Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What after purchasing a house, NSW ??

What after purchasing a house, NSW ??

Old Mar 25th 2017, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light
Smile What after purchasing a house, NSW ??

Hi BE Members,

I have a question, hope you can provide some information.

I recently bought a house(not brand new) in Sydney and would like to know what happen after purchase. My solicitor is very bad, hence he didn't provide me any information.

To provide some information, the settlement was about 1 month back and we already moved to the house. It is a strata title villa.

- Only thing I received from my solicitor is, some tax invoices etc. at the settlement and 1st page of my agreement. Will I get a full copy of agreement once transfer complete to my name ? How long will it take ?

- Is there anything else I'm supposed to get from solicitor other than tax invoices at the settlement ?

Really appreciate if you could provide some guidance.

Thanks.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What after purchasing a house, NSW ??

Hi Muditha. Congratulations on the purchase. I'm not in NSW, but Victoria, but the process is largely the same. You should have a full copy of your contract signed by the vendor and purchaser. If you have not got this you need to follow up with your solicitor. I assume you purchased by private treaty rather than auction, otherwise you would have received the contract on auction day.

One of the "tax invoices" you have should be a settlement statement which sets out the pro rata rates, strata fees, etc that are paid up. The other is probably the solicitor's bill for their work.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Kiwikaye. I will check with my solicitor. My solicitor is very rude and not reply or answer calls. Is providing a copy of full contract to me, responsibility of solicitor or is there another way for this ?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muditha
Thanks Kiwikaye. I will check with my solicitor. My solicitor is very rude and not reply or answer calls. Is providing a copy of full contract to me, responsibility of solicitor or is there another way for this ?

Thanks again.
It's the solicitor's responsibility to ensure the proper contracts are exchanged, and the full copy is given to you. The solicitor may first give you only the first few important pages of the contract initially, but ALL of my purchases have been followed up with the full contracts signed, sealed and delivered (usually by courier service, no less).

Just make a mental note never to use this company for your next purchase - but a word of warning: although my lawyers have never been rude and cannot be faulted for being shoddy or inattentive to my calls/questions/requests for clarifications, none of them have struck me as being the brightest bulb in the box. Brain stem responses are the norm, anything more cerebral would be both an upgrade and your lucky day.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.
It is generally the solicitor's/conveyancer's responsibility. You could check with the real estate agent as they may provide you with a copy, but they also may refer you back to your solicitor.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.
Have you paid your solicitor yet?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: What after purchasing a house, NSW ??

I tried to contact my solicitor via phone or email, but he seems not responding to me about the full copy of the agreement.

Will there be any way I can get a full copy of the agreement, other than the solicitor ?

Thanks.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to contact my solicitor via phone or email, but he seems not responding to me about the full copy of the agreement.

Will there be any way I can get a full copy of the agreement, other than the solicitor ?

Thanks.
Lodge a complaint with the department of fair trading. You will soon get your contract.