Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Old Nov 25th 2004, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Just thought of another one......

What did your Mum use on you as a kid before baby wipes were invented??!! Anyone?

How about this.......

When I was a little kid and we were out for the day and after munching my way through choc/ice-cream/anything my mum would take out a nice clean, ironed hankerchief from her handbag and dare I say its sooo disgusting and SPIT on it!!! YUUUUCCCKKKK!! and proceed to use it on me!!!!!! OMG that is so bad I hope Im not the only one whos Mum did that!!

Thank you to who ever invented babywipes, kids dont know they are born today, tut!!

Cheeky
AAHH - SPIT WASH!! Still do it to my kids and think 'god I used to hate this' LOL.

What about Tank tops with 3 big stars on the front, platform shoes for the guys! and those trousers with the big waist band with pockets on the side - the bigger the waist band the cooler they were.

Great thread guys - keep it going, laughing my socks off at some of it.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

i collected beer mats for some bizzare reason, had them pinned all over my bedroom wall. :scared:

tracey
Old Nov 25th 2004, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

omg, i had my first afro perm when i was 13, my mum gave my a toni super perm, anyone remember them,lol,i thought it was fantastic at the time,lol, but it looked like a frizz ball really,ooohhh what we did for fashion :scared:

tracey.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maggy
One more for the ladies lol

Who remembers playing Charlies Angels hahaha.

I always wanted to be Kelly Garret as she was the pretty one.

What about drooling over luke in the Dukes of Hazzard and wishing you looked like Daisy.

Oh I could go on and on

OMG!!! We used to play 'Chopper Squad' and 'Flipper' in my best friends pool! And she always had to be Marine Boy while I ended up getting lost at sea and eaten by a shark!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

I have three outstanding memories...

1) All the kids on the street would get together and do 'plays' and skits. We'd hang a curtain (Bedsheet) from a neighbours garage roof. Put out chairs and make all the parents on the street come and watch us perform! I remember doing Froggy went a-courtin' and I was Froggy. Kim Dark from next door was Miss Mousie and I borrowed her green overalls which nearly cut me in half...

2) My friend Lisa and another girl running away from home (8 years old) because she wasn't allowed a kitten. Found them a day later huddled under the bridge!

3) Making dens in the spare block across the road. It's full of houses now! We had a cool den and all our stuff was in there. It never got stolen. Kim Tomlinson from down the road pinched a packet of matches from Lisa's house (all the parents smoked!) and was lighting them to see how far down she could let them burn. One in particular got quite close to her fingers so she panicked and handed it to my Brother Stephen. He dropped it and the whole block went up like tinder! Fire engines...My best friend Lisa crying because her 'puppy' (stuffed toy) was in the den. I ran through the flames yelling 'Don't worry I'll save him'. I was about 6. I saved her puppy and emerged from the flames and smoke triumphant with this dog! And my dad gave me the biggest walloping of my entire life. Each word punctuated by another smack on the bum.

Don't..(smack).. you..(Smack)...ever..(smack)..do...(smack)...that. .(smack)...again..(smack) and so on....

Ah those were the days.
A good smack never did me any harm!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:29 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ushas
Ah those were the days.
A good smack never did me any harm!!!!
That's the trouble nowadays, good smack will probably kill you!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:52 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I love this thread - of course nostalgia is not what it was.

In no particular order:

Hector's House
Blue Peter (Pete, John and Val)
The first John Craven's newsround.
Romper Room (just Anglia TV I think)
The Clangers
The Herbs
Jackanory
Creeping downstairs to watch Colditz through the crack in the living room door (it was on too late for me) - and the same for the first few series of Monty Python
Playing Freddie Flea and British Bulldog
Playing wars around the local farms - through the hedges and along the ditches.
Building dens in the middle of the stack of straw bales
Using candles in them so we had light
Building bolt bobs and pipe bombs and petrol bombs
Blowing things up with sugar and weedkiller
Getting beer from the off licence ("for my friend's mum") and then hiding in his barn to drink it.
The 1976 drought
The Queen's silver jubilee (when the whole country seemed to quite like the royal family)
Milk at primary school in those 1/3 pint bottles that were always left out in the sun
Getting my mouth washed out with soap at age 6 for saying bloody in school (interestingly I never again swore in the hearing of a teacher)

I am sure there were many more, but I am getting too old to recall......

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Snickers used to be Marathon, Cif used to be Jif, Oil of Olay used to be Oil of Ulay (why???)
Its a knockout with Stuart Hall giving himself a hernia laughing so much
Rolf Harris telling you to learn to swim (and how his dad threw him in and told him to swim or drown)
Rushing home from work to watch the muppets (ok that was only about 6 years ago)

And there was a guy who was bald on top but had log hair around the sides doing a public service announcement telling drivers to slow down unless they wanted to ride in one of these (it was a hearse). I was going to get a hearse when I was older so I could drive one fast!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Mark Dowd will become famous soon enough

Various businesses are tuning into the desires of the babyboom children of the 70's. You can now buy various sweets you may remember from http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/index.php It may be called "a quarter of" but now it's a quarter of a kilogram instead of a quarter of a pound due to European legislation! Also you can now get your hands on chopper bicycle once again, read all about it here http://www.btinternet.com/~g_coventr...4/2004news.htm
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

How about clackers which they eventually banned due to kids breaking their wrists!

