Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Oct 23rd 2017, 5:40 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by Beoz
Parking yes. That means 4 trips rather than 2 if you assume autonomous cars will park in areas where property isn't a premium. More cars, more traffic, more congestion, further pointing to living near where your life functions.
If we assume that most of those cars will end up being robotaxis, the parking demand is reduced, not increased.

Well we already have telepresence in the form of Skype and Webex. I am a heavy user of telepresence and the one thing it does for me is generate work in places further a field. Which means I have to visit the places because you need the live handshake, you need to look the business in the eye. Its all about collaboration. Its all about relationships.
You might, but those who have grown up online? Do you think they will be that enamored of the physical meeting, particularly if we are talking real AR solutions (not skype). I have a feeling that's another bit of conventional wisdom that will progressively dissipate.

Plus, of course, automation of the sales function....

These two still go unanswered.

1. Automation requires money to develop. No money no development. How does this work if no one has jobs?
Once again, the tech/service company creates automation X which allows company Y to get rid of Z hundreds of staff, paying for the automation. If the global economy then goes into a nose dive - well nobody said capitalism was smart.

2. We have seen in history that automation increases jobs. What changes from here? ("Its different this time round" does really cut the mustard)
As has been explained, if there are no more jobs you are capable of doing, if automation can do all that you can do, you are by definition unemployable.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
If we assume that most of those cars will end up being robotaxis, the parking demand is reduced, not increased.
RoboTaxis pricing the same as a train or bus. Cool. That will work, but I think you may have over estimated the pricing model.

You might, but those who have grown up online? Do you think they will be that enamored of the physical meeting, particularly if we are talking real AR solutions (not skype). I have a feeling that's another bit of conventional wisdom that will progressively dissipate.

Plus, of course, automation of the sales function....
Yes even those who have grown up online. If you are going to spend millions on a system, you aren't going to buy through a website without meeting the faces behind it, several times.

Of course that will all change when the machines make the decisions for us. Skynet will rock.

Once again, the tech/service company creates automation X which allows company Y to get rid of Z hundreds of staff, paying for the automation. If the global economy then goes into a nose dive - well nobody said capitalism was smart.
Bit of a shot self in foot moment there Garry. Z hundreds of staff no longer have money to keep both X and Y company a float. You getting this yet?

As has been explained, if there are no more jobs you are capable of doing, if automation can do all that you can do, you are by definition unemployable.
Bit like the effect the decimation of the textile and farming industry had on jobs. Again I will ask, what changes from here?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 8:29 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Yes even those who have grown up online. If you are going to spend millions on a system, you aren't going to buy through a website without meeting the faces behind it, several times.
Hey look, no sooner have I said that online will start to take the place of physical public transport journeys and ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.7306a5f2dad3

Bit of a shot self in foot moment there Garry. Z hundreds of staff no longer have money to keep both X and Y company a float. You getting this yet?
You don't seem to be able to work out the ordering on this. Z hundreds of people losing jobs is after X & Y have exchanged money. And the government will probably be blamed first as well (probably for not cutting taxes if right wingers are involved).

You getting this yet? Or have you run out of feet to shoot yourself in?

Bit like the effect the decimation of the textile and farming industry had on jobs. Again I will ask, what changes from here?
Try rereading what's been written if it hasn't sunk in, it's not that complex.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 2:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you understand the potential of smart machines Beoz? You keep asking what's different this time, a little reading on AI in 2016, 2017 onward will inform you considerably. It's not all going to be constrained by traditional lack of investment. As Garry keeps pointing out you need to understand scale and minimal marginal cost. No Facebook or Amazon without that, despite your very worthy 19th century economic axioms.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm stoked with this automation work, mainly because I like watching How It's Made on discovery. Chocolate chip cookies and bagles next week, can't wait
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey look, no sooner have I said that online will start to take the place of physical public transport journeys and ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.7306a5f2dad3
.... and? We know people work from home, we know people have meetings via skype and webex (I told you earlier). What you didn't tell us that your article also cited bad servicing and ride sharing for its decline. When it suits you right?

