Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Windows are expensive!

Windows are expensive!

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Windows are expensive!

So, we borrowed a carpet cleaning machine from Bunnings and attacked a few of our rooms. Really quite pleased with the results but that's going off topic. We turned the ceiling fan up to high to dry one of the carpets a bit quicker and then decided to remove one of the sliding windows to clean it. Sal lifted it out of the frame and straight into the fan! It was awful but, thankfully, she got away with only a tiny cut on her nose - could have been much worse.

Anyway, I dismantled the frame and took it along to the glass shop. $155 to replace the glass! I was horrified. I'm going to have a look around tomorrow to see if I can get a better deal but is glass really that expensive?

Sal reckons that, since replacement windows are often claimed on insurance, they have artificially inflated the prices to rip everybody off. Any truth in that do you think?
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windows are expensive!

Anything where they think you can't buy from overseas, they try and stitch you on. Not enough competition or enough consumer protection.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
So, we borrowed a carpet cleaning machine from Bunnings and attacked a few of our rooms. Really quite pleased with the results but that's going off topic. We turned the ceiling fan up to high to dry one of the carpets a bit quicker and then decided to remove one of the sliding windows to clean it. Sal lifted it out of the frame and straight into the fan! It was awful but, thankfully, she got away with only a tiny cut on her nose - could have been much worse.

Anyway, I dismantled the frame and took it along to the glass shop. $155 to replace the glass! I was horrified. I'm going to have a look around tomorrow to see if I can get a better deal but is glass really that expensive?

Sal reckons that, since replacement windows are often claimed on insurance, they have artificially inflated the prices to rip everybody off. Any truth in that do you think?
Glass tends to be expensive

I once priced up a sheet of 10mm safety glass for a shower screen that I was looking at installing. It was eye-wateringly expensive

Saying that, it's defintely worth shopping around
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't sound that expensive to me - does that include fitting, labour and materials?

S
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
That doesn't sound that expensive to me - does that include fitting, labour and materials?

S
I dismantled the frame and took it to the shop and they install the glass in the frame. It would have been over $200 had I called them out. $110 just for the glass if I want to fit it myself.

Been to a few demolition yards but no luck so far
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Suggestion from website is
  • $38 per square metre for float glass
  • $145 per square metre for low iron glass
  • $220 per square metre for low emission glass
  • $200 per square metre for double-glazed glass
  • $320 per square metre for laminated glass
How Much Does Glass and Glazing Cost?

However my bet is the lower priced jobs are considered a nuisance and priced accordingly.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I dismantled the frame and took it to the shop and they install the glass in the frame. It would have been over $200 had I called them out. $110 just for the glass if I want to fit it myself.

Been to a few demolition yards but no luck so far
How is this expensive? What on earth are you expecting, $20?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
How is this expensive? What on earth are you expecting, $20?
'Expensive' is in the eye of the beholder, surely? It was more than I was expecting to pay so, yes, I think it's expensive.

I wasn't expecting $20 for a professional job but, being a cheapskate doityourselfer, I am hoping to find an old window of the same size in a demolition yard for way less than three figures. We shall see
Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GarryP
Suggestion from website is
  • $38 per square metre for float glass
  • $145 per square metre for low iron glass
  • $220 per square metre for low emission glass
  • $200 per square metre for double-glazed glass
  • $320 per square metre for laminated glass
How Much Does Glass and Glazing Cost?

However my bet is the lower priced jobs are considered a nuisance and priced accordingly.
Thanks Garry, I appreciate your help. Glaziers around here are all around the same price so I know what to expect if I can't find a lump of old glass to suit
Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

'Expensive' is in the eye of the beholder, surely? It was more than I was expecting to pay so, yes, I think it's expensive.

I wasn't expecting $20 for a professional job but, being a cheapskate doityourselfer, I am hoping to find an old window of the same size in a demolition yard for way less than three figures. We shall see

Do you have Cert III in Glazing and Window Systems?

S
Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:11 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

You can get free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 until recently.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
You can get free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 until recently.
U beauty !
Old Aug 10th 2016, 10:48 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Try LINUX, it's free.