Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tell me something.........

Tell me something.........

Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me something.........

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I missed this clip the other day, it's amazing, I thought the bird had broken it's wing at first. Nature, you can't beat it.

P.S. If I'm on my ipad it doesn't always instantly show a vid link, which is a bit flipping naff!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why do approximately half of the noodles in my cup of chicken noodle soup float and the other half of them sink? They all look the same.

That's got to be something to do with air pockets in the ones left floating surely.....Dono.....maybe not.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Good work on the LM race from your husband:thumb up:

Those Hope bikes are just open mold far eastern frames, there's a million of 'em out there. Sadly there are no carbon bespoke frame builders in the UK any more. There was one in Devon but they folded.

Hope are generally regarded as being for the mtb crowd. Their road hits are good (but loud) but their go to market strategy has put a lot of dealers off side, especially in the bespoke wheel building world.

I won't be testing my bike in the Italian Alps. The year's plan now that IronMan Lanzarote has been canned will be:

Mallorca Stephen Roche training Camp next week (old bike).
Tour of Wessex ( probably old bike)
High Altitude 12 col climbing camp week in the French Alps, 1st week of June (new bike)

4 day stage race based in Lake Annecy 1st week Sept (new bike)

Hopefully will have another solid year on the domestic TT circuit as well.
I can't believe there's no carbon bespