Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default You know you are in Australia when...

You have bar-like conversations with Woolies checkout girls. Today, I collected my son from college and we popped into Woollies for a few things on the way home. The chirpy smiling checkout girl says to us "Happy Poets Day", Yeah okay I thought and smiled politely back at her. Next she says "Do you know what poets day is all about?" "...Uh no" I replied. So she shouts at the top of her voice "P**s Off Early - Tomorrow Saturday!!!" and then proceeded to laugh uncontrollably like an Aussie Barbara Windsor. :dropjaw::bemusedlook: x 2
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by paulry
You have bar-like conversations with Woolies checkout girls. Today, I collected my son from college and we popped into Woollies for a few things on the way home. The chirpy smiling checkout girl says to us "Happy Poets Day", Yeah okay I thought and smiled politely back at her. Next she says "Do you know what poets day is all about?" "...Uh no" I replied. So she shouts at the top of her voice "P**s Off Early - Tomorrow Saturday!!!" and then proceeded to laugh uncontrollably like an Aussie Barbara Windsor. :dropjaw::bemusedlook: x 2
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:54 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the supermarket cringe resurfaces...

After the initial 'how's your day so far?' I had a check out girl spot I was buying veggie products. She declared at the top of her voice, 'I love my meat' to the delight of a couple of elderly de-shoed blokes in the queue.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:01 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer

After the initial 'how's your day so far?' I had a check out girl spot I was buying veggie products. She declared at the top of her voice, 'I love my meat' to the delight of a couple of elderly de-shoed blokes in the queue.
joking apart, could it be that in UK we take ourselves just a little bit too seriously?

Strange but since living here and really understanding most don't give a shit, its actually stopped rubbing me up as much.

Maybe it doesn't really matter
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:28 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Or when I was buying wine and condoms she asked whether I was on a promise or not. Take a lucky guess says I.

You couldn't make this stuff up.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi
Or when I was buying wine and condoms she asked whether I was on a promise or not. Take a lucky guess says I.

Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:56 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
joking apart, could it be that in UK we take ourselves just a little bit too seriously?

Strange but since living here and really understanding most don't give a shit, its actually stopped rubbing me up as much.

Maybe it doesn't really matter
Or maybe you're becoming more like them!

But jaw drops aside generally I'm enjoying these expected gems that spill forth from the Aussie people
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:57 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Turban Explorer;9307705]Ah, the supermarket cringe resurfaces...

After the initial 'how's your day so far?' I had a check out girl spot I was buying veggie products. She declared at the top of her voice, 'I love my meat' to the delight of a couple of elderly de-shoed blokes in the queue.[/QUOTE]

Ok now my porridge is in the bin.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:02 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

you try to pop round to see yer mom on a sunday morning...
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When you see someone barefoot and your first thought is 'oh god, not another major pointless rant waiting to happen on BE' and your second thought is 'who gives a shit'.

When you walk up the driveway to check the mail and nearly get your head taken off by free newspaper guy lobbing newspaper out of van window at high speed.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

[QUOTE=scottishcelts;9308009]

After the initial 'how's your day so far?' I had a check out girl spot I was buying veggie products. She declared at the top of her voice, 'I love my meat' to the delight of a couple of elderly de-shoed blokes in the queue.[/QUOTE]

Ok now my porridge is in the bin.
rofl::
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:04 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

...you can't wait for Winter.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:09 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
...you can't wait for Winter.
Absolument. I draped a jumper around my shoulders the other evening and almost danced around in delight.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:35 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I was in the Mess in Poona. Must have been around 02 (1902 of course).

We used to thrash our houseboys and grooms to within an inch of their lives if they even looked at us. “Damn you boy, keep those eyes down” we would shout as we spilled our G&T on them. I remember “Bungalow” Branson killing a couple when he had drunk a little too much whiskey.

Now to hear that Australian girls have the temerity to actually speak to customers! Unbelievable.

I assume they at least did it with averted eyes? Did you consider horsewhipping?

Who do these colonial girls think they are?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

YKYIAW.....

You squeeze your way into a jam packed bar to watch a boxing match with a pint and youre the ONLY female in the whole bloody place... The crowds part and some one offers you their seat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.