Meanwhile, speaking of travelling. Well would you look at that. Economic conditions caused the blip in passenger numbers, not Skype or Webex.

And look at that again, business classes are well and truly back on track since the GFC.

You don't seem to be able to work out the ordering on this. Z hundreds of people losing jobs is after X & Y have exchanged money. And the government will probably be blamed first as well (probably for not cutting taxes if right wingers are involved).

You getting this yet? Or have you run out of feet to shoot yourself in?
No No No. Its not a single cycle my friend, its a repeat cycle. So where ever you are in the cycle Z is before X & Y. There your theory is screwed.

Surely this must be making sense? How's that foot? 2 shots must hurt.

Try rereading what's been written if it hasn't sunk in, it's not that complex.
Re-read what? You've not explained yourself yet. What happen to all those farmers, what happen to all the textile workers. Why did we survive?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Why don't you understand the potential of smart machines Beoz? You keep asking what's different this time, a little reading on AI in 2016, 2017 onward will inform you considerably. It's not all going to be constrained by traditional lack of investment. As Garry keeps pointing out you need to understand scale and minimal marginal cost. No Facebook or Amazon without that, despite your very worthy 19th century economic axioms.
The potential is amazing. The potential was amazing when the designed the tractor. Nothing happen did it?

To understand scale you need to understand the business behind technology. We don't make shit if it doesn't sell. Its as simple as that. Do you think tech companies will do it for charity or for fun? Get real.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

.... and? We know people work from home, we know people have meetings via skype and webex (I told you earlier). What you didn't tell us that your article also cited bad servicing and ride sharing for its decline. When it suits you right?
You aren't related to Trunbull, are you?

The article specifically stated that the decline couldn't be mainly attributed to service quality - but you really didn't want to face the proof of your incorrect understanding, did you?

And look at that again, business classes are well and truly back on track since the GFC.
Lies, damn lies, and dodgy axes. Take a look what happens if you don't fiddle two axes.

Now you have both the economy and business seats declining at the same rate with the GFC, but only economy really climbing out of the doldrums post 2007.

No No No. Its not a single cycle my friend, its a repeat cycle. So where ever you are in the cycle Z is before X & Y. There your theory is screwed.
Actually it's YOUR cycle that's screwed. X sells automation tech to Y who can then undercut the competition. So if the Z staff can no longer afford as many of the service/widgets of Y, which companies do you think go to the wall - those with a lower cost base, or those still employing Z workers?

So its the automation that wins out, and even more Z workers are unemployable, with the Y automation companies doubly able to take that work. It's first mover advantage magnified by economic downturn.

Surely this must be making sense? How's that foot? 2 shots must hurt.
Here's a clue, I know for feedback loops. All you are going to do is turning your own feet into swiss cheese.

Re-read what? You've not explained yourself yet. What happen to all those farmers, what happen to all the textile workers. Why did we survive?
It's been explained to you, several times by now.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:33 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget [see postscript :-)]
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You aren't related to Trunbull, are you?

The article specifically stated that the decline couldn't be mainly attributed to service quality - but you really didn't want to face the proof of your incorrect understanding, did you?

Lies, damn lies, and dodgy axes. Take a look what happens if you don't fiddle two axes.

https://i.imgur.com/E0BoE8e.gif
Now you have both the economy and business seats declining at the same rate with the GFC, but only economy really climbing out of the doldrums post 2007.

Actually it's YOUR cycle that's screwed. X sells automation tech to Y who can then undercut the competition. So if the Z staff can no longer afford as many of the service/widgets of Y, which companies do you think go to the wall - those with a lower cost base, or those still employing Z workers?

So its the automation that wins out, and even more Z workers are unemployable, with the Y automation companies doubly able to take that work. It's first mover advantage magnified by economic downturn.

Here's a clue, I know for feedback loops. All you are going to do is turning your own feet into swiss cheese.

It's been explained to you, several times by now.
Why do you do this to yourself. You keep bleating on about automation killing jobs. I keep smashing your theory. You keep coming up with no proof. I keep providing factual evidence.

