Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie

Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:43 am   #16
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally stuffed up with the ATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by astera View Post
Really? What if someone doesn't live in Oz but just opened an account there - surely the w/h takes care of matters and annual returns aren't expected from all foreign account holders? That would be a bureaucratic nightmare...

Yeah, I've heard of a similar one from the UK where you need to inform them that you are departing permanently. I believe the one in the UK actually makes you certify that you are leaving for a REAL JOB, so that you cannot just cut yourself loose by going on a permanent vacation...

Polly mentioned a while back I believe that the landing/departure cards are simply collecting general/statistical data from passengers. As for the electoral roll I got shafted by not receiving any letters concerning a fine for not voting... even though I was overseas at the time. The fine was posted, but the family thought they shouldn't interfere with my personal correspondence.
They've stopped the Leaving Australia cards now. No longer interested apparently.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th 2017, 2:17 pm   #17
Card Carrying Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
For reasons I can't recall (insanity, probably) I thought that when I left Australia, I wouldn't need to fill in any more tax returns. The only money I'd be getting was bank interest, I'd given my bank my overseas address, and the amount of the interest would be under the tax free threshold each year.

What a wally. The interest was subject to withholding tax as I was no longer a tax resident of Australia. The tax free threshold doesn't apply because I'm not an Oz tax resident. The bank didn't withhold the tax, I didn't keep on top of it by checking at the end of each financial year - so a few days ago I received an email from my.gov telling me to check my messages.

$1,800 penalty from the ATO for 3 years non-lodgement of tax returns, and a very strong warning to get my tax affairs up to date as interest is accruing daily on the penalty.

Have just got off the phone to my former Australian accountant - it took 2 hours to sort out. I owe about a grand in tax and I'll probably still have to pay the $1,800, although he's requesting remission of all or part of the penalty.

That'll teach me
Relax. I've been fined by the ATG (Australian Taxation Gestapo) before and eventually got it rescinded. Plead mental stress and anxiety - it worked for me
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:17 am   #18
BE Forum Addict

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Relax. I've been fined by the ATG (Australian Taxation Gestapo) before and eventually got it rescinded. Plead mental stress and anxiety - it worked for me
A spell behind bars usually sees the slate wiped clean though.
the troubadour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th 2017, 6:27 am   #19
Card Carrying Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A spell behind bars usually sees the slate wiped clean though.
What's jail got to do with a fine from the ATO?
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:01 am   #20
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie