Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

To your ears, what is the most annoying sound?

To your ears, what is the most annoying sound?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default To your ears, what is the most annoying sound?

I know I often post on here about annoying whining kids, but I'd never say they are the worst sound in the world, even the ones that just whine in that high-pitched Queensland wail (sorry if this is your kids, it just gets to me!!). But according to another bunch of mad scientists, the sound of a child whining is the most irritating in the world to adults.

The sound of fingernails on a blackboard, people having loud conversations on mobile phones in public - the list of things that annoy us is extensive.
A study found that a whining kid is the most effective way of distracting people carrying out elementary cognitive tasks.

Participants who were asked to do simple subtraction while listening to a range of noises - including machine noise and infant cries - made more mistakes and completed fewer problems while listening to a whining child.

So come on, be honest, what noises REALLY annoy and distract you?

I'd have to say squeaky chalk on blackboards, grinding gears on trucks, electric drills.......
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:14 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To your ears, what is the most annoying sound?

My sister in law's voice.

Thank God I never have to hear it again (except, perhaps for a week while we're in the UK. But I doubt she'll deign to visit us anyway, so yoohoooo)

Other annoying noises - sound of someone vomiting. It has a knock on effect.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:15 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know I often post on here about annoying whining kids, but I'd never say they are the worst sound in the world, even the ones that just whine in that high-pitched Queensland wail (sorry if this is your kids, it just gets to me!!). But according to another bunch of mad scientists, the sound of a child whining is the most irritating in the world to adults.

The sound of fingernails on a blackboard, people having loud conversations on mobile phones in public - the list of things that annoy us is extensive.
A study found that a whining kid is the most effective way of distracting people carrying out elementary cognitive tasks.

Participants who were asked to do simple subtraction while listening to a range of noises - including machine noise and infant cries - made more mistakes and completed fewer problems while listening to a whining child.

So come on, be honest, what noises REALLY annoy and distract you?

I'd have to say squeaky chalk on blackboards, grinding gears on trucks, electric drills.......
The daughter has THE most annoying whine, that drives me to distraction, along with her incessant silly talking, silly voices, incomprehensible words, talking with either her fingers or a clothy in her mouth. She doesn't get anything when she behaves like that but I STILL have to tell her to ask for something properly

A buzzing fly or whining mosquito would run a very close second. Or someone eating noisily (ie with their mouth open)
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:27 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

As a man I can easily tune out the whining and whinging of kids and women.

Repetitive tapping is usually what gets me.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:29 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
The daughter has THE most annoying whine, that drives me to distraction, along with her incessant silly talking, silly voices, incomprehensible words, talking with either her fingers or a clothy in her mouth. She doesn't get anything when she behaves like that but I STILL have to tell her to ask for something properly
All that from a 20yo.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:29 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi

Repetitive tapping is usually what gets me.
Walking on the wild side today?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:30 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

All that from a 20yo.
How old do ya think I am?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:31 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Walking on the wild side today?
Carries on typing. Undistracted.

Last edited by Rambi; Jun 22nd 2011 at 9:32 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:32 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

How old do ya think I am?
I'm guessing you will be 33 this year.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:32 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

Carries on typing. Undestracted.
taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapta ptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapt aptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap

Is it getting to you yet?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:34 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapta ptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapt aptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap

Is it getting to you yet?
Will you stop that bloody noise. I'm trying to make coffee here
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I knew someone would say that, you weren't the one I expected though

Repetitive tapping is usually what gets me
first guy i lived with had a habit of twitching his knee up and down, very rhythmic (he was a drummer) but if his knee was against the table it would end up with the whole table shaking. He never knew he was doing it till it was pointed out, even when it got so bad he was spilling people's drinks, but gooooood did it annoy me!!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:37 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

I'm guessing you will be 33 this year.
Aw thanks - I wish. Add another 5 to that

The 78 refers to the year my beloved horse was born and Rasen was her name
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:37 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I knew someone would say that, you weren't the one I expected though
My wife has pointed out my special skill on more than one occasion. It usually takes a couple of goes before I register it though.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:38 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Aw thanks - I wish. Add another 5 to that

The 78 refers to the year my beloved horse was born and Rasen was her name
Cool. Easily misled me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.