Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccine

Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccine

Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccine

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...r-vaccine.html

But...don't complain too loudly or make a fuss about it because:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6823345.ece

"The mother of a 13-year-old girl who became partly paralysed after being given a cervical cancer vaccination says social workers have told her the child may be removed if she (the mother) continues to link her condition with the vaccination."
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:43 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccin

And parents will be fobbed off, blamed, ignored etc for a long time to come before anything is admitted. As always it will become a blame game with the health/pharma professions covering their asses.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccin

The report also said:
Most of the more than 2,000 suspected reactions recorded by drug safety watchdog Medicines and Health care products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) were mild, with dozens of girls recording rashes, pain in the arm, and allergies.
A handful of girls at our school may be included in those numbers, my daughter possibly being one, although her arm pain only lasted 1 day, and I am not sure if we reported it as such.

I think if they included all children with those mild reactions, it would be well above 2,000.

The problem with this, is that most vaccines have a certain number of people who get a reaction.

Is this one more or less than the Polio vaccine for example ?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The report also said:

A handful of girls at our school may be included in those numbers, my daughter possibly being one, although her arm pain only lasted 1 day, and I am not sure if we reported it as such.

I think if they included all children with those mild reactions, it would be well above 2,000.

The problem with this, is that most vaccines have a certain number of people who get a reaction.

Is this one more or less than the Polio vaccine for example ?
Define "mild". I don't think I would classify an allergy as a "mild" reaction, given that it may well be lifelong... And a rash may be syptomatic of an allergy.

Put it this way, if your child had a rash as a result of being given an antibiotic such as penicillin, they wouldn't be given it again - the wisdom is that the rash is an allergic reaction and the next dose of the antibiotic might trigger something far worse like anaphylaxis. So why is it deemed a "mild" reaction and less significant when a vaccine triggers a rash?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:26 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Never had any intention of letting my child have the vaccination.. we looked into it and thought the better of it... those stories are horrendous.. poor kids..

Em x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:49 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

I think people really need to start asking questions and looking at the relationships between, the media, the government and large corporations.

There must be something seriously wrong if there getting away with things like this.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
Define "mild".
A pain in the arm that lasts half an hour, after an injection ?

Is that mild or not ?

That is one of the difficulties with figures like that, how many had rashes that lasted a day or so, how many just a short term pain in the arm, caused purely by the needle, and how many had serious problems that lasted longer than that?

The article title itself says: Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects. Only suspected ? How many were just a very short term pain from the needle ? 1,900 ?? We don't know.

Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:39 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A pain in the arm that lasts half an hour, after an injection ?

Is that mild or not ?

That is one of the difficulties with figures like that, how many had rashes that lasted a day or so, how many just a short term pain in the arm, caused purely by the needle, and how many had serious problems that lasted longer than that?

The article title itself says: Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects. Only suspected ? How many were just a very short term pain from the needle ? 1,900 ?? We don't know.
More to do with a legal frenzy... suprised they didnt go the whole hog and say "Allegedly" at the end of the sentence..

Em x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Having seen the results of cervical cancer in one of my friends, my daughter thought a sore arm she had for the day was nothing to complain about.
I hyperventilated after most of the vaccine's I am old enough to remember having(which is one of the ill effects listed in the article for the Cervarix). Was caused by the fear of needles I have and was nothing to do with the drug, but that wouldn't look good for the scare stories would it
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

I held off having DD vaccinated for more than 18 months after it's inital introduction but after being harangued by GP relented. A couple of weeks ago she had the 2nd dose and since then has had headaches on an almost daily basis that are not going away with paracetamol.

Having read some of the following posts am now a little worried:
http://www.jabs.org.uk/forum/topic.a...Terms=cervical

Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As with any injection/medication there will always be someone who suffers an allergic reaction that ultimately could kill them. Basically a manmade chemical is being put in a human body. However, in my opinion (which is just as a bog standard member of the general public) I think the positives of this vaccine far outweigh the negatives. Yes there will be some who have bad reactions but how many women will be saved the hell of cervical cancer?

Also, considering that millions of girls/women around the world have so far had the vaccine, a few thousand with these issues is a tiny drop in the ocean (unless you're one of the ones suffering of course). My eldest suffered no effects of the vaccine, my youngest was headachey and nauseous after it. They both had the second dose, never occurred to me for them not to have it.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:01 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has had her two doses too, sore, lumpy arm for a few days, but thats all, thank goodness.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

And now this has come to light as well...

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/...5741252754398/
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As with any injection/medication there will always be someone who suffers an allergic reaction that ultimately could kill them. Basically a manmade chemical is being put in a human body. However, in my opinion (which is just as a bog standard member of the general public) I think the positives of this vaccine far outweigh the negatives. Yes there will be some who have bad reactions but how many women will be saved the hell of cervical cancer?
Well actually that's the bizarre thing - your last question probably won't be answered for a long time, because they reckon it will be about 25 years or so before they can see any appreciative impact.

And the silly thing is that this vaccine won't mean the end of Pap smears. Women will still have to carry on having those (or at least, it will still be recommended) because they might develop one of the 30% of cervical cancers that aren't "prevented" by the HPV vaccine. What's worrying is that there is a resurgence in the incidence of syphilis and other STDs, so it may be that some young women are being lulled into a false sense of security by this vaccine and not practising safe sex.

Also, considering that millions of girls/women around the world have so far had the vaccine, a few thousand with these issues is a tiny drop in the ocean (unless you're one of the ones suffering of course). My eldest suffered no effects of the vaccine, my youngest was headachey and nauseous after it. They both had the second dose, never occurred to me for them not to have it.
I'm glad your daughters suffered no serious side effects. But sadly there is no way of predicting who will and who won't have a serious side effect. I don't expect the women who have lost their daughters to this vaccine thought they would be the statistical "drop in the ocean", but they are. But I wonder how many still feel this vaccine is for the "common good" when their child is the one affected...
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I shan't be letting my daughter have the vaccine as I'm not sufficiently satisfied that it's safe. I think I would rather teach her to be vigilent and have smears and self-test etc and deal with anything should it arise. With the (albeit gradual) advances in science, I'm hoping that by the time she is older, there will be more treatments available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.