Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Another reason along with money, why people don't automate as quickly as they should.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Isn't it rather odd that US farmers have been complaining about a lack of workers for years. Isn't automation supposed to take care of that.

And before the loonies jump up and down about Trumps immigration policies. That's illegal immigration. For H1B visa's the policy is this.

“I will end forever the use of the H-1B as a cheap labor program, and institute an absolute requirement to hire American workers first for every visa and immigration program,”
And one of the reasons Merkel gave for allowing over 1m 3rd-world muslims into Germany was that due to an ageing population, Germany was facing a looming labour shortage and these people would fill that need

Hang on, isn't automation going to do away with the need for labour so why the requirement for 1m bods? I know the German government showed severe incompetence in letting this happen but they ain't that incompetent!
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And one of the reasons Merkel gave for allowing over 1m 3rd-world muslims into Germany was that due to an ageing population, Germany was facing a looming labour shortage and these people would fill that need

Hang on, isn't automation going to do away with the need for labour so why the requirement for 1m bods? I know the German government showed severe incompetence in letting this happen but they ain't that incompetent!
But remember, we are told the existing population of western countries don't want to do these menial, low paying jobs. (which are supposed to be automated by now anyway)

And that's why we need menial, low costing immigrants. I'm not sure which is more offensive. Anyhow, I'm sure the bots will come along at some point and sort all us humans out.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 10:50 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of fun :

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

Not sure that I think they have it right who's for the chop, but see what you think.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Bit of fun :

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

Not sure that I think they have it right who's for the chop, but see what you think.
Totally safe as a manager - because robots can't manage the soft side or plan or manage expectations...or keep people accountable across what might be perhaps more intangible, interesting thuogh that people who report are not totally safe.....!
Old Jun 5th 2017, 5:10 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Totally safe as a manager - because robots can't manage the soft side or plan or manage expectations...or keep people accountable across what might be perhaps more intangible, interesting thuogh that people who report are not totally safe.....!
Actually I'd bet that many managers could be for the chop since AI could probably do all those things better (particularly than Australian managers).

It's rote, following a process, and one of the reasons that the number of direct reports are limited is because human's are c**p once the number goes above 7.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'd bet that many managers could be for the chop since AI could probably do all those things better (particularly than Australian managers).

It's rote, following a process, and one of the reasons that the number of direct reports are limited is because human's are c**p once the number goes above 7.
Sounds as a tech-oriented person you have a bit of a chip. ...old chap. :-)
Plenty of reasons why tech still needs people.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Sounds as a tech-oriented person you have a bit of a chip. ...old chap. :-)
Plenty of reasons why tech still needs people.
Well, since I'm more of a manager than anything else, I feel qualified to realise just how formulaic is most management. A large part of the work can be done, is done, by IT. Just cut out the PHB sending the emails and planning yet another project with a waterfall lifecycle that is guaranteed to miss it's objectives (because that's what they always do).
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You're missing the point that your subordinates will be robots, so the soft skills will be irrelevant. Not humanoid contraptions mind, but automated processes, machines, systems.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, since I'm more of a manager than anything else, I feel qualified to realise just how formulaic is most management. A large part of the work can be done, is done, by IT. Just cut out the PHB sending the emails and planning yet another project with a waterfall lifecycle that is guaranteed to miss it's objectives (because that's what they always do).
Without automation you wouldn't have email and "yet another project" in the first place.

See, automation creates jobs.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
You're missing the point that your subordinates will be robots, so the soft skills will be irrelevant. Not humanoid contraptions mind, but automated processes, machines, systems.
that was what I did allude to (but I don't believe necessarily all I read) ...however tech will always need people to make sense of it.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 12:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

that was what I did allude to (but I don't believe necessarily all I read) ...however tech will always need people to make sense of it.
Yes, I'm sure a few of us meatheads will still have a role to play. Just not as many as before.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Linkedin entry. Not entirely true. Some of this is just convenience, but the point is the same

"Netflix did not kill Blockbuster. Ridiculous late fees did.
Uber did not kill the taxi business. Limited taxi access and fare control did.
Apple did not kill the music industry. Being forced to buy full-length albums did.
Airbnb did not kill the hotel industry. Limited availability and pricing options did.
Amazon did not kill other retailers. Bad customer service and experience did.
Technology by itself is not the real disruptor.

Being NON-customer centric is the biggest threat to any business."
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

When it all comes crashing down, those of us that have made the effort to maintain and expand our manual skills will be the new rulers. You computer nerds and the ruling classes will be our bitches, think of it as the Admirable Crichton but on a global scale. It won't be long Mwahahahaha
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
When it all comes crashing down, those of us that have made the effort to maintain and expand our manual skills will be the new rulers. You computer nerds and the ruling classes will be our bitches, think of it as the Admirable Crichton but on a global scale. It won't be long Mwahahahaha
There's a shortage of plumbers. Why - everyone needs to sit on the throne at some point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.