Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Waah, I don't wanna go

Waah, I don't wanna go

Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waah, I don't wanna go

I love home made mushroom soup.
As a child I used to go into the cow field behind our house early in the morning and pick huge field mushrooms which were delicious fried with some streaky bacon and a tomato for breakfast. T'was a sad day when they built on the field.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

This thread seems to have veered into some weird funghi discussion.

FWIW OP if you are still around, if you do come I hope it works out but maybe you should at least give your daughter time to find her feet first, see if she likes it, and then make the decision whether or not to follow?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Like the OP, I do not get on that well with Oz and would rather stay in the UK. The thing for me is that I don't get on well internally with Oz, as in my own head and thoughts. All the usual reasons that get listed are an issue for me.

However, externally I have come to realise that I got on very well Oz. I always had good jobs, good career progress, and most importantly some really really good friends, but those friends are almost exclusively cycle racers or triathletes so my social scene is very much a bubble.

We enjoy living in the UK, but I know Mrs TB would eventually like to return to Oz and I have (voluntary) redundancy looming next week, I will be surprised if we are not back in Oz by mid year.

Would I go of my own accord? Not on your life.

Would I go because Mrs TB wants to? Of course, she's my wife.

Would I go because my grown up kids wanted to? Absolutely no way, they are adults, I am an adult, they can make their own decisions and don't need me to follow them around the world to wipe their arse. They would know that we are always there for them, but we all have our own lives to lead.

So yes, sometimes folks are put in a position of not being in a place where they are the most happy. However, IMO that is a sacrifice reserved for our spouses.

So maybe, like me the OP has realised they'd can be happy in Oz even if they'd rather not be there. I took me a long time to reach that conclusion (and longer to admit it to myself!)

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 6th 2013 at 9:54 am.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on TB! That's it exactly!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:59 am
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

Nice post, TB. No, I don't want to be a clingy parent, but I do want to be where my family is, so it's a hard choice. And obviously I'm not going to try seriously to stop my daughter moving there with her family - it's their life and they must make the decisions that are best for them.

I think, like TB, that I would go (sorry, Aussies!) and I'd try to explore around that part of the World as much as possible. There certainly are a lot of positives about the country, and I was always employed there, had good friends (hard to believe, maybe).

I'm not really a big fan of mushrooms, to be honest.