Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Donald
84.62%
Hillary
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Old Nov 11th 2016, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Because those 4 million votes counted for nothing, the system saw to that and the left were overjoyed, at that part of the result at least. UKIPpers calling for proportional representation were swiftly told to button it and deal with the result. Now the boot's on the other foot isn't it?
Well no, I had no vote in the UK election and so it doesn't suit me either way. But I wonder are you actually defending that type of system? My personal view is that there should be no party politics and a board of experts should be elected as independents with every vote counting. UKip wouldn't exist and neither would the two party preferred system. I don't see how it makes sense to argue that the system is a little bit wrong and that little bit needs changing. It's all a massive mess.

Also, Russell Brand predicted a revolution in politics. I guess we are at the beginning of it. On a lighter note, I remember when Ireland used to win the Eurovision song contest without even trying. Then we couldn't win it for the life of us. So, we threw in Jedward as a way to join the 'camp brigade'. Hopefully the DNC don't follow that lead.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Maybe comments like 'Mexicans aren't sending their best'. Look, we'll go back and forth about whether Donald Trump is racist for the next four years. Do you also think he's not chauvinistic?

Hi choice of words are very important. His supporters have no grounds to think his words are just words and to not take him literally. People who didn't vote for him rightfully didn't see a need to take him seriously as they had no idea just how far against Clinton America was/is. The DNC had the numbers to think the same.

Also, don't assume that I think border control is racist. I don't. But did Trump take out a full page ad on the the Italian mafia or the hundreds of thousands of illegal Irish immigrants? Border control isn't merely about Mexicans or Muslims.

But the biggest problem I see with Donald Trump is the fact that if he can't be taken literally, no-one knows what he stands for. And if he has to be taken seriously, he'll run the country like a dictator. All of you who are against communism, I can't see how this decision brings you closer to a non communist world.
(btw, just to clarify for the audience who like to call some of us 'west haters', I'm not a communist)
Well Mexico isn't sending their best. Just a fact . Most are unskilled and very low education, even the Spanish knowledge of some crossing the border is very low, and besides my own observation better educated Mexicans I know say the same thing. Sure the way Trump phrased things was inappropriate, but his reasons for border control certainly aren't racist.

Is he chauvinistic ? Some people would see that as a strength , "America First".

As far as his words time will tell. I agree he didn't during the election choose his words carefully. And I agree there seemed little talk from either right or left about all the illegals that simply over-stayed their visas.

I deal with lots of illegals , helping some of them with translations or advice, and others on a social basis. Being for border control and reducing immigration can be a valid position that has nothing to do with racism.

As far as Muslims one look at Sweden, or the various terrorist attacks in Europe and US, it would suggest to err on the side of caution. In any case Muslims aren't a race, so again I fail to see how his policy would be considered racist. Or as a practical matter banning Muslims could be implemented for Muslims holding European passports. More than one Trump supporter has told me they don't expect him to implement everything, but that he would put American interests first. But putting a ban in place until acceptable vetting procedures in place on those from regions that sponsor or harbor terrorists is a security and not a race issue.

Last edited by morpeth; Nov 11th 2016 at 11:01 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Well Mexico isn't sending their best. Just a fact . Most are unskilled and very low education, even the Spanish knowledge of some crossing the border is very low, and besides my own observation better educated Mexicans I know say the same thing. Sure the way Trump phrased things was inappropriate, but his reasons for border control certainly aren't racist.

Is he chauvinistic ? Some people would see that as a strength , "America First".

As far as his words time will tell. I agree he didn't during the election choose his words carefully. And I agree there seemed little talk from either right or left about all the illegals that simply over-stayed their visas.

I deal with lots of illegals , helping some of them with translations or advice, and others on a social basis. Being for border control and reducing immigration can be a valid position that has nothing to do with racism.

As far as Muslims one look at Sweden, or the various terrorist attacks in Europe and US, it would suggest to err on the side of caution. In any case Muslims aren't a race, so again I fail to see how his policy would be considered racist. Or as a practical matter banning Muslims could be implemented for Muslims holding European passports. More than one Trump supporter has told me they don't expect him to implement everything, but that he would put American interests first. But putting a ban in place until acceptable vetting procedures in place on those from regions that sponsor or harbor terrorists is a security and not a race issue.
Who are Mexicans best? Are the Irish not sending their best? There is a problem with the Mexican drug cartel in American, sure. But he shows his racism by discriminating against all Mexicans. You're right, Muslims are not a race. But how would he enforce his anti muslim control if not by skin colour?

Ok, when I said chauvinistic, I wan't referring to his 'America is the greatest' view and I think you know that.

Trump didn't choose his words carefully and seemed to attract anger and violence all the way along his campaign. Will he polish up and be a better speaker whilst president? Who knows, but I doubt it.

It's still amazing to me that people see him as a qualified person to be US president when he has been nothing but selfish, narcissistic and arrogant. He didn't even apologise for the hot mic incident.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe comments like 'Mexicans aren't sending their best'. Look, we'll go back and forth about whether Donald Trump is racist for the next four years. Do you also think he's not chauvinistic?

Hi choice of words are very important. His supporters have no grounds to think his words are just words and to not take him literally. People who didn't vote for him rightfully didn't see a need to take him seriously as they had no idea just how far against Clinton America was/is. The DNC had the numbers to think the same.

Also, don't assume that I think border control is racist. I don't. But did Trump take out a full page ad on the the Italian mafia or the hundreds of thousands of illegal Irish immigrants? Border control isn't merely about Mexicans or Muslims.

But the biggest problem I see with Donald Trump is the fact that if he can't be taken literally, no-one knows what he stands for. And if he has to be taken seriously, he'll run the country like a dictator. All of you who are against communism, I can't see how this decision brings you closer to a non communist world.
(btw, just to clarify for the audience who like to call some of us 'west haters', I'm not a communist)
Rule No.1

Never take any politician's words literally.

Rule No. 2

Refer to rule No. 1

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 12th 2016 at 12:35 am.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Rule No.1

Never take any politician's words literally.

Rule No. 2

Refer to rule No. 1

The problem with that in this case is that Trump doesn't have a track record in politics. He does have a track record of ignorance and greed. His words in this campaign reflected that too. So if he can't be taken literally, he shouldn't even get to run. If people have no idea which side he is on and only know what he is against, how can anyone make an informed vote?
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with that in this case is that Trump doesn't have a track record in politics. He does have a track record of ignorance and greed. His words in this campaign reflected that too. So if he can't be taken literally, he shouldn't even get to run. If people have no idea which side he is on and only know what he is against, how can anyone make an informed vote?
He is not a politician yet, but learning fast.

Not being taken literally is not a condition of not being able to run for president in the US.

If voters only know what he is against, they can pretty much guesstimate what he is for or neutral on.

Researching both Hillary and Donald on Google comes up with heaps on what they are both for and against respectively. Most people can research enough to make an informed decision on who they would vote for.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
For these reasons, the facts are tripping up your agenda.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

All the while you deride people as idiots and racists, instead of engaging them and persuading them to see things from your perspective, there will be no change.
All the while they are ignorant and persist in maintaining that ignorance and still voting, there will be no change.

Seriously, this wasn't a complicated one - Trump was an avowed incompetent, arrogant, ignorant, lying, PoS - nobody could not know what he was, and what he will actually do. Yet they voted for him.

You keep saying 'engage with them' - but the evidence is in. They would prefer a comforting lie to the truth (as it seems would you). You could engage till you are blue in the face; against that, rationality and evidence cannot win.

And my point was - it's only going to get worse. Despite Beoz's grasping a straws, there's going to be lots of redundancies, unemployment will rise. The axis of stupidity will not be able to deal with it, let alone develop a plan to address it. Like climate change, they will try to talk it into non-existence, and like climate change, the frog will boil.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarryP
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

All the while they are ignorant and persist in maintaining that ignorance and still voting, there will be no change.

Seriously, this wasn't a complicated one - Trump was an avowed incompetent, arrogant, ignorant, lying, PoS - nobody could not know what he was, and what he will actually do. Yet they voted for him.

You keep saying 'engage with them' - but the evidence is in. They would prefer a comforting lie to the truth (as it seems would you). You could engage till you are blue in the face; against that, rationality and evidence cannot win.

And my point was - it's only going to get worse. Despite Beoz's grasping a straws, there's going to be lots of redundancies, unemployment will rise. The axis of stupidity will not be able to deal with it, let alone develop a plan to address it. Like climate change, they will try to talk it into non-existence, and like climate change, the frog will boil.
As I say, not worth talking to. But on the subject of comforting lies, it's convenient for you to believe that there is a sub class of thick racist idiots not worth dealing with, the uncomfortable truth is that you and your ilk created them.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Nov 12th 2016 at 1:44 am.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

As I say, not worth talking to. But on the subject of comforting lies, it's convenient for you to believe that there is a sub class of thick racist idiots not worth dealing with, the uncomfortable truth is that you and your ilk created them.
You are the one pointing to them as racist, I'm just saying that they are stupid and ignorant. Stupid for falling for the con, and ignorant of what the policies and evidence actually were (in other words, unsuitable to vote).

And no, I didn't create them. Quite the opposite. Trying to push the blame onto 'liberals' is another of those cons of the far right that the thick keep falling for.

Washington Post has a nice bit on how trump's lies have played the voters, and how the people he's appointing to his 'transition' team point up what he really is. Guess what, the EPA head is a climate denier.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ou-got-conned/
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are the one pointing to them as racist, I'm just saying that they are stupid and ignorant. Stupid for falling for the con, and ignorant of what the policies and evidence actually were (in other words, unsuitable to vote).

And no, I didn't create them. Quite the opposite. Trying to push the blame onto 'liberals' is another of those cons of the far right that the thick keep falling for.

Washington Post has a nice bit on how trump's lies have played the voters, and how the people he's appointing to his 'transition' team point up what he really is. Guess what, the EPA head is a climate denier.

The Washington post would have pointed out the Clinton lies that the voters fell for had she won? Because she has lied many many times during her involvement with politics. Anyone who disagrees with you seems to be thick, go figure.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Shorten lied about Media-scare and you voted for him. That surely makes you stupid and ignorant right?
Old Nov 12th 2016, 6:53 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Bill Shorten lied about Media-scare and you voted for him. That surely makes you stupid and ignorant right?
Well, two points
  1. He didn't lie, as has been demonstrated.
  2. I didn't vote for him (or at least not till well down the voting form)
Old Nov 12th 2016, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Keep focussed. We are all aware of what he said. The question here is, which policy is racist?

Now building a wall is a matter of border protection. The US along with every country has a degree of border protection. Some have the luxury of a natural border like a sea, some have neighbours who are happy not to cross at will, some have neighbours where they are allowed to cross at will.

If you can't control a border which is long and isolated in many parts, especially when that border delivers society crippling drugs along with humans, there aren't really many other options available.

I'm actually surprised, given the drug super highway from central and south America, that the Mexican US border doesn't have a wall already.
A racist is someone who believes one race is superior to all others (look it up if you are unsure). Clearly by wishing to exclude particular groups Trump and other racists wish to preserve their supposed 'superiority'.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
A racist is someone who believes one race is superior to all others (look it up if you are unsure). Clearly by wishing to exclude particular groups Trump and other racists wish to preserve their supposed 'superiority'.
Thanks for the update but don't believe that is any in Trumps policies but feel free to point one out if I have overlooked it.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, two points
  1. He didn't lie, as has been demonstrated.
  2. I didn't vote for him (or at least not till well down the voting form)
Has Medicare been privatised? No. And you voted for Shorten at least somewhere.

Well nuff said really, see you previous post about ignorant and stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.