Country including Towns
48.57%
City, Capitals
51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you think Teenagers are more likely to go astray....Country or City

Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do you think Teenagers are more likely to go astray....Country or City

Just thought I'd like to hear people views on this and why they hold them.

Personally I've always thought the Countryside and rural areas and Provincial towns are great for kids and very bad for Teenagers. Reason against the Country towns...Being a far smaller diversity in populace, people knowing everyone so its fairly easy to take a bad path. Boredom... = Same oh Same oh.

I realise that a lot of people are going to say it's up to the Parents. However I think it's fairly evident to most people that at no time in anyones life, is the Peer group more important than in the turbulent Teenage years.

So a Poll to decide and reasons for your vote could be interesting for all.

I'm obviously going to vote against the Country and for the City. The reason I prefer the City environment for my kids.... Far greater diversity... IE: my 3rd Daughter not considered a Geek just because she loves her classical music and plays Classical instruments... or My Boy can act and dress like a Skater boi... play his PS3 to the cows come home, and yet be accepted by the Sporty types as he is fairly good at Sports. I think there is greater acceptance across peer groups in the City, and much more difficult to find yourself on the social fringes.

I could be wrong though.... so lets hear your views.

I'm only going to offer two options on purpose. I personally dont buy the Parental involvement argument, as there are plenty of kids that go off the rails with good Parents and equally plenty of kids with bad Parents that dont. So for the purposes of this thread... it really comes down to a geographical view point.

Meant to be in Barbie apologies
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:30 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you think Teenagers are more likely to go astray....Country or City

Where we are I would say that we are on the edge of country/rural and personally think its a better atmosphere to grow up in than the city.

Here we still have a skate park, they can swim in friends dams on the farms in the summer, they go dirtbike riding, they can jump on the bus and 15 minutes later are at the cinema, many of the kids work on the local farms at weekends (either as a parttime job, or for the parents) and I feel that they become much more independant much quicker.

My boy has been working on farms since he was 12 and loves it. It pays better than macca's as well

Friends of ours in NSW have over 600 acres, and their children are much the same. Its 30/45 minutes into town, but they happlily jump on the bus.

They both help the parents on the farm. They both learnt to drive at the age of about 12 (just getting around the property) they have a river going through the property so they fish & swim any time they want to.

They still do a lot of the things city kids do such as Xbox/PStation/Facebook and all that stuff, they just are more laid back. Stay kids longer IMO but are more independant at the same time.

All kids get "bored" Most of the time, they are too lazy to get off their ass and do something. When I kick my boys off the Xbox and send them outside, they moan & complain, and then 4 hours later I have to ring them up to find out where they are.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you think Teenagers are more likely to go astray....Country or City

I think it depends on the parents and thereby the kids.

I've known well balanced great teenagers in both city and country, I've known tearaway teenagers "known to police" in both city and country.

BB
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Having spent my teenage years in inner city Sydney and with country relatives (lliving in country towns in NSW, Qld and WA) I'd say country teens are more likely to 'go astray'.

I won't go into detail but let's just say that there's not much to do in the country so kids find ways of alleviating their boredom.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Meant to be in Barbie apologies
I'll nudge it in that direction
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough call & an interesting topic. My experience of raising kids is limited to one of each, girl 24 boy 19. Both vastly different in character & temperament. Our daughter [step daughter for me as I met her mom when A was just 6 months old] was a model child until she hit puberty then became a bit of a rebel. Nothing to bad just silly discipline stuff up until she turned 15 when she was the victim of a serious sexual assault by a 30 yr old bloke. She went off the rails big time for a couple of years drinking & smoking partying hard etc. When we came out here to live it was only a couple of months after the court case & she was still a bit wild. She has settled down now has two wonderful little girls & is a fantastic mum that works full time & still looks after the girls & her "waste of space" partner. She was a town girl raised in a large U.K town.
Our son was different, always helpful & well mannered. He would share without hesitation anything he had with anyone. Always cheerful & well behaved. He went off to sail Australasia when he was 9 with my folks so had the benefit of 2:1 tutoring for close to 2 years. Academically very bright but equally lazy in his efforts to study, more due to boredom than anything.
he was 12 when we moved here, we moved to Tin Can Bay, rural remote for sure He grew up living out here in the sticks on acreage. No real problems socially etc. He's just completing his training in the RAN as an ET & has turned into a decent lad.
I'm equally very proud of both of them, they've both turned out O.K, one a townie the other a hick
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the opportunities, family and luck.

