Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

And they're off .....

And they're off .....

Old May 9th 2016, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And they're off .....

Originally Posted by bcworld
Says who? What will change?
Still waiting on the answer too.
Old May 9th 2016, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Sick Pay .... isn't that the bonus you add it into your holiday allowance regardless whether you are sick or not?

Yes, people will be worse off. Clamping down on using sick pay as a means to take extra holiday will make people worse off. Using it for genuine reasons is acceptable.

This is more about change than anything else. People who have used penalty rates to get double the pay for half the amount of work will have to change their habits.

In the end you might find that companies will pay a night shift rate that differs from day shift rates anyway - they will need a mechanism to entice people to work at nights.

You may also find that companies deploy a profit sharing system to encourage hard work so that reduction in staff may be rewarding rather than looked upon as your historical right.

It doesn't matter what you think, what matters is what the majority at this election think. I personally predict that's already a known outcome.

The Libs did dare "Go there" Silly buggers.

WA is going to be really interesting as the work force is really under reduction pressures there.

As for you views on shifts... shows how little you know..... late Afternoon/ evening shift is a far worse and lifestyle restrictive shift than pure night shift ..... Still I realise your principle stays the same.

As for who and what will change says re the allowances under the award system currently .... see my last post and apply it to every utility and service industry that has moved over to contract.

Workers wont be worse orf ...... I can't believe you really believe that !!

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 9th 2016 at 7:34 am.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It doesn't matter what you think, what matters is what the majority at this election think. I personally predict that's already a known outcome.

The Libs did dare "Go there" Silly buggers.

WA is going to be really interesting as the work force is really under reduction pressures there.

As for you views on shifts... shows how little you know..... late Afternoon/ evening shift is a far worse and lifestyle restrictive shift than pure night shift ..... Still I realise your principle stays the same.

As for who and what will change says re the allowances under the award system currently .... see my last post and apply it to every utility and service industry that has moved over to contract.

Workers wont be worse orf ...... I can't believe you really believe that !!
The WA situation is due to a global downturn in resource requirements. What that got to do with "Workers Rights"?

Where did I say workers won't be worse off?

I'm making the point workers will have to change. Penalty rates are no longer applicable and only are in place to please a few. Most of the workforce do an afternoon shift and those with children need to find a way to juggle family, pay for child care etc without any extra pay.

As I said there could be a silver lining to individual negotiations. Those who prefer the night shift may be able to negotiate a nice little earner. Supply and demand.

Sounds like you are a little entrenched in your old ways. And to be honest, if its all about penalty rates and sick pay, without looking up the stats, I suspect the these may have little effect on most employees and therefore be a non topic at election time.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The WA situation is due to a global downturn in resource requirements. What that got to do with "Workers Rights"?
Because with fewer jobs available and less protection potentially then employers will be able demand more. Especially without Federal and State award protection. This prospect will suddenly loom large in WA workers mindset.

I'm sure you knew that already and were being disingenuous though..... surely ??
Old May 9th 2016, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where did I say workers won't be worse off?

. Most of the workforce do an afternoon shift and those with children need to find a way to juggle family, pay for child care etc without any extra pay.

They need not be worse off under the current system.

Not the case at A post... in fact it's how people transfer from place to place to the least favourable shift at a facility probably closer to home....whilst those on that shift within that facility move to a more affable shift time as vacancies within the facility become available through parcel growth or attrition.

And it is the full time late Afternoon into late Evening shift that is the least popular...far less popular than the far more lucrative and less socially intrusive night shift....believe it or not.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Because with fewer jobs available and less protection potentially then employers will be able demand more. Especially without Federal and State award protection. This prospect will suddenly loom large in WA workers mindset.

I'm sure you knew that already and were being disingenuous though..... surely ??
Make your prediction on what will happen in WA then. According to the ABC calculator on the biggest swing to Labor indicated by recent polls (52:48) they'll pick up ONE seat in WA. Let's not forget in the 'Workchoices' election in 2007 when the rest of the country was voting for Rudd, WA was swinging to the Coalition. Changed economic times for WA sure, now they merely enjoy the same unemployment rate as everyone else, rather than being way below average.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Make your prediction on what will happen in WA then. According to the ABC calculator on the biggest swing to Labor indicated by recent polls (52:48) they'll pick up ONE seat in WA. Let's not forget in the 'Workchoices' election in 2007 when the rest of the country was voting for Rudd, WA was swinging to the Coalition. Changed economic times for WA sure, now they merely enjoy the same unemployment rate as everyone else, rather than being way below average.

The campaign has barely started yet...and they reckon even 24 hours is a long time in politics. The next few weeks will be very telling.
Old May 9th 2016, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They need not be worse off under the current system.

