Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another shark attack.......

Yet another shark attack.......

Old Jun 6th 2016, 12:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another shark attack.......

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree

A totally pointless exercise

People being killed by sharks is not cool but going into the ocean makes you part of the food chain............
It's almost as if they (powers that be) believe they can invoke human laws. This shark killed the woman, we need to go kill the shark. No you don't, you leave these beautiful creatures living in their own habitat.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

It's horrible and my worst nightmare. I really feel for the victims and their family's. Attacks are certainly getting much more frequent but I don't believe in culling them. When I was a teenager, every time I went for a snorkel or a dive I'd scream into the water, old tip from reading Hans Has books lol. As my son (when he was about 6) once said to his 8 year old sister when she was going off at him for eating meat "It's the food chain Em, sharks can eat us and we can eat cows".
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
It's horrible and my worst nightmare. I really feel for the victims and their family's. Attacks are certainly getting much more frequent but I don't believe in culling them. When I was a teenager, every time I went for a snorkel or a dive I'd scream into the water, old tip from reading Hans Has books lol. As my son (when he was about 6) once said to his 8 year old sister when she was going off at him for eating meat "It's the food chain Em, sharks can eat us and we can eat cows".

In my younger (and stupider) years I used to swim out into the ocean just north of Lancelin with crayfish traps, baited with rotten meat.

I was swimming back one day when a fin popped up about 5 feet in front of me. I think I beat Jesus' walk on water trick that day. Luckily for me, it was only a dolphin.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 7th 2016 at 7:28 am.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

In my younger (and stupider) years I used to swim out into the ocean just north of Lancelin with crayfish traps, baited with rotten meat.

I was swimming back one day when a fin popped up about 5 feet in front of me. I think I beat Jesus' walk on water trick that day. Luckily for me, it was only a dolphin.
Oh my lord!!! I remember going on grade 7 camp to Lancelin. We caught a cray boat over to Lancelin Island to see the seals and birds nesting. The boat couldn't go in close to the island so they ferried kids and teachers over in the dinghy - those of us that could swim, just jumped in and swam to shore. Those were the days. My nephew was a pearl diver at Broome 25 years or so ago, he had some very close calls with sharks and crocs and then one of his mates was taken by a tiger shark, that was the end of his diving days.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 7th 2016 at 7:29 am.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my lord!!! I remember going on grade 7 camp to Lancelin. We caught a cray boat over to Lancelin Island to see the seals and birds nesting. The boat couldn't go in close to the island so they ferried kids and teachers over in the dinghy - those of us that could swim, just jumped in and swam to shore. Those were the days. My nephew was a pearl diver at Broome 25 years or so ago, he had some very close calls with sharks and crocs and then one of his mates was taken by a tiger shark, that was the end of his diving days.
Imagine the risk analysis on that school excursion these days - it'd never happen!

I've always admired the guts of the Broome pearl divers, not only sharks but salties to contend with. Sad to hear about your nephew's mate, no wonder he gave it up.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 7th 2016 at 7:29 am.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I agree

A totally pointless exercise

People being killed by sharks is not cool but going into the ocean makes you part of the food chain............
Or crocs, gorillas etc...
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Imagine the risk analysis on that school excursion these days - it'd never happen!

I've always admired the guts of the Broome pearl divers, not only sharks but salties to contend with. Sad to hear about your nephew's mate, no wonder he gave it up.
Yeah, he was fortunate enough to be working at the Pearl Farm of an old family friend of ours and he ended up marrying the daughter so ended up managing the farm and getting his skippers license and stuff when he quit diving. His wife still seeds pearl for the Japanese sometimes I think but he's out of the industry all together now.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Another today near Esperance

Very sad

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tern-australia
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:40 am
Concierge

Another today near Esperance

Very sad

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tern-australia
One of those terribly sad incidents that everyone who surfs knows is a possibility. So young too, and how horrible for her dad who was with her
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

One of those terribly sad incidents that everyone who surfs knows is a possibility. So young too, and how horrible for her dad who was with her
Absolutely. I would love to go doing something I loved though. (Ignoring the pain and terror she must have gone through) I do hope they're not hunting down the shark
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:38 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another shark ... just eating?

If humans want to put themselves on the buffet menu then surely this isn't news?
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading today that her mum and siblings were on the beach watching while it all happened. How horrible for them all to have to witness this while being stranded on the beach helpless. Very sad indeed.