Here semi-rural village kids have chances - most are privately educated from secondary, and the primary has a very good reputation. Most kids grow up with the mix of country life with the added bonuses of some of the diversions on offer but they are not completely isolated. A new mum from the suburbs has arrived and says she finds the children here a lot happier, mature and better balanced than down the hill in the suburbs : I'd be more worried about the effects of boredom in the suburbs. (Neither city nor country). We have met children who know not much beyond the family room of their house and see the outdoors as 'dirt'. Their only cultural input is the rack of DVDs and TV. Most homes around here have pianos and we felt naturally our daughters should learn too. Horses and all that muck is also popular.

I know kids who grew up on farms who got sent to school in cities - in some cases - the best in Sydney's GPS - so grew up with the best of both worlds. They partied hard, played hard and worked as hard as they needed to..like most people, and also got up to all sorts of mischief..

Semi-rural - the only real drawback is lack of public transport so a car is a must as soon as possible - but then kids do have other kids nearby. It depends on whether you are in a village, or strung out on a rural road with barely a neighbour. Here a child can walk to a neighbour and they also walk 3k to school down the lane on their own quite happily.

We will also ensure lots of city breaks and trips - it's possible to get there and does not have to be a once in a few months event.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I blame genitals

JTL
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:05 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

I blame the parents lol What do u say badger lmao
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I know kids who grew up on farms who got sent to school in cities - in some cases - the best in Sydney's GPS - so grew up with the best of both worlds. They partied hard, played hard and worked as hard as they needed to..like most people, and also got up to all sorts of mischief..

I hardly think you can draw conclusions about country vs city life for teens if all the kids you know are 'educated privately' and many go to GPS schools in Sydney. Obviously, if your family has enough dosh to send you to GPS schools, pay for horsey pursuits and riding lessons, buy a piano etc. you're hardly the average Aussie country (or city for that matter) family!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:02 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Tough call & an interesting topic. My experience of raising kids is limited to one of each, girl 24 boy 19. Both vastly different in character & temperament. Our daughter [step daughter for me as I met her mom when A was just 6 months old] was a model child until she hit puberty then became a bit of a rebel. Nothing to bad just silly discipline stuff up until she turned 15 when she was the victim of a serious sexual assault by a 30 yr old bloke. She went off the rails big time for a couple of years drinking & smoking partying hard etc. When we came out here to live it was only a couple of months after the court case & she was still a bit wild. She has settled down now has two wonderful little girls & is a fantastic mum that works full time & still looks after the girls & her "waste of space" partner. She was a town girl raised in a large U.K town.
Our son was different, always helpful & well mannered. He would share without hesitation anything he had with anyone. Always cheerful & well behaved. He went off to sail Australasia when he was 9 with my folks so had the benefit of 2:1 tutoring for close to 2 years. Academically very bright but equally lazy in his efforts to study, more due to boredom than anything.
he was 12 when we moved here, we moved to Tin Can Bay, rural remote for sure He grew up living out here in the sticks on acreage. No real problems socially etc. He's just completing his training in the RAN as an ET & has turned into a decent lad.
I'm equally very proud of both of them, they've both turned out O.K, one a townie the other a hick
Your lad sounds like me 20+years ago Moved from London to the sticks in Ireland and then left as soon as to join the RN Stand by for years of shagging anything with a pulse and drinking anything alcoholic in vast quantities and he's chosen God's branch Weapon Engineering (RAN equivalent anyway) Good Lad
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:12 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Your lad sounds like me 20+years ago Moved from London to the sticks in Ireland and then left as soon as to join the RN Stand by for years of shagging anything with a pulse and drinking anything alcoholic in vast quantities and he's chosen God's branch Weapon Engineering (RAN equivalent anyway) Good Lad
You forgot the bit about tattoo's He's just had his back done, all of it I think he expected to shock us
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:15 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
You forgot the bit about tattoo's He's just had his back done, all of it I think he expected to shock us

I don't do tats, my body is a temple

as long as he doesn't get a girlfriends name all down his side as one of my ET's did, she binned him 2 days later for a bootneck
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:03 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tough one personally I think most teens will go off the rails at some point.I'm a city girl and I had cousins that grew up in the country. The only difference between us is I used to find them a bit naive when I was younger but they ended up doing everything I did just a bit later.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
I hardly think you can draw conclusions about country vs city life for teens if all the kids you know are 'educated privately' and many go to GPS schools in Sydney. Obviously, if your family has enough dosh to send you to GPS schools, pay for horsey pursuits and riding lessons, buy a piano etc. you're hardly the average Aussie country (or city for that matter) family!
Your experience may be very different to mine - but that is the average for around here too - and by around here, I'm thinking at least 200 kms in either direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.