Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Waah, I don't wanna go

Waah, I don't wanna go

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice
Default Waah, I don't wanna go

We spent 7 years in Briz in the 90s, which I didn't enjoy, because of the far-awayness of England, the far-awayness of even the next town, the pommy-bashing, the blandness of the country and the lack of 'real' history.

Now our duaghter wants to go back with her husband and daughter, so obviously we'll go as well, but I'm really not looking forward to it. Yes, I know I should just Harden the F-- Up, stop whingeing, etc, but is anyone out there in the same situation? I got pretty homesick and resentful which is no fun for me or more importantly my family - how do you cope if you're a sensitive soul like what I am, with a love of history and green countryside and pubs?

I like Australians and got on fine socially, by the way (I know, hard to believe), so it wasn't a general dislike of the locals.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:18 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waah, I don't wanna go

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas
We spent 7 years in Briz in the 90s, which I didn't enjoy, because of the far-awayness of England, the far-awayness of even the next town, the pommy-bashing, the blandness of the country and the lack of 'real' history.

Now our duaghter wants to go back with her husband and daughter, so obviously we'll go as well, but I'm really not looking forward to it. Yes, I know I should just Harden the F-- Up, stop whingeing, etc, but is anyone out there in the same situation? I got pretty homesick and resentful which is no fun for me or more importantly my family - how do you cope if you're a sensitive soul like what I am, with a love of history and green countryside and pubs?

I like Australians and got on fine socially, by the way (I know, hard to believe), so it wasn't a general dislike of the locals.
Why do you 'obviously' want to go?

It would seem obvious to me that you should:
1) Stay where you are
2) See 1)
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Why do you 'obviously' want to go?

It would seem obvious to me that you should:
1) Stay where you are
2) See 1)
Very pleased to see someone else sees the logical solution as well
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

As above. I am baffled as to why you "obviously" have to go just because your daughter is. If you don't want to go, then don't go, you will only make yourself unhappy. Holidays is the way forward for you.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to chase your kids around the world! If you don't want to go, don't go. You can have an occasional holiday and they can do the same. Having kids on the other side of the world is perfectly do-able! And you never know, what if they decide to move somewhere else in a few years time, would you up sticks and trot after them again? Nah, you like UK, then stay!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the first time I've seen the comment that Australia doesn't have any real history. As if everything before we got off the plane was merely a fairy tale. Australia has a fascinating history, like any country. Plenty to learn about.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
It's not the first time I've seen the comment that Australia doesn't have any real history. As if everything before we got off the plane was merely a fairy tale. Australia has a fascinating history, like any country. Plenty to learn about.
I think a lotnof immigrants don't appreciate Australian history because it's...well so foreign.... We haven't grown up with it, we arent part of it, didnt contribute to it and we don't understand it... Therefore "we" disparage and dismiss it.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:53 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas

Like other posters, for the life of me, I can't see why you feel the need to go as well. Your daughter is married, he/they have a daughter. Is she not independent enough to go?

I hate to verge on being rude but have you considered that your daughter may not want to be accompanied in this way?

Nip down the pub and have a couple and a bit of a think.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jan 3rd 2013 at 1:12 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see why you have to follow your daughter either.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:15 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

So if you follow your daughter and go, what if in say 3 years time she wants to move somewhere else - another country, any country other than the UK? Are you telling me you are going to follow them around the world wherever they go?

Because if so, have a think about it - your need to be with her is fine but to the extent you are prepared to follow her anywhere around the world is worrying, because she is choosing to move for her own adventure, to spread her own wings which she cant do properly if she has her parents following her everywhere.

Why not stick with a solid home base in the UK that she knows she can come back to because a moving 'anchor' means you wont settle anywhere and she wont have that home base that many adult kids like to come back to.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! I never realised we're supposed to follow our adult children around the world. Holy crap...Now I'm going to have to clone myself. Really, otherwise how will I be able to live close to both my kids here and the one in North America?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
OMG! I never realised we're supposed to follow our adult children around the world. Holy crap...Now I'm going to have to clone myself. Really, otherwise how will I be able to live close to both my kids here and the one in North America?
A diagnosis of a split personality disorder may help you here Dotty....
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:41 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Cheetah7;10460934]So if you follow your daughter and go, what if in say 3 years time she wants to move somewhere else - another country, any country other than the UK? Are you telling me you are going to follow them around the world wherever they go?

Because if so, have a think about it - your need to be with her is fine but to the extent you are prepared to follow her anywhere around the world is worrying, because she is choosing to move for her own adventure, to spread her own wings which she cant do properly if she has her parents following her everywhere.

Why not stick with a solid home base in the UK that she knows she can come back to because a moving 'anchor' means you wont settle anywhere and she wont have that home base that many adult kids like to come back to.[/QUOTE]

Agree. Stay happy where you are and give your daughter somewhere to come back to.

If you don't believe she would be better off in Brisbane, don't enable her.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
A diagnosis of a split personality disorder may help you here Dotty....
That's what the voices in my head said as well.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's what the voices in my head said as well.
At least God has stopped sending you coded messages via the television...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.