Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by GarryP
Australia's is looking to put in place a series of rule changes over the next two years to allow conditionally autonomous vehicles, will full autonomy accepted from 2020.

In Just Two Years Australian Cars Won't Need A Driver | Gizmodo Australia

Who says it's not happening ?
The article does. It contradicts itself.

Australian transport ministers have reaffirmed the existing policy position that the human driver remains in full legal control of a vehicle that is partially or conditionally automated, unless or until a new position is developed and agreed.

These changes come at the end of a one year project to research the barriers to automation.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:53 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The article does. It contradicts itself.

Australian transport ministers have reaffirmed the existing policy position that the human driver remains in full legal control of a vehicle that is partially or conditionally automated, unless or until a new position is developed and agreed.

These changes come at the end of a one year project to research the barriers to automation.
But the point is, by 2020 they are saying they are going to allow fully automated vehicles. That's comparatively close, in planning horizon terms. By that point they will have to have sorted themselves out on the legal bull. Practically they are putting robotaxis and robotrucks on the road in that timeframe.

Realistically automation is going to hit from ~2020, and is likely to hit hard and fast.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

But the point is, by 2020 they are saying they are going to allow fully automated vehicles. That's comparatively close, in planning horizon terms. By that point they will have to have sorted themselves out on the legal bull. Practically they are putting robotaxis and robotrucks on the road in that timeframe.

Realistically automation is going to hit from ~2020, and is likely to hit hard and fast.
This is a lot clearer. The white paper looks like an interesting read.

https://www.ntc.gov.au/about-ntc/news/media-releases/a-roadmap-of-reform-for-automated-vehicle-regulation/
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

This is a lot clearer. The white paper looks like an interesting read.

https://www.ntc.gov.au/about-ntc/new...le-regulation/
Interesting paper.

I think they have missed some key issues, thinking from a legalistic rather than technical scenario standpoint. For instance, they haven't recognised that THEY provide information that will be used by such vehicles - and if they screw up the lawyers for the manufacturers of those vehicles are going to make sure they pay - eg they will be liable.

Just think how often signs, markings, etc. are wrong.

At least they realise they are going to have to be internationally compliant.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting paper.

I think they have missed some key issues, thinking from a legalistic rather than technical scenario standpoint. For instance, they haven't recognised that THEY provide information that will be used by such vehicles - and if they screw up the lawyers for the manufacturers of those vehicles are going to make sure they pay - eg they will be liable.

Just think how often signs, markings, etc. are wrong.

At least they realise they are going to have to be internationally compliant.
There is no doubt vehicle automation here today, but there's a whole host of issues they will stumble across in its inception. 2 years. Nah.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

There is no doubt vehicle automation here today, but there's a whole host of issues they will stumble across in its inception. 2 years. Nah.
Oh I don't think they have realised just the extent of what's going to happen yet. But they have 4 years till they have to have full automation sorted - so maybe they will catch up. Like it or not, it's going to come along at its own pace, not governments.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I don't think they have realised just the extent of what's going to happen yet. But they have 4 years till they have to have full automation sorted - so maybe they will catch up. Like it or not, it's going to come along at its own pace, not governments.
4 years to widely deployed, fully automated cars?

I'll call bullshit on this - a tech nerd circle jerk theory

In 2020 repost this post to prove how wrong I'd been
Old Nov 20th 2016, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I can't wait for drones and automated cars to be commonplace. The drones will be like clay pigeon shooting for pikies, and the automated cars, the challenge will be to run one off the road with a 1986 Commodore. I may have grown out of my hoon days but I still know what makes them tick haha.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 8:57 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Personally I can't wait for drones and automated cars to be commonplace. The drones will be like clay pigeon shooting for pikies, and the automated cars, the challenge will be to run one off the road with a 1986 Commodore. I may have grown out of my hoon days but I still know what makes them tick haha.
Whenever someone says something like this, you just have to point out - they will be covered in cameras. They are going to need to be instrumented up the wazzoo just to work, and they will be recording it as well. Someone starts playing redneck, they are going to be made examples of by a bunch of lawyers.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whenever someone says something like this, you just have to point out - they will be covered in cameras. They are going to need to be instrumented up the wazzoo just to work, and they will be recording it as well. Someone starts playing redneck, they are going to be made examples of by a bunch of lawyers.
I think you wildly underestimate just how much fun it will be. Balaclavas don't cost much.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, drones are going to be major targets - and hackers will be trying everything in the book to hack them. Free pizza lads?
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I got a drone last week. Amazing piece of tech and incredibly easy to fly. Quite a lot of common sense rules around it which means you have to travel a bit to use it.

Here is my first video.

https://vimeo.com/192208706
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I got a drone last week. Amazing piece of tech and incredibly easy to fly. Quite a lot of common sense rules around it which means you have to travel a bit to use it.

Here is my first video.

Pretty cool.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Pretty cool.
Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:33 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Here is my first video.

Impressive work. And picture quality is remarkably good too for what I understand to be a built-in camera?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.