah, no, nahh, yeah, no, mate, yeah. Do they not know any other words
Absolutely - the height of eloquence!!!
But it's very common. Even the politicians struggle to elevate themselves from monosyllabic Australian idioms.

Far North Queensland women can be pretty loud and some of the the guys in the Far North (locals) just exude latent aggression and a committed desire to not waste words - I don't understand the social nuances enough to wonder if loud simple language equates to a lower socio-economic class. The prevalence of 'like' in every other sentence irritates me too. 'And I was like, 'nah', and he was like 'wow'....(although that's the younger age group)

Don't mean to sound snooty I'm sure they find me overly circumlocutious and can't understand a word I say.

Oh and the most irritating sound in the world - screaming babies and kids that repeat everything whining, 'daddy can I have an icecream?' x15
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:00 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Eschew obfuscation!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Absolutely - the height of eloquence!!!
But it's very common. Even the politicians struggle to elevate themselves from monosyllabic Australian idioms.

Far North Queensland women can be pretty loud and some of the the guys in the Far North (locals) just exude latent aggression and a committed desire to not waste words - I don't understand the social nuances enough to wonder if loud simple language equates to a lower socio-economic class. The prevalence of 'like' in every other sentence irritates me too. 'And I was like, 'nah', and he was like 'wow'....(although that's the younger age group)

Don't mean to sound snooty I'm sure they find me overly circumlocutious and can't understand a word I say.

Oh and the most irritating sound in the world - screaming babies and kids that repeat everything whining, 'daddy can I have an icecream?' x15
And then we have UK accents, lack of vocabulary, eloquence etc

A whole nother can of worms
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:16 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And then we have UK accents, lack of vocabulary, eloquence etc

A whole nother can of worms
There are certainly large swathes of UK society who struggle to express themselves so badly they require constant reaffirmation that their meaning has been transmitted. The 'in it?'s, 'd'ya know what I mean?'s etc

However, it is very much an Oz thing; almost ingrained culturally - it's a rejection of the prim and proper vocabulary and formalities of Mother England I think. At first I found it endearing.....
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Any time a dentist's drill is on the TV or radio I have to switch off/over.
The South African accent; like getting punched in the ears.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Next doors dog at 11pm barking constantly while they sit in the house doing what they do then let the bugger in half hour later.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:56 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

The sound of my wife, at 3am, telling me to stop snoring..........
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:34 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
It doesn't suprise me that whining kids are the most irritating sound: we are genetically programmed to take notice of infants and children, no matter how we would like to ignore them, as in ancient times, the survival of the species depended on protecting the infants so that they could grow up and reproduce.
That was one of the first things I learned to zone out

I'm a terrible mother.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Screaming kids in supermarkets. Seriously it's not rose tints but mine did not do this. The second one would start, I'd dump the shopping and go home. They very soon learnt that no food, no entertainment and stroppy bitch mother just wasn't worth it.

Nails down blackboards.
Tapping on counters.
Sniffing or pathetic coughing - habit not illness. Shut the F up.
Nigella Lawson's voice.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
There are certainly large swathes of UK society who struggle to express themselves so badly they require constant reaffirmation that their meaning has been transmitted. The 'in it?'s, 'd'ya know what I mean?'s etc

Could you use less and smaller words in your post darlin'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.