Not the case at A post... in fact it's how people transfer from place to place to the least favourable shift at a facility probably closer to home....whilst those on that shift within that facility move to a more affable shift time as vacancies within the facility become available through parcel growth or attrition.

And it is the full time late Afternoon into late Evening shift that is the least popular...far less popular than the far more lucrative and less socially intrusive night shift....believe it or not.
Have you ever thought that the grumblings you see in Oz Post may not be reflective across all those working?

What about those on annual salaries?

Do you really think these changes are enough to sink the Libs?

My prediction is that there will be big losses for the ALP with a swing over to the Greens. I'm not convinced that the old Labor "workers rights" policies are what "most" are after these days.
Old May 9th 2016, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite obvious what's going to happen in this election. The coalition will panic over a dive in the polls, Tony Abbott will call for a leadership spill, he will lose emphatically and then the election turns out to be a hung parliament. Clive Palmer will have run for a seat but only got 1 vote which he cast himself. Bill Shorten will have talks with Nick Xenophon and Jackie Lambie. Turnbull will fail to negotiate a deal with the greens. Kevin Andrews holds a press conference to declare he is ready to put himself forward as the next prime minister if that's what the people want. The people laugh.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This will probably be played out on negative gearing. Libs need a plan for first home buyers. The ALP plan is not well thought through opening the door for a Lib plan.

There's a massive amount of young to middle aged voters who want affordable housing. Their parents want it for them too.

Its a massive draw card for whichever party get it right.
Old May 9th 2016, 11:01 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

1 day in and the first liberal goes rogue.

Dennis Jensen to run as an independent and says 'branch stackers should be jailed' | Australia news | The Guardian

Deselected climate change denier says "screw it, I'm running as an independent". It was a safe liberal seat in WA, no telling if this will change anything.

And speaking of 'going rogue', a funny image of Abbott leafleting today. How long can he play the good boy?

Old May 9th 2016, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you ever thought that the grumblings you see in Oz Post may not be reflective across all those working?

What about those on annual salaries?

Do you really think these changes are enough to sink the Libs?

My prediction is that there will be big losses for the ALP with a swing over to the Greens. I'm not convinced that the old Labor "workers rights" policies are what "most" are after these days.
Affects our household double at present..... These changes also apply even more heavily to those in the medical profession. Those with health professionals in their households are also going to be heavily affected....... there's 10,000's of those.

So I'm more than convinced attacking workers rights is enough to heavily influence the outcome of this election.

Just because you and others don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.
The threat is there with a vengeance.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Its not flawed and in fact you just proved the point.

A "waiver of rights" (I'm sure its not called that) is an employment contract. If an individual chooses to accept shifts that could be at any time its their choice. The more people that leave, or the harder the employer finds to recruit, then that will put pressure on the business to provide an incentive.

And if they are making you work harder, again, your choice. If you don't like hard work then leave. Someone owns your company and its not you or your fellow workers. If they want to run the business how they see fit then its their call. If they break any laws in regard to how they treat their employees then there facilities to hold them to account.
The problem is that battlers don't leave. They have a battler mentality and can't and won't move on or ask, or think for themselves. All bred by unions. It's a culitural aspect as you know.
This is why I don't support trade unions.
Old May 9th 2016, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The problem is that battlers don't leave. They have a battler mentality and can't and won't move on or ask, or think for themselves. All bred by unions. It's a culitural aspect as you know.
This is why I don't support trade unions.
I share your thoughts. They breed mediocrity and laziness.

But it will be interesting to see if Ozzie is right and whether the nation wants laziness and mediocrity and with it a declining economy in the face of needed change.

Will the me me me's win out over the collective?
Old May 9th 2016, 9:52 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Will the me me me's win out over the collective?
Do you even realise which side you are on any more?

What, in the end, is the purpose of a government? Who does it work for?

Once again, it comes round to the exam question, automation and outsourcing means there is less place in the workforce for the dumb. What do you do for society to continue to function?

Oh, and BTW either it's "Unions only account for 20% of the workforce so don't count", or "Unions are to blame for breeding all laziness and mediocrity" - make your mind up which incorrect trope you are actually going to push.

Anyway

Looks like the Turnbull budget was a net turn off.

Asked whether the budget had made them more or less likely to vote for the Liberal or National parties, 29% said more likely, 47% said less likely and 24% were unsure.

But among younger voters the reaction was far harsher, with 61% of 18- to 24-year-olds saying it made them less likely to vote Liberal, while 30% said they were more likely to support Turnbull and 9% were unsure.

And among 25- to 34-year-olds the verdict was almost as severe, with 58% saying they were less likely to vote for the Coalition after budget night, 24% saying they were more likely and 18% unsure.
Malcolm Turnbull's budget turns younger voters off Coalition, poll shows | Australia news | The Guardian

Libs ain't a party for the young; where young is less than 35.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.