Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Having to buy the Radio Times AND the TV Times as they wouldn't list each other's programmes.

All the shops being shut on Sunday.

Not having wrinkles.

Thinking £5 was an absolute fortune.

Wondering what the point of boys was (still don't know).

Half a crown pocket money.

Ooops. Big giveaway.

Trying to cope with decimalisation.

Feeling safe in the world.
- Pound notes.
- My Dad not being amused at petrol heading towards a quid per gallon (now I'm feeling the same about a quid per litre)
- Buying scraps from the chip shop
- 5p and 10p mix-ups
- Tony Blackburn, Ed Stewpot
- Crackerjack

- 65p for an ounce of baccy
- 85p for a pint of Whitbread Best (65p for Symonds)
- Ronson being introduced - 95p for a pack of 20

- The height of computer game technology being "pong" tennis
- The height of ready-meal technology being the Vesta Curry

I'd better stop now before this gets much longer
Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Yes she used to play the role of Rose Millar and its the same character as what she plays in bad girls.

Yes we used to have a Rag & Bone man

Sel x
Stephanie Beacham.

Oh Pete Duel - god I loved him. Was devastated when he "had an accident whilst cleaning his gun" No one ever mentioned that he might have done it on purpose!

French man cycling around on his bike with strings of onions round his neck. oh and the guy who used to cycle round and stop and sharpen knives and scissors - sorry Tracey
Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:22 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
One more for the ladies lol

Who remembers playing Charlies Angels hahaha.

I always wanted to be Kelly Garret as she was the pretty one.

What about drooling over luke in the Dukes of Hazzard and wishing you looked like Daisy.

Oh I could go on and on
I had a chocolate brown jump suit with a Charles Angels patch on the pocket, I loved it wore it to all the school disco's!!!
Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:24 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
my mum slapping my backside with her slipper cos I gave the rag and bone man my clothes for a balloon and a lolly pop lol.

What about the fruit and veg man that came cround the streets with his shire horse or was that only in Scotland.
My Grandad was a fruit and veg man in Coventry, but he had a van.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:29 pm
maggy

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi Maggy,

We had a rag and bone man.....came Sat morns down our road. He used to shout it was really difficult to make out what he said but I think it was 'any ooolllllllllldd BONE!!!!'

I remember z cars too! And I loved charlies angels, starsky and hutch, Bionicle man ( and Bionicle woman, she had super hearing didnt she?! ) Darlics, eeekk, I was really :scared: of them!! Dr Who, ok who remebers John Pertwee, hope I got that right!! Sorry if I didnt!!

Cheeky

lol bionicle man. It was Bionic man Lee Majors lol. It was fab.

The rag and bone man would sing any oldddddddddddddddddddd rag and bone hahahahahahaha. A bit like when the fish man came around and sang kippersssssssssssssssss herringggggggggggggggggggg lol.

ohhhhhhhhh the days

Remember the Butcher van and chippy van lol.

Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:34 pm
maggy

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
I had a chocolate brown jump suit with a Charles Angels patch on the pocket, I loved it wore it to all the school disco's!!!

I had a blue jump suit and a purdy hair cut lol do you remember it was after Joanna Lumley.

Thank God I will never have a saffy hair cut.

Do you remember Saphire and Steel and Tales of the unexpected they were terrifying.

Now kids watch bloody Freedy Krugar and piss themselves laughing.

Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:40 pm
maggy

Now this is sad

Rushing home from work to watch Gordon the Goffer on Kids TV coz he was even better looking than Philip Schofield and thats when Philip had black hair.

Having pictures of Limahl on my walls and drooling over him lol.

Ok I was never a Duran Fan

Old Nov 24th 2004, 4:50 pm
I'm watching YOU...

Grange Hill with Tucker and Mrs Macluskie
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

i remember the little bottles of milk we used to get a t schoo play times,and rushing home from school to watch play school.

tracey.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

me and my mates used to buy new pairs of jeans and then get the sewing machine out and taking them in so that they were really tight all the way down the leg, so much so that i could hardly move, but i thought it was cool ast the time

tracey.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:31 pm
I'm watching YOU...

Originally Posted by scissors
me and my mates used to buy new pairs of jeans and then get the sewing machine out and taking them in so that they were really tight all the way down the leg, so much so that i could hardly move, but i thought it was cool ast the time

tracey.
and i thought it as just me! I would wear mine with red suede pixie boots! :scared:
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scissors
i remember the little bottles of milk we used to get a t schoo play times,and rushing home from school to watch play school.

tracey.
I was a milk monitor, and for giving out the bottles of milk I got an extra one!
Then 'Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher came along (but I was just about to begin my A levels then )

Does anybody remember Spangles ? - really dull coloured sweets that were lovely, but got banned because there was a high incidence of kids chokng on them.

Cas
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:36 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I was a milk monitor, and for giving out the bottles of milk I got an extra one!
Then 'Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher came along (but I was just about to begin my A levels then )

Does anybody remember Spangles ? - really dull coloured sweets that were lovely, but got banned because there was a high incidence of kids chokng on them.

Cas
Yes I remember spangles - my friends cat was called after them

Sel x
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:48 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Great post.

Made me smile but also made me a little sad. How simple were things when they were like you said?

I remember so much of what you typed. Playing games in the street, fist fights, knock and run, also when you dare not give any lip to an adult for fear you would get a thick ear and your parents would say serves you right!.... and all the other things you point out.

But dont you think that it was so much more simple then? Jeeze I sound like an old fart now....

Thanks for sharing a past that applies to so many of us.

Gary

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pots & pans.
When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags, riding in the passenger seat was a treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.
We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.
We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.
We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms.
We had friends we went outside and found them.
We played Kerby and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cuts and broke bones but there were no law suits.
We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents
We played knock-and-run and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.
We walked to friend's homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mum or dad to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.
We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

Now let's check if we're getting old...
1.. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2.. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3.. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4.. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.
5.. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6.. You remember watching Dirty Den in East Enders the first time around.
7.. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, repeating again all the fun you had experienced together Hmmmmm.......
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:52 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Cheeky, but I have to add............

How old does that make you......

Gary

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi guys,

My 8yr old son wanted to know if my Nan had any Roman coins (for a school project) bless him!! How old does he think she is!! It was ok my Nan saw the funny side!!!

Lurve remenicing!!!!
Cheers,
Cheeky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.