Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What part of the UK are you from.

View Poll Results: What part of the UK are you from
South West
11.62%
Wales
4.15%
North West (Includes Manchester Lpool Carlisle)
15.35%
Scotland
12.45%
North East (all of Geordie land, down through to York)
5.81%
Ireland.... (Can we include both without upsetting anyone yet?)
3.73%
Midlands (including East Anglia saves me 9 options )
18.26%
South East, London, Home counties, Essex Kent etc
28.63%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

What part of the UK are you from.

Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What part of the UK are you from.

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Bournemouth, Dorset.

South Coast UK in the middle not south west or south east.

Johnnyyt
West of Gloucester or East..... I draw the line at Fred West Territory

Wonder why I've not met many people from the South East ? The polls on here reflect the Density of the country, but not my personal experience, or of people that I talk to in the UK. I now wonder if I were to go on to a similar board to the one I use based in the UK, I would get people as happy with their lot as the Londoners/SEast seem to be. A fair few on the CPFC BBS have tried Aussie and gone back and knock the place rotten. I put it down to Australia not being able to meet their affluent expectations, or indeed the median average wage in London and surrounds of circa 40,000 quid. Which equated in my mind of Australia being less of an attraction to people from this region than others ?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul30
Leeds (west Yorkshire). No yorkshire in the poll whats with that.

Apologies I only went with 8 poll choices on purpose. So your lumped in with the Mancs and Scousers I'm afraid Do you think that most people where you come from are happy with their lot. Leeds gets quite a good rap from most these days, as being a decent place to live, by people in the UK that like the UK I mean ?

Its the people from East Anglia that have the most to complain about in my opinion
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:22 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Apologies I only went with 8 poll choices on purpose. So your lumped in with the Mancs and Scousers I'm afraid Do you think that most people where you come from are happy with their lot. Leeds gets quite a good rap from most these days, as being a decent place to live, by people in the UK that like the UK I mean ?

Its the people from East Anglia that have the most to complain about in my opinion

You can't 'lump' us white roses in with the reds ffs
Wakefield West Yorkshire for us.

Loz x
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

West of Gloucester or East..... I draw the line at Fred West Territory

Wonder why I've not met many people from the South East ? The polls on here reflect the Density of the country, but not my personal experience, or of people that I talk to in the UK. I now wonder if I were to go on to a similar board to the one I use based in the UK, I would get people as happy with their lot as the Londoners/SEast seem to be. A fair few on the CPFC BBS have tried Aussie and gone back and knock the place rotten. I put it down to Australia not being able to meet their affluent expectations, or indeed the median average wage in London and surrounds of circa 40,000 quid. Which equated in my mind of Australia being less of an attraction to people from this region than others ?

we moved from Kent... affluent? not us... OH was on a crap wage compared to what he'd have been on if we'd moved to the midlands but I didnt want to live near Birmingham... there is a lot of talk about how the south east is a rich area etc etc etc but I think it's as much a myth as all Aussies enjoy bbqing a shrimp on the beach whilst supping Fosters and wearing a cork hat!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:29 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Aye it's not a bad place (at least it was when it was on the right side o' the pennines) but like everywhere it's got it's probs
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Glaaawster as it's shouted from the 'shed' at Gloucester's Kingsholm rugby ground!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by loz
You can't 'lump' us white roses in with the reds ffs
Wakefield West Yorkshire for us.

Loz x
Whoops !
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted Wales as that's where I was born. However I spent all my UK working life in London. So for the purpose of your poll I probably should have said South East.

Just FYI most of the poms I meet are from the SE.

I meet quite a lot of Scots too.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:48 pm
Beach Bum

paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Whoops !
aye big whoops now you'll have to write out a hundred times. I must not insult those lovely yorkshire folk
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bridie
we moved from Kent... affluent? not us... OH was on a crap wage compared to what he'd have been on if we'd moved to the midlands but I didnt want to live near Birmingham... there is a lot of talk about how the south east is a rich area etc etc etc but I think it's as much a myth as all Aussies enjoy bbqing a shrimp on the beach whilst supping Fosters and wearing a cork hat!

It's been a long while since I moved, but when I lived there, Kent used to have a lot of transport depots, around Gravesend and Dartford etc. I think a lot of that Infrastructure moved to Mkeynes, which seems to have prospered quite well. My Brother in fact works for one of those Mkeynes transport Companies, driving his 40' truck into London every night for citylink or similar for circa 32,000 quid per annum, his wife works in a good job as well.

A lot of people from Kent commute to London, which must make it hard for people that work locally in relation to house prices.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:51 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Streaks
although I voted SW, we are actually from a town 10miles south of Bristol on the West coast.
S xx
same here..moved from Weston-super-mare, grew up in Burnham-on- Sea, Zummerset. Clearly I like a hyphenated place name....now living in Ad-e-laide.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people from Kent commute to London, which must make it hard for people that work locally in relation to house prices.
Yes, that was part of the problem. We lived right down on the south coast (Hythe) about 16 miles from Ashford where they had the International Station to France and Belgium and were putting in the high speed rail link from London - so a heck of a lot of awful shoebox houses going up everywhere and prices getting silly for those on local rather than London money.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:56 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Wales....

Most British accents I hear are Southerners.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:08 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul30
Leeds (west Yorkshire). No yorkshire in the poll whats with that.
Where's Yorkshire?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:13 am
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Where's Yorkshire?
aparently it's just moved over to lancashire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.