Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I love OZ! what a great day we just had

I love OZ! what a great day we just had

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:14 am
Just Joined

disky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant future
Default I love OZ! what a great day we just had

We just spent the day on bribie island (1 hour 30 mins drive from Brisbane, just south of the river). Our first trip there, we have done redcliffe and surfers paradise but this was the best.

What amazing place it really was like paradise, my wife even went for a swim in the sea, Her first since we arrived in oz 5 months ago.

We were to the south of the bridge (west side) down a little almost esturary like area with a big sandbank producing a lovely turquoise pool infont of us, with mangrove trees behind for shade. Even saw a couple of largish stingrays (at least thats what we think they were)

Mike and Alison

Will post some pics on the blog.

http://uk-to-oz.blogspot.com/
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I love OZ! what a great day we just had

Originally Posted by disky2005
We just spent the day on bribie island (1 hour 30 mins drive from Brisbane, just south of the river). Our first trip there, we have done redcliffe and surfers paradise but this was the best.

What amazing place it really was like paradise, my wife even went for a swim in the sea, Her first since we arrived in oz 5 months ago.

We were to the south of the bridge (west side) down a little almost esturary like area with a big sandbank producing a lovely turquoise pool infont of us, with mangrove trees behind for shade. Even saw a couple of largish stingrays (at least thats what we think they were)

Mike and Alison

Sounds great especially when your stuck at work in the UK and it's cold and raining today
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds fab!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've been here since 1974 and travel as much as possible, everywhere that we go in Australia we have a fantastic time, it is such a huge country with so many wonderful things to do and see. With the Internet now it is possible to plan any trips to get the most out of them, we usually have a pretty good idea of what there is to see in any area but our plans are never rigid in case we hear of something else when we get there. You don't have to spend a fortune on flash hotels, we mix it but love to stay in hostels where you meet so many interesting people and are able to swap ideas with them. We are now retired so we are able to travel in shoulder seasons outside of school holidays, the places that we visit are glad to see us and we don't take up space that families need.

Fuel costs have gone up but they are still not prohibitive because they are only part of the costs, on the open road you tend to use much less fuel anyway. In a couple of weeks we will start planning our next trip to Kangaroo Island in South Australia probably in February 2009, we will be driving and looking at many historical places on the way. We also like to mix it with some overseas holidays.

We also like to share our experiences on our travel blogs, they are also a good source of information to us, nice to get opinions that are not biased by the need to sell advertising.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Mike and Alison

Did you camp in a tent?
I'm looking for nice places to camp over xmas, did you need a 4WD?

Jazzys
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:17 am
Just Joined

disky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant futuredisky2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jazzys
Did you camp in a tent?
I'm looking for nice places to camp over xmas, did you need a 4WD?

Jazzys
No just a day trip, only 90 mins drive from home, but now we are thinking about camping out there one day. You dont need a 4wd to get onto the island and theres a caravan park in the civilised part that might accomodate campers. But if you want to get to the out of the way camoing spots you will need a 4WD.

Mike and Alison

Pics now on the blog.

Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

No just a day trip, only 90 mins drive from home, but now we are thinking about camping out there one day. You dont need a 4wd to get onto the island and theres a caravan park in the civilised part that might accomodate campers. But if you want to get to the out of the way camoing spots you will need a 4WD.

Mike and Alison

Pics now on the blog.

Thanks, did you get to where the pics were taken without a 4WD?
Can you park nearby?

Jazzys
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jazzys
Thanks, did you get to where the pics were taken without a 4WD?
Can you park nearby?

Jazzys
Yeah theres parking for 6 or so cars just 70 yards away, its not as remote as it looks theres houses behind the trees.

Not sure you could camp on that bit of bea.

Mike.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:12 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Nice one that place looks great and my Auntie lives on that island too........free digs

O an its freezing here this morning just about to throw another log on the burner

Dougie