Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things we take for granted

Things we take for granted

Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things we take for granted

Originally Posted by suzy
Sounds like the ones who love the outdoors have lived in Oz before. I lived in Oz for a while some years ago and even tho' Nick hasn't we both love outdoor life. In the summer I'm outside from 5am having brekkie on the deck to 11pm - Not too keen on the rain but cold days with bright blue skies like today are wonderful. In fact I've just been doing a bit of gardening this morning.

Not a normal pom
The kids go out in all weathers too (whether they like it or not)! My sister, on the other hand, moans like hell when its raining and insists on spending £15 a go on taking them to those indoor play areas! what a rip off! We do loads of mountain biking, presently the boys are going through a bike a year due to wear and tear plus height growth. they'd like new bikes for xmas, but not sure what to do? Do we spend a lot of money in Halfords on adult bikes for them that they can grow into and we can take to aus, or do we pop to tesco's and grab some cheapy ones, then buy new in aus??? Oh I hate having to make adult decisions!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:32 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Glad I am not alone with being out and about.
Just re-read my post, I don't mean I am the only gay in the village

Caroline - your story and attitude to Australia and life is spot on, long may it continue for you.

MMum
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Just re-read my post, I don't mean I am the only gay in the village

Caroline - your story and attitude to Australia and life is spot on, long may it continue for you.

MMum
Thankyou
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
The kids go out in all weathers too (whether they like it or not)! My sister, on the other hand, moans like hell when its raining and insists on spending £15 a go on taking them to those indoor play areas! what a rip off! We do loads of mountain biking, presently the boys are going through a bike a year due to wear and tear plus height growth. they'd like new bikes for xmas, but not sure what to do? Do we spend a lot of money in Halfords on adult bikes for them that they can grow into and we can take to aus, or do we pop to tesco's and grab some cheapy ones, then buy new in aus??? Oh I hate having to make adult decisions!
Thats the other thing we take forgranted! Shopping!

We have some really good quality stuff here, very well priced and stacks of choice. Clothes shopping is great! Definately haven't got that luxery out in aus.

Also taken forgranted, the NHS. I know everyone has their moans about it, but its been good to me. The fact you can see you're GP free of charge, have emergency treatment and in some cases, get free prescriptions is always a bonus. I know we all pay tax, but in aus you pay high taxes and STILL have to pay for healthcare???? Whats going on there then???
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Thankyou
You are welcome, your posts are inspirational and a pleasure to read
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:36 pm

Also taken forgranted, the NHS. I know everyone has their moans about it, but its been good to me. The fact you can see you're GP free of charge, have emergency treatment and in some cases, get free prescriptions is always a bonus. I know we all pay tax, but in aus you pay high taxes and STILL have to pay for healthcare???? Whats going on there then???
Very true, I have had to pay for healthcare in other countries and it is no laughing matter, the NHS ain't perfect but better than most.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point about mountain bikes. Nick's dithering over whether to get a new one in Oz or take his. He's got 2 - flash git - is it worth transporting them.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good point about mountain bikes. Nick's dithering over whether to get a new one in Oz or take his. He's got 2 - flash git - is it worth transporting them.
I'm taking mine as I love my bike! Mark's is new so he's taking his as well. I'd say on the whole, there's no difference in quality, but they're cheaper here and you know what you're getting from halfords. I'd take them X
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm taking mine as I love my bike! Mark's is new so he's taking his as well. I'd say on the whole, there's no difference in quality, but they're cheaper here and you know what you're getting from halfords. I'd take them X

I'll take your advice on that then. And thoroughly cleaned with jeyes fluid and jet washed
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll take your advice on that then. And thoroughly cleaned with jeyes fluid and jet washed
oh yes they love British dirt at customs! Was sorting through the attic the other day, and finally (only a year later) managed to unpack a suitcase. Inside was stacks of aussie sand (in the kids jean pockets etc). no one stopped me about that at heathrow. in fact, we were gobsmacked that we never got checked at all on our return! we could've sneaked a little indonesian guy through no probs
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:32 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

HIya i am not in Oz yet but have decided to film my little boy doing some of the things that he will won't remember doing as he is only little so on his Birthday on Sunday come rain or shine we are wrapping him up in an old coat hat scarf and gloves(he looks so cute all bundled up) wellies on and an old pair of jeans and then we are going puddle busting in Sutton park and filming him doing it he loves jumping in puddles the wetter the better for me it is not so much the puddles but the fact that when we are in Oz he will be celebrating his birthday in the summer rather than the winter so this birthday will be extra special have asked the grandparents along too so we can get us all on video. I think i take it for granted here that we have such beautiful places to visit and don't get out there. If only we could have a big snow like we used to before we go in January so i can film him building a snowman. Our friend used our camcorder at our leaving do t film us loads of messages from our friends we haven't watched it yet as we are going to wait till we get to Oz. I also want to film our house and our street so that when thomas gets old enough to understand we can show him where he lived in the UK. Anyway will let you know how our winter walk goes on Sunday.

Poshrice
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by poshrice
HIya i am not in Oz yet but have decided to film my little boy doing some of the things that he will won't remember doing as he is only little so on his Birthday on Sunday come rain or shine we are wrapping him up in an old coat hat scarf and gloves(he looks so cute all bundled up) wellies on and an old pair of jeans and then we are going puddle busting in Sutton park and filming him doing it he loves jumping in puddles the wetter the better for me it is not so much the puddles but the fact that when we are in Oz he will be celebrating his birthday in the summer rather than the winter so this birthday will be extra special have asked the grandparents along too so we can get us all on video. I think i take it for granted here that we have such beautiful places to visit and don't get out there. If only we could have a big snow like we used to before we go in January so i can film him building a snowman. Our friend used our camcorder at our leaving do t film us loads of messages from our friends we haven't watched it yet as we are going to wait till we get to Oz. I also want to film our house and our street so that when thomas gets old enough to understand we can show him where he lived in the UK. Anyway will let you know how our winter walk goes on Sunday.

Poshrice
Awww, sounds fab, have fun
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:43 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Family and friends on the whole.

Hubby still makes my heart skip a beat. Kids are adorable. Mum and stepDad drive me nuts but I will miss them unbelievably when we're in Oz.

Life I feel I take for granted. A friend of ours just over a year ago suffered a brain hemorrhage. Amazing he lived but has changed totally. Destroyed his family and kids. Just don't know what's around the corner.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Off on a 'slight' tangent but trying to stay on topic..........

One thing I have realised that I take for granted in the UK, is our close proximity to some 'fantastic' European countries!

I have only visited a handful but am starting to realise how difficult it will be to visit the ones I really want to see once we get to OZ....

Spose I'll have to make do with Bali then
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:41 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unycorne
i was swimming with my dog in the sea in shorts and a bikini top

Eh? You or the Dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.