Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccine

Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccine

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccin

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So there's no point in attempting to prevent others from getting another cancer then? We just let everyone who gets any sort of cancer die?

What an utter load of nonsense
They aren't even sure that it works yet... they will only see how effective it's been after a number of years.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccin

Originally Posted by bcworld
Oh well, might as well stop treating people for it as well then.

In fact might as well just shut down all the hospitals while we're at it...they're only there to furnish someone elses pockets anyway.
Thats a bit OTT.

When my Mum was here in oz, she was annoyed by her doctors constantly trying to peddle anti cholestorol drugs to her. She nearly gave in but heard on the radio late one night that that particular medication had been taken off the stock exchange due to concerns over its effectiveness/risks. Theres no doubt that Drs are encouraged to 'push' medications.

Sometimes the so-called facts are hard to find and its down to everyday people to share experiences and knowledge.

On Gardacil, Im interested to know why its not available to women over 26.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deedee_b
They aren't even sure that it works yet... they will only see how effective it's been after a number of years.
That's not what you put though is it? The premise of your post (as it appeared to me anyway) was that it wasn't worth it as you (general) are just as likely to die of another cancer.

It's a good job they didn't think like that when they came up with the vaccinations for Small Pox and all the other killers that have as near as damn it been wiped out.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Thats a bit OTT.

When my Mum was here in oz, she was annoyed by her doctors constantly trying to peddle anti cholestorol drugs to her. She nearly gave in but heard on the radio late one night that that particular medication had been taken off the stock exchange due to concerns over its effectiveness/risks. Theres no doubt that Drs are encouraged to 'push' medications.

Sometimes the so-called facts are hard to find and its down to everyday people to share experiences and knowledge.

On Gardacil, Im interested to know why its not available to women over 26.
Is it truly "not available" - or just "not recommended"? I think you'll find that it is available, but you have to pay for it. I'm sure the logic is that there aren't going to be too many women around over 26 that haven't been exposed to HPV, and therefore it would not "benefit" them.

There was some media item recently I noticed that suggested that Gardasil was going to be recommended for middle-aged women next. Particularly if they can come up with more "evidence" of protection from breast cancer.
I don't think they're making quite so much money from this one as they'd like so they're trying to find a new market. They'll find a tie-in to prostate cancer next...
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

That's not what you put though is it? The premise of your post (as it appeared to me anyway) was that it wasn't worth it as you (general) are just as likely to die of another cancer.

It's a good job they didn't think like that when they came up with the vaccinations for Small Pox and all the other killers that have as near as damn it been wiped out.
I suppose it did come out rather harshly. I was reading that article about HIV, there are many people that live healthy without the medications.
If we are healthy and good to our bodies then we can prevent MANY cancers.

So.. what is the point if in the end we are going to ruin our bodies in other ways with smoking and drinking etc?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Its like those women that with family historys of breast cancer having their baps removed completely as to avoid breast cancer when they may very well end up with some other variety of cancer. When you consider that in some places, children cant attend preschools without their vaccinations up to date, who knows, it may be applied to high school/health insurance and Gardacil only covers a small part of the HPV virus, whilst ovarian cancer for example is hard to detect. A healthy paranoia is just as important as good faith in blokes in white coats.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Its like those women that with family historys of breast cancer having their baps removed completely as to avoid breast cancer when they may very well end up with some other variety of cancer. When you consider that in some places, children cant attend preschools without their vaccinations up to date, who knows, it may be applied to high school/health insurance and Gardacil only covers a small part of the HPV virus, whilst ovarian cancer for example is hard to detect. A healthy paranoia is just as important as good faith in blokes in white coats.
I think, if you were to ask any of those women who's genetic history leads them to believe they will develop breast cancer and who go through the mind blowing decision to have their breasts removed, they will tell you they fully understand the possibility of getting another cancer. They will also tell you that if they've cut the chances of developing cancer and possibly living longer than their mothers/sisters/aunts, it's a decision worth taking.

Let's face it, those same women could have their breasts removed and a couple of weeks later get killed in a car crash. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything we can to prevent at least one thing happening to us all.

However this is a discussion that bears a close resemblance to the MMR jab. Some will agree with it, some won't and no one will change another person's mind on the subject.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I think, if you were to ask any of those women who's genetic history leads them to believe they will develop breast cancer and who go through the mind blowing decision to have their breasts removed, they will tell you they fully understand the possibility of getting another cancer. They will also tell you that if they've cut the chances of developing cancer and possibly living longer than their mothers/sisters/aunts, it's a decision worth taking.

Let's face it, those same women could have their breasts removed and a couple of weeks later get killed in a car crash. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything we can to prevent at least one thing happening to us all.

However this is a discussion that bears a close resemblance to the MMR jab. Some will agree with it, some won't and no one will change another person's mind on the subject.

Thats right. IF I had daughters of the age, I probably wouldnt put my money on this vaccine, instead I would rather encourage the use of condoms. Who would have thought that a piece of latex could guard against most STD's, pregnancy and whatever ghastly amoebas are lurking and festering beneath the foreskin.

Sorry, not eating your dinner are you?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Thats right. IF I had daughters of the age, I probably wouldnt put my money on this vaccine, instead I would rather encourage the use of condoms. Who would have thought that a piece of latex could guard against most STD's, pregnancy and whatever ghastly amoebas are lurking and festering beneath the foreskin.

Sorry, not eating your dinner are you?
Just finished. Both daughters have had the jabs and eldest uses condoms. Recently asked to go on the pill. When I asked why she said she didn't want a condom splitting but that she had no intention of doing away with them. Incredibly sensible thank god even if I wish she wasn't 'at it' at all
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

My 16 year old daughter has had this vaccine just as my eldest son was one of the first to have the MMR vaccine. Sure there are side effects, and dont get me wrong the stories on here are horrific, but i was happy for her to have it. She also knows that it doesnt mean the end of pap tests and knows that condoms also help in prevention of much more than unwanted pregnancy. Guess its all about education, parental and child education and I am happy I made the right choice.
A friend of hers who had vaccine at same time did react - fainted constantly for 4 hours, stood up to fall back down. Very very scary but after monitoring at hospital for 24 hours she has shown no other effects. Interesting fact was that it was her mother (the nurse) who admistered the school vaccines!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by daunted
Interesting fact was that it was her mother (the nurse) who admistered the school vaccines!
Probably wasn't as gentle and caring with the injection as she would have been to all the other kids
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Read a while ago that there was a organised campaign by "some" born again christian groups to discredit this vaccine across the internet as they have been taught to believe it increases sexual activity if girls are vaccinated - by making the punishment for having sex less dangerous.

Haven't bothered to follow up on it but it does mean that I filter all reports/stories/anecdotes about this vaccine in case the drug companies aren't the only one's pushing an agenda.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Read a while ago that there was a organised campaign by "some" born again christian groups to discredit this vaccine across the internet as they have been taught to believe it increases sexual activity if girls are vaccinated - by making the punishment for having sex less dangerous.
Whats the punishment for having sex?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the punishment for having sex?
The vaccine prevents woman catching some sexually transmitted diseases that lead to cervical cancer. So the thinking is that the vaccine removes another reason for "not" having pre-marital sex - so it should not be allowed.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
The vaccine prevents woman catching some sexually transmitted diseases that lead to cervical cancer. So the thinking is that the vaccine removes another reason for "not" having pre-marital sex - so it should not be allowed.

Oh OK. I dont think that line of thinking has worked so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.