And Cat Weazel on TV.

When my 8yr old son says to me 'how do you know this song?', I always feel like my mum when she used to say 'I remember this song first time round!'
and I always feel a bit uncomfortable when my son says 'Mum, what was it like in the olden days'?' I'm only 39 thanks son!

Yes, the good old days.

Thanks for starting this thread, I've enjoyed reading it, still haven't managed to read through it all yet tho', so sorry if I have duplicated.

Cheers

Poppy
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:32 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
Cif used to be Jif, Oil of Olay used to be Oil of Ulay (why???)!
Trademark restrictions in the UK. They've been known by the 'newer' names abroad for years.

Originally Posted by worzel
Rolf Harris telling you to learn to swim (and how his dad threw him in and told him to swim or drown)
I think Rolf grew up on the Swan River. Went on a wine cruise earlier this year and the guides kept referring to him. I'll check again when I try the cruise again a few weeks.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:35 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I love this thread - of course nostalgia is not what it was.

In no particular order:

Hector's House
Blue Peter (Pete, John and Val)
The first John Craven's newsround.
Romper Room (just Anglia TV I think)
The Clangers
The Herbs
Jackanory
Creeping downstairs to watch Colditz through the crack in the living room door (it was on too late for me) - and the same for the first few series of Monty Python
Playing Freddie Flea and British Bulldog
Playing wars around the local farms - through the hedges and along the ditches.
Building dens in the middle of the stack of straw bales
Using candles in them so we had light
Building bolt bobs and pipe bombs and petrol bombs
Blowing things up with sugar and weedkiller
Getting beer from the off licence ("for my friend's mum") and then hiding in his barn to drink it.
The 1976 drought
The Queen's silver jubilee (when the whole country seemed to quite like the royal family)
Milk at primary school in those 1/3 pint bottles that were always left out in the sun
Getting my mouth washed out with soap at age 6 for saying bloody in school (interestingly I never again swore in the hearing of a teacher)

I am sure there were many more, but I am getting too old to recall......

Cheers,

DagBoy
Captain Pugwash
Dangermouse
Inspector Gadget
Ivor the Engine
Mr Benn
Rainbow
Scooby Doo
Sooty
Animal Magic
Top Cat

The older boys would build a den and a bonfire and they would get all us younger ones to nick the tins of beans or rice pudding that would get thrown on - next thing you knew you'd have red on bits raining down on you - as a mother now I would have palpatations if my kids got up to these things - and yet we all survived

Sel x
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:36 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheeky
We didnt have central heating or double glazing either!! The windows used to have ice on em in the morning....on the inside!!! We used to have layers and layers of blankets, no such thing as 'duvets' LOL.

The fire my mum had in the kitchen required parafin, we used to buy it from the hardware shop up the road Cheeky
O-M-G!!! Me too. We used to joke that we wore more clothes to bed than we did to go to school! And our windows used to ice up on the inside as well. You could see your breath in my bedroom. We didn't have central heating either but as you, we had a parafin heater in the kitchen. We had a coal fire in the living room that we used to put bread on a long fork and toast, or put potatoes in the hearth. In the winter mum used to put dad's slippers by the fire to warm when he was on his 2-10 shift.

I remember racing home to watch Shang-a-lang (Baycity rollers) and Marc Bolan (re Baycity rollers; I also sewed tartan down the side of my jeans). I remember Bar-6 (a scrummy choccie bar), space hoppers, clackers, ponchos, bell bottomed trousers, skirts that were either mini, midi or maxi in length; tomato sauce crisps, sherbert dips (didn't like liquorice so I used to make a fizzy drink by putting water with the sherbert), calypsos (triangular shaped carton drink that we used to put in the freezer so it ended up a lolly); The Partridge Family, Watch with Mother (loved Busy Lizzy), Romper Room with Miss Rosalyn, Magpie, MultiColoured Swap Shop, Chopper bikes, Fab lollies which came with cards of famous bands of the time that you could collect and put on a poster, Liverpool in their prime (Steve Highway, John Toshak, Emlyn Hughes, Kevin Keegan......), Lambchop, Jackie magazine, Tiny Tears dolls, oh for goodness sake stop me... I could go on for hours!!!!

D D
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:41 pm
Confused member

Anyone remember Fab 208 or Princess Tina?

Conductors on the buses with those ancient ticket machines.

Hotpants, ponchoes (should have kept mine) and wedges.

Thinking that 21 was really old.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:49 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SunshineGirl]Hotpants, ponchoes (should have kept mine) and wedges.QUOTE]

Hotpants should definitely come back into fashion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.