Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Yep I agree that I'm the type to hold this back. Hopefully we don't get hit by bullshit politics with a scare campaign telling us we can't stand by and let all these road deaths occur which results in a quick transition to autonomous vehicles. Obviously road deaths are a massive problem but should be dealt with as a higher priority than terrorism or drug smuggling. I acknowledge I've been anti government in my last number of posts but it bothers me that things only really change when a corrupt government wants it to. And it has nothing to do with public safety or technological progression.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
My manual car is not likely to become obsolete in my lifetime and the success of the autonomous car will come down to people wanting it or not.
Hope you last longer than that! 15 years and it will be as desirable as a British Leyland rust bucket ....

If a truly environmentally friendly car that would last long enough without 'refilling' and offered the same or necessary power was available, I think people would opt for that first. As I said, autonomous public transport makes more sense, but people like to own and drive their own cars.
Robotaxi gives you pickup for moving the furniture, large cruiser for the long distances, small city car for a spot of shopping, sports car for the manual driving.

Ownership gives you hassle and a fast depreciating asset.

I agree it will take a while for people to realise the change, but I think like the swap from feature phones to smartphones, it will happen much faster than you expect.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hope you last longer than that! 15 years and it will be as desirable as a British Leyland rust bucket ....

Robotaxi gives you pickup for moving the furniture, large cruiser for the long distances, small city car for a spot of shopping, sports car for the manual driving.

Ownership gives you hassle and a fast depreciating asset.

I agree it will take a while for people to realise the change, but I think like the swap from feature phones to smartphones, it will happen much faster than you expect.
Non smartphones are still around. Autonomous cars will be belted beyond recognition by regulation and will require large infrastructure changes as well as legal changes. These things don't happen quickly. Of course I'm only guessing but I can't see a good idea being adopted super fast by any western government. They'll stall claiming safety or legality reasons when in fact they just need to work out the best way to profitize it for the sake of the private sector.

But Joe Hockey thinks the poor don't drive cars so maybe we're not as far away from it as I think. All these politicians are being chauffeured around in Telsa's and Bentley's. I guess they'd be first in line for an automated Maserati. Just wait for Bronwyn Bishop's equivalent to claim for a 12 person drone trip to Europe and back.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well no and that's the point. No-one knows where it's headed. And technology didn't create my job. It was created by demand. Most technology has been compromised for the sake of profit and the cost or billing of this technology is the new 'innovation'. No clever scientist required. AI could also be the killer of the developer, the person you believe has a job for life.
Err ... if you are in IT then technology created your job. Saying "well no" doesn't really create a valid argument otherwise.

Also, if we look at the trends of global unemployment and homelessness, it suggests that technology isn't replacing jobs with other jobs.
What trend are you talking about? Is there a trend?
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
Err ... if you are in IT then technology created your job. Saying "well no" doesn't really create a valid argument otherwise.

What trend are you talking about? Is there a trend?
I've already answered. Demand created my job. Technology didn't as it's ever evolving and in my job I assist in deciding which technologies to and not to adopt. Technology is an enabler, not a job maker. The opposite in fact.

There is a trend mate, there's always a trend. Welcome to the world of changing circumstances.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I've already answered. Demand created my job. Technology didn't as it's ever evolving and in my job I assist in deciding which technologies to and not to adopt. Technology is an enabler, not a job maker. The opposite in fact.

There is a trend mate, there's always a trend. Welcome to the world of changing circumstances.
Wow. I have to disagree on all fronts. Technology created your job and there is no trend of upward unemployment.

Sounds to me you have another agenda. Something revolving around hatred of governments maybe.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow. I have to disagree on all fronts. Technology created your job and there is no trend of upward unemployment.

Sounds to me you have another agenda. Something revolving around hatred of governments maybe.
So business owners didn't create my job? I'm pretty sure you said it was before. Technology is a broad way to claim job creation. Technology has always existed. But just because technology exists, it doesn't mean there are jobs. Demand creates jobs.

No trend of upward unemployment? Well it's good to know we have the right man on the case.

Yes I hate governments. I don't agree with that system. Not an agenda. I'm pretty honest about that.

Now you can disagree all you want. I doubt there is a poster on here who would expect anything else from you.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So business owners didn't create my job? I'm pretty sure you said it was before. Technology is a broad way to claim job creation. Technology has always existed. But just because technology exists, it doesn't mean there are jobs. Demand creates jobs.

No trend of upward unemployment? Well it's good to know we have the right man on the case.

Yes I hate governments. I don't agree with that system. Not an agenda. I'm pretty honest about that.

Now you can disagree all you want. I doubt there is a poster on here who would expect anything else from you.
No upward unemployment trend I'm afraid. Of course there may be some countries that are bucking the trend, but in the case of Australia and the UK, where this forum as its roots, unemployment figures are trending downward.

United Kingdom Unemployment Rate | 1971-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Australia Unemployment Rate | 1978-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Sorry that type of left wing Mediscare stuff didn't work out for you.

And of course technology created your job, and without it your employer would have no reason to hire you. Technology creates jobs .... FACT.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:31 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Nice little writeup of the automation of trucks problem

1.8 million American truck drivers could lose their jobs to robots. What then? - Vox
This really is all heading in the wrong direction. Truck drivers, postal workers... heck, even fighter jet pilots trained in dogfighting tactics are apparently soon to be obsolete as well.

Before you know it things will be like in that tv series Trepalium with only a small chunk of the population employed, always scared of losing their job as the worst thing that could happen to them.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I agree that I'm the type to hold this back. Hopefully we don't get hit by bullshit politics with a scare campaign telling us we can't stand by and let all these road deaths occur which results in a quick transition to autonomous vehicles. Obviously road deaths are a massive problem but should be dealt with as a higher priority than terrorism or drug smuggling. I acknowledge I've been anti government in my last number of posts but it bothers me that things only really change when a corrupt government wants it to. And it has nothing to do with public safety or technological progression.

One aspect that could point to your theory having merit, is the rise of Uber around the world. They've had amazingly easy run into the statute books of most countries and have basically wiped the taxi industry. It wasn't until I saw how tied up they were with driverless about 14 months back that I had a quiet Ahaaa to myself.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

No upward unemployment trend I'm afraid. Of course there may be some countries that are bucking the trend, but in the case of Australia and the UK, where this forum as its roots, unemployment figures are trending downward.

United Kingdom Unemployment Rate | 1971-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Australia Unemployment Rate | 1978-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Sorry that type of left wing Mediscare stuff didn't work out for you.

And of course technology created your job, and without it your employer would have no reason to hire you. Technology creates jobs .... FACT.
Global unemployment mate. I said global unemployment. Yes, all those places that technology is bombing included. The UK and Australia doesn't make up the world.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Global unemployment mate. I said global unemployment. Yes, all those places that technology is bombing included. The UK and Australia doesn't make up the world.
Can you give me some global unemployment rising cases? Of course you could start with basket cases like Greece and Venezuela. Nothing to do with tech or automation of course.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One aspect that could point to your theory having merit, is the rise of Uber around the world. They've had amazingly easy run into the statute books of most countries and have basically wiped the taxi industry. It wasn't until I saw how tied up they were with driverless about 14 months back that I had a quiet Ahaaa to myself.
Look at what Uber has done for employment around the world and only possible through automation and tech. You couldn't do all that on your phone 10 years ago. As of mid 2015, Uber had gone from 4 people in 2010 to 3000 people working as non drivers and has employed over a million drivers globally.

I have no sympathy for traditional taxi's, drivers and their licenses. The world has changed, they need to jump on board or die.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 6:36 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Look at what Uber has done for employment around the world and only possible through automation and tech.
What exactly have they done? Isn't it just by-passing local regulations in a myriad countries? I'd bet money that if they were a company from a smaller, much more (politically)insignificant country, they would have been ripped out with the roots in most markets...
Old Aug 6th 2016, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by astera
What exactly have they done? Isn't it just by-passing local regulations in a myriad countries? I'd bet money that if they were a company from a smaller, much more (politically)insignificant country, they would have been ripped out with the roots in most markets...
Who cares. They have given well over a million people globally an income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.