Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you rely on Uber for an early airport run?

Would you rely on Uber for an early airport run?

Old May 6th 2016, 4:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you rely on Uber for an early airport run?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Simples

Then said Meerkat can compile a report.....KompareTheUber.com ........
So today the Meerkat decided to play KomparetheUber.com

Taxi to work yesterday - turned up late though booked for well outside peak hour (5.30am), refused to listen to my directions, got lost on a 7 minute trip. Grunted into his phone the whole way in some strange tongue, possibly Arabic(?) Cost $20 (would have been 13 if he hadn't got lost!)

Uber to airport today -turned up within 3 minutes, greeted me politely, loaded bags into car for me, produced sweets and water, gave me a discount, told me how to get Uber from the airport on return, chatted in a friendly but not intrusive way thru the trip, and unloaded bags at the airport having taken the fastest route. Normally getting a cab to the airport costs $40-$45. Today it cost me $6.43

I'm converted.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Taxi to work yesterday - turned up late though booked for well outside peak hour (5.30am), refused to listen to my directions, got lost on a 7 minute trip. Grunted into his phone the whole way in some strange tongue, possibly Arabic(?) Cost $20 (would have been 13 if he hadn't got lost!)

Uber to airport today -turned up within 3 minutes, greeted me politely, loaded bags into car for me, produced sweets and water, gave me a discount, told me how to get Uber from the airport on return, chatted in a friendly but not intrusive way thru the trip, and unloaded bags at the airport having taken the fastest route. Normally getting a cab to the airport costs $40-$45. Today it cost me $6.43

I'm converted.
Sounds like it makes a lot of sense when you put it like that.

But I will never turn.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm converted.
Me too

Just been in Singapore and only used Uber for all our transport. Cheaper and usually more convenient than taxis and the metro. Trip to the airport normally about SGD25 in a taxi - SGD17 in an Uber
Old May 6th 2016, 6:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Can you book this uber in advance or must it be done via a mobile phone at that moment?
Old May 6th 2016, 9:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Can you book this uber in advance or must it be done via a mobile phone at that moment?
No, there's no advance booking.
Old May 6th 2016, 10:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Sounds like it makes a lot of sense when you put it like that.

But I will never turn.
The other bonus for Uber is if a driver's score goes below 4.6, they have to have more training. Fairly sure taxi drivers don't get training in the first place, let alone once they're out there doing the job.
Old May 6th 2016, 10:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The other bonus for Uber is if a driver's score goes below 4.6, they have to have more training. Fairly sure taxi drivers don't get training in the first place, let alone once they're out there doing the job.
The inability of the taxi industry to adapt to the Uber threat, with the business model laid out before them AND Uber being illegal - its going to the stuff of MBA lectures for decades to come.

Automated vehicles will kill the lot of them though.
Old May 6th 2016, 10:41 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
yes she told me that. They rely on people to rate them well or they get no work and are off the books till they improve and retrain. She'd been driving for them for a year and said its great, people are so pleased to get a better service than the cab companies provide.

I've also looked on the app a few mornings lately when going to work. 6-7 around my area even at 6am so i reckon i'm ditching the standard cabs for work too and its Uber all the way.
Old May 6th 2016, 10:45 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BEVS
Originally Posted by bcworld
No, there's no advance booking.
But there are a lot about. I left oodles of time today, checked the phone to find about 20 in the Albion/Lutwyche area ( just north of the Valley) and when i booked i had a cab there in about 3-4 minutes - and she found my narrow street without three u turns and reversings, which makes a change!

No need for cash or wondering about what they'll do with your card, you register a card beforehand and its charged automatically when the trip finishes.
Old May 6th 2016, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

so while waiting for a delayed flight out of Mel......does anyone know -uber in London? the same app? same credit cardetc? or do i need to set up a differet account?
Old May 6th 2016, 1:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

so while waiting for a delayed flight out of Mel......does anyone know -uber in London? the same app? same credit cardetc? or do i need to set up a differet account?
Same account. You can set up s different credit card
Old May 7th 2016, 10:51 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Same account. You can set up s different credit card
Thats great, thanks!
Old May 8th 2016, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well curiosity get better of me so I just downloaded the app. When I look at the first screen which just has my current location on it says "no cars available". Is that normal? Or is it because I live in the countryside and there really is nothing available here.

I then got a couple of fare estimates one from home to Heathrow which came in at £134 to £179 for the second size car which might be required with luggage. Usual taxi price £110. Next estimate was from home to nearest market town / train station. Cheapest car was £13-18. Versus usual taxi price of £16. So I think it not going to work for me.
Old May 8th 2016, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Was in Brisbane during the week (for my sins)

Taxi from the airport. Now I know I said Wickham (not sure if I said street or terrace) the number of the place and stated Fortitude Valley.

The dumb arse took me to Spring Hill. Add an extra $15 onto the fair.

And that loony QLD govt bans Uber so these muppets can ply their evil trade.
Old May 8th 2016, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep same app same card. Like Zulu I used it all over Singapore which is a winner as the local taxis are a bit hit and miss especially when it rains. Have used in London too. Receipts go straight to the email so that saves a wallet full of the paper cretins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.