Lets keep it simple. What happen to the farmers? At least try and answer that.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you do this to yourself. You keep bleating on about automation killing jobs. I keep smashing your theory. You keep coming up with no proof. I keep providing factual evidence.

Lets keep it simple. What happen to the farmers? At least try and answer that.
You're not so much smashing any theories as deluding yourself. Rather than dredge up historical statistics from a former age, why address why in a competitive market place firms will not implement technologies that give them a cost advantage. The argument that they don't want to impoverish their potential customers is invalid.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rather than dredge up historical statistics from a former age, why address why in a competitive market place firms will not implement technologies that give them a cost advantage.
I have addressed it many times. Lets do it again. Firms would rather implement technologies that make money, not save money. Remember, saving is finite, making money is infinite. The finite takes a back seat to the infinite.

The argument that they don't want to impoverish their potential customers is invalid.
Its quite the opposite. Technology companies do want to impoverish their customers. They want the money in their customers bank accounts, moving to their own. The problem is, if their customers have no money, there's no money to shift.

As we know, the first thing technology companies wind back when economic hard times hit is R&D, and they revert to maintaining the existing customer base.

If any of what you say has an ounce of truth, and a large portion of world finds themselves without money, the last thing they will be buying is technology, and as a result, technology development stagnates because the technology companies are without money too.

Are you starting to see how this works?

BTW, how are those farmers doing?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well what do ya know. Someone at news.com.au has been reading this thread and caught on to a few posts around the 500 mark.

Did we not talk about in-store experiences earlier?

Baby Boomers and Pre-Boomers want good customer service and a checkout process that is nice and simple.
Generation Y and Z had different needs. They want shops to provide them with “in store experiences” — that is the much vaunted “excite and delight” retail mantra of reeling in the dollars by wowing the customers.
For instance, Harvey Norman’s new flagship store in Auburn, in Sydney’s west, includes barista and cooking demonstrations, virtual reality gaming exhibits, GoPro workshops and in-store video game sessions against famous gamers.

Amazon: What bricks and mortar retailers need to change to stop drift online
Old Oct 25th 2017, 10:49 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Well what do ya know. Someone at news.com.au has been reading this thread and caught on to a few posts around the 500 mark.

Did we not talk about in-store experiences earlier?

Baby Boomers and Pre-Boomers want good customer service and a checkout process that is nice and simple.
Generation Y and Z had different needs. They want shops to provide them with “in store experiences” — that is the much vaunted “excite and delight” retail mantra of reeling in the dollars by wowing the customers.
For instance, Harvey Norman’s new flagship store in Auburn, in Sydney’s west, includes barista and cooking demonstrations, virtual reality gaming exhibits, GoPro workshops and in-store video game sessions against famous gamers.

Amazon: What bricks and mortar retailers need to change to stop drift online
That's just Gerry Harvey trying to spruik his new store (it seems important to him, heard the ads?) and keep investors from running away as Amazon comes to clean his clock. It's more wishful thinking than anything.

What he wants people to believe is that oldsters without much nouse will go into his stores, and wowed by 'demonstrations' and blatant lies by spotty teenagers, will pay him 30% profit margins. Problem is, of course, electronics is a commodity game and the margins of online stores are much less - so practical reality is people showroom and don't hand over the cash (not a debate, look at Dixons & Comet in the UK).
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's just Gerry Harvey trying to spruik his new store (it seems important to him, heard the ads?) and keep investors from running away as Amazon comes to clean his clock. It's more wishful thinking than anything.

What he wants people to believe is that oldsters without much nouse will go into his stores, and wowed by 'demonstrations' and blatant lies by spotty teenagers, will pay him 30% profit margins. Problem is, of course, electronics is a commodity game and the margins of online stores are much less - so practical reality is people showroom and don't hand over the cash (not a debate, look at Dixons & Comet in the UK).
Errr. Gerry Harvey had no input into this article. Nice try though.

The shift is on. You can be a Dixons or Comet if you like, or you can evolve and provide the in store experience with the prices to match online - and those price matches are happening, if not bettering the online model. Go into any Bing Lee store and hold up the online price. If they haven't already beaten it, they will.

How we doing on the farmers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.