Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why no reciprocal treatment? (moved from Immigration)

Why no reciprocal treatment? (moved from Immigration)

Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

abc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud of
Default Why no reciprocal treatment? (moved from Immigration)

Can anyone tell me why europeans (including british) have to go thru the points system to gain entry to australia while australians can easily enter europe (including uk) to work and stay permanently? Is europe becoming a lesser region compare to australia?
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why no reciprocal treatment?

Originally Posted by abc1
Can anyone tell me why europeans (including british) have to go thru the points system to gain entry to australia while australians can easily enter europe (including uk) to work and stay permanently? Is europe becoming a lesser region compare to australia?
You have to be joking. Go to the UK forum and have a look at the non-EU spouse thread - then come back and tell me it's easy for an Australian to get into the UK.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, don't bother. You're either trying to wind people up or you haven't got a clue - either way I can't be bothered.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I think the perception is that it is easy because so many Australians have historical family links to the UK or Europe which mean they can easily move to Europe (albeit not necessarily permanently) - far more than the other way round. That those people are only a subset of all Australians does not occur to most people.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by louie
I think the perception is that it is easy because so many Australians have historical family links to the UK or Europe which mean they can easily move to Europe (albeit not necessarily permanently) - far more than the other way round. That those people are only a subset of all Australians does not occur to most people.
I suppose I was a bit mean. It just burns me though, when people make comments such as that while there are so British citizens who can't go home with their non-EEA spouse. It'd only take 5 minutes of web searching to see the truth.

I'll try to be good. But I can't promise anything
Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why no reciprocal treatment? (moved from Immigration)

First post. Got to be a wind up.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Why no reciprocal treatment? (moved from Immigration)

Can anyone tell me why europeans (including british) have to go thru the points system to gain entry to australia while australians can easily enter europe (including uk) to work and stay permanently?
No we can't. I got into the UK with an ancestry visa, and even then I wasn't entitled to benefits or permanent residence.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:14 am
Just Joined

abc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud of

There is this backdoor route via other eu countries to get into UK. No need to sit for ielts, work or skill assessments and pay astronomical visa fees so long as one partner is from eu or uk. However, Australia starts charging high fees even one can smell or see the visa.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:49 am
Concierge

There is this backdoor route via other eu countries to get into UK. No need to sit for ielts, work or skill assessments and pay astronomical visa fees so long as one partner is from eu or uk. However, Australia starts charging high fees even one can smell or see the visa.
I wonder what smell Oz visas have? Probably eucalyptus.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

How about those of us who don't have an EU or UK spouse? Australia is much easier to get a permanent visa to than the UK.

We ended up here because we couldn't qualify for a permanent visa for the UK.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

That is also what I think- Oz seems to be on the way to be 'colonized' by asians (especially south asians). British people seem to be on the losing end of this migration. They have to compete on the same pay as them but have to pay double or triple for an airfare back home (not mentioning other relocation costs). Unless the job prospects down under is extremely fantastic, there is no good reason to go down under.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the job prospects down under is extremely fantastic, there is no good reason to go down under.
Fine. Don't go then. That way it won't matter that you have to pass a points test to get in.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

That is also what I think- Oz seems to be on the way to be 'colonized' by asians (especially south asians). British people seem to be on the losing end of this migration. They have to compete on the same pay as them but have to pay double or triple for an airfare back home (not mentioning other relocation costs). Unless the job prospects down under is extremely fantastic, there is no good reason to go down under.
Don't know what you mean by losing end. But I know nobody forced me to migrate and sensible people factor in relocation and visit back costs when tey make the decision.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone willing to take a punt on which BE regular abc1 is? Perhaps the mods could do an IP match.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.