Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:15 pm
Cheeky

Default Re: Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Hi guys,

I remember when crisps were only 10p!!!! And the penny tray. Choc mice, black jacks, fruit salads were 1p!!!

I used to love curly wurlys!! Anyone remember Dundee biscuits?? (huge choc covered biscuits) .

Friday was payday and my mum and dad always treat us to chipshop tea!!!

Playing scatter with my mates! Anyone remember 'Fame' on telly on a thurs night?! (straight after TOTPs!!!) OMG I could go on forever!! lol

Bit off topic here (sorry but this popped in my head, as things do!! )
Funny thing about kids today......

My 8yr old son wanted to know if my Nan had any Roman coins (for a school project) bless him!! How old does he think she is!! It was ok my Nan saw the funny side!!!

Lurve remenicing!!!!
Cheers,
Cheeky

Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
:
- I still have the scar from this !!

Also I could add to the list " A more relaxed attitude to fireworks safety on bonfire night" !
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:20 pm
maggy

Originally Posted by scissors
We used to watch banana splits and tiswas on a saturday morning,boy havent times changed.

tracey.
We played hop scotch and chuckies with stones.

Woke up really early on a sat to watch champion the wonder horse and zorro.

Oh my GOD im getting old lol

Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

we used to play cats cradle with a peice of string and i can remember when a bag of chips cost 6 p,
oooooh they were the days :scared:

tracey.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

What a great thread! brought all the memories flooding back. What about Curlywurlys? they used to be HUGE too, and getting 20p pocket money every Friday rushing up the chip shop for a packet of chips and bits, a HUGE bottle of Ben Shaws pop and still have change for half a dozen black jacks.

Can relate to the go-kart bit too - bloody hurts when the wheel falls off Also raiding for apples and bombing off on our bikes as the owner came running out. Quite right about the being out all day, as long as I was in when the street lights came on I was OK - if not it was a thick ear.

Happy days.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:32 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Pocket money was 20p and that would buy me a quarter of pear drops and either a Mars bar or a packet of crisps. (Mars bars and crisps tasted better BEFORE they put them in foil to keep the flavour).
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:36 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Door steps on jam !!(my gran used to keep the outsiders from the bread & make us pieces on jam)

Now if you were to give my kids a piece on jam they would be absolutely mortified
Lol!!

Donna.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:42 pm
maggy

Originally Posted by madsad
Door steps on jam !!(my gran used to keep the outsiders from the bread & make us pieces on jam)

Now if you were to give my kids a piece on jam they would be absolutely mortified
Lol!!

Donna.

OMG a piece on sauce or sugar now that was a treat lol.

Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:52 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
We played hop scotch and chuckies with stones.

Woke up really early on a sat to watch champion the wonder horse and zorro.

Oh my GOD im getting old lol
I used to LURVE that on a sat morning - I'm huming the theme tune now.

Also do you all remember the roller disco & ra ra / puff ball skirts, used to think we were all really cool I look back at photos and cringe, did we really wear those things happy days

Had to add this in quick, you can listen to the song

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/chi...s/champion.htm

Sel x

Last edited by sel; Nov 24th 2004 at 2:55 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:54 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

When I used to stay with my Nan she would ask me how I liked my cauliflower whole or mashed :scared: It didn't actually matter as it was boiled until it became liquid
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:57 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
When I used to stay with my Nan she would ask me how I liked my cauliflower whole or mashed :scared: It didn't actually matter as it was boiled until it became liquid

Lovely spread cold on toast !!

Donna.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:07 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Having to buy the Radio Times AND the TV Times as they wouldn't list each other's programmes.

All the shops being shut on Sunday.

Not having wrinkles.

Thinking £5 was an absolute fortune.

Wondering what the point of boys was (still don't know).

Half a crown pocket money.

Ooops. Big giveaway.

Trying to cope with decimalisation.

Feeling safe in the world.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Nigel & Marie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scissors
We used to watch banana splits and tiswas on a saturday morning,boy havent times changed.

tracey.
How many of us now listen to radio 2 like our parents did in the 70's and think its the best, much better than the rubbish they play on radio 1?

I hope thats not only us!
Nigel & Marie
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigel & Marie
How many of us now listen to radio 2 like our parents did in the 70's and think its the best, much better than the rubbish they play on radio 1?

Nigel & Marie
I was a parent in the 70's and never listened to radio 1 or 2. Don't now either.

G
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:15 pm
Cheeky

LOL!! (only sometimes though, cd in car!! )

I remember Oooh Gary Davis, oooh Gary Davies......

And what about Simon Bates 'Our Tune' ??? Lurved it!!!
Radio one eh??!!!

Thanks for the memory, great!!
Cheeky

Originally Posted by Nigel & Marie

Nigel & Marie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.