Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Sep 14th 2016, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by Beoz
Exploding screen or exploding battery. I'd rather be trying to claim a refund on an exploding battery rather than having the argument with Apple whether or not my flimsy broken screen was my own fault or not.
Whatever mate. Not interested in this pointless discussion with you on why you think Apple is rubbish. Get a life.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 7:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Whatever mate. Not interested in this pointless discussion with you on why you think Apple is rubbish. Get a life.
Can I just put forward this article:

https://hackernoon.com/the-age-of-ap...955#.szgi7twlr

which suggests apple is so rubbish, it's the new microsoft.

Just to ensure you both have something to moan about

Meanwhile this article suggests the 1% will turn to robots rather universal basic income to keep the poor huddled masses from revolting :

https://www.inverse.com/article/2089...the-revolution

Personally I'd say drugs is cheaper and you can make money off it as well; but T1000 is possible too....
Old Sep 14th 2016, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

Bit of a dumb article. It starts at 2000 and forgets all about Apple's prior successes before round 2. Who's too say they won't comeback for a 3rd time?

Well today Apple have flopped. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Maybe an Intel Microsoft JV

Wintel VR: Intel, Microsoft, And Their Two-Pronged Plan To Democratize VR, AR And MR
Old Sep 14th 2016, 7:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile this article suggests the 1% will turn to robots rather universal basic income to keep the poor huddled masses from revolting :

https://www.inverse.com/article/2089...the-revolution

Personally I'd say drugs is cheaper and you can make money off it as well; but T1000 is possible too....
Top tip:
Just because some hipster nerd with an opinion publishes an article on a trendy leftie tech website, this doesn't make him any more relevant than you or me

I say again, how are the 1% going to continually grow their wealth - and pay for the innovations and R&D that will be needed to develop better, er, robots - if there are no consumers?

Do try harder
Old Sep 14th 2016, 7:38 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

How much have Samsung shares tanked over this? Sheesh!

The iPhone or iPad is way ahead of all this Android junk, both in terms of hardware as well as software. Even Android fanatics will admit that if you want a tablet that's super-responsive and efficient then the iPad will be hard to beat. And in terms of security it's a non-comparison between the iPhone and anything running Android, which has more security holes than Swiss cheese...
Old Sep 14th 2016, 7:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

The iPhone or iPad is way ahead of all this Android junk, both in terms of hardware as well as software. Even Android fanatics will admit that if you want a tablet that's super-responsive and efficient then the iPad will be hard to beat. And in terms of security it's a non-comparison between the iPhone and anything running Android, which has more security holes than Swiss cheese...
Yeah, good hardware and well built but they use that truly, epically shitty IOS operating system - which basically makes them fashion accessories

Thanks but no thanks

For an awesome tablet get a SP4 running W10
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed you quickly moved to tablets because you couldn't keep up the steam on the phone.

Ho Ho Ho ...... Tablets .... So 2010.

Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:36 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yeah, good hardware and well built but they use that truly, epically shitty IOS operating system - which basically makes them fashion accessories

Thanks but no thanks

For an awesome tablet get a SP4 running W10
IOS is a good system, perfect for tablet use. It's not meant to replace a desktop though.

W10 as in Windows? Thanks but no thanks, I've made by break from Windows years ago and have no intention of going back.

The best OS I have seen for something between a full OS and a tablet system is actually Chrome OS, commonly used in Chromebooks. It's brilliant, especially when coupled with the Chromebook Pixel.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

IOS is a good system, perfect for tablet use. It's not meant to replace a desktop though.

W10 as in Windows? Thanks but no thanks, I've made by break from Windows years ago and have no intention of going back.

The best OS I have seen for something between a full OS and a tablet system is actually Chrome OS, commonly used in Chromebooks. It's brilliant, especially when coupled with the Chromebook Pixel.
Windows 10 is the best tab OS on the market. But you left windows long ago so you wouldn't know.

Anyhow. Tabs are dead. Its all about phablets and laplets these days. If only MS gave a hoot about the phablet market. Their phone OS is the best minus the lack of care for the app store. Hence I am forced to run Android.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Windows 10 is the best tab OS on the market. But you left windows long ago so you wouldn't know.

Anyhow. Tabs are dead. Its all about phablets and laplets these days. If only MS gave a hoot about the phablet market. Their phone OS is the best minus the lack of care for the app store. Hence I am forced to run Android.

What I want is a dual screen fold out or fully flexible phone, preferably Windows, that folds out to about 8 inches (or more) that I can connect to any media device, including Android Apple and Linux.... I think Lenovo are doing one. Something with 8tb's of storage would be handy... although I'd live with connectivity to external hard drives at this stage.

Surely that kind of thing is near now.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What I want is a dual screen fold out or fully flexible phone, preferably Windows, that folds out to about 8 inches (or more) that I can connect to any media device, including Android Apple and Linux.... I think Lenovo are doing one. Something with 8tb's of storage would be handy... although I'd live with connectivity to external hard drives at this stage.

Surely that kind of thing is near now.
Samsung have been working on one for years.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-foldable-smartphone-news/

Still seems a while off.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Samsung have been working on one for years.

Samsung Galaxy X | Rumors, Specs, Release Date, and More | Digital Trends

Still seems a while off.
Nice one.... I'd say that changes the whole PC/Laptop industry when they get that right.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nice one.... I'd say that changes the whole PC/Laptop industry when they get that right.
Phone to Laptop and all the variations in between all in one.

That said, your glasses might be doing it all for you and kill that idea off.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 12:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

OK, look, it's bad enough astera giving it the apple koolaid, but you're just being silly now.

Nobody in their right might thinks the win10 metro interface is the best OS on the market - if for no other reason that nobody really bothers making apps for it. It's a nasty kludge that's well behind the curve and is pretty much dead in the water.

As for tabs being dead, well the ipad pro alone, you know, the big, overpriced one they keep trying to push on TV, outsold the MS surface last year. Overall MS had about 2.4% of the market in 2015, with apple on 28%. Guess who got the rest...

I'll agree that the total market has been falling, in the face of phablets, but then so have laptops and desktops. People are happy with what they have and have no good reason to buy new (Win10 is a dud), particularly since the prices are stupidly high.

It looks very like MS will throw in the towel on the Lumia phones (market share is basically invisible, <1%) and attempt to shock the corpse with a 'surface phone'. Expectations are not high.

Dragging this back to the point of the thread - all these devices are on a plateau and have been for years now. Nobody needs to spend more money on overpriced new kit that does exactly the same as the old kit - be it phones, tablets, laptops, or desktops. In fact, since in several areas things have been regressing as prices have been increasing, there is a benefit to keeping the old kit running. Manufacturers have tried artificial obsolescence; but it's not really flying.

There's only two things on the horizon that look possible to entice people to spend again. The first is VR/AR, which really does open new vistas, and potential to get rid of the screen size contradiction. It also needs a new interaction model.

And the second is AI - the smarts to understand audio and visual input, comprehend what's needed, and deliver it. The same AI that's hitting at the automation side of things. Not only does that need silicon that finally moves away from the "desktop PC in a phone" model we're had for ages, the interaction model fundamentally changes here as well.

If its smart enough to do your job, it's smart enough to answer your mail.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK, look, it's bad enough astera giving it the apple koolaid, but you're just being silly now.

Nobody in their right might thinks the win10 metro interface is the best OS on the market - if for no other reason that nobody really bothers making apps for it. It's a nasty kludge that's well behind the curve and is pretty much dead in the water.

As for tabs being dead, well the ipad pro alone, you know, the big, overpriced one they keep trying to push on TV, outsold the MS surface last year. Overall MS had about 2.4% of the market in 2015, with apple on 28%. Guess who got the rest...

I'll agree that the total market has been falling, in the face of phablets, but then so have laptops and desktops. People are happy with what they have and have no good reason to buy new (Win10 is a dud), particularly since the prices are stupidly high.

It looks very like MS will throw in the towel on the Lumia phones (market share is basically invisible, <1%) and attempt to shock the corpse with a 'surface phone'. Expectations are not high.

Dragging this back to the point of the thread - all these devices are on a plateau and have been for years now. Nobody needs to spend more money on overpriced new kit that does exactly the same as the old kit - be it phones, tablets, laptops, or desktops. In fact, since in several areas things have been regressing as prices have been increasing, there is a benefit to keeping the old kit running. Manufacturers have tried artificial obsolescence; but it's not really flying.

There's only two things on the horizon that look possible to entice people to spend again. The first is VR/AR, which really does open new vistas, and potential to get rid of the screen size contradiction. It also needs a new interaction model.

And the second is AI - the smarts to understand audio and visual input, comprehend what's needed, and deliver it. The same AI that's hitting at the automation side of things. Not only does that need silicon that finally moves away from the "desktop PC in a phone" model we're had for ages, the interaction model fundamentally changes here as well.

If its smart enough to do your job, it's smart enough to answer your mail.
You seem to be confused over the difference between a tablet and laplet.

But if you want to include a Surface in the tablet category, it grew a whopping 9% in Q1 of this year placing it second in top selling tablet brands of Q1 2016 , which is remarkable considering its its price - 30% more than the iPad Pro. Now considering the Fanbois are renowned for their impulse purchasing, I wonder how long it will last.

Anyhow, Microsoft themselves are pitching the Surface beyond the iPad Pro and going for the MacBook Air. Microsoft taunting Apple .... ho ho ho. Android Tabs, IPad Pro's and Surface Pro's are not really a like for like comparison these days.

So much for being poo pooed about the death of the tablet and the rise of the Laplet some time back - looks like its all happening as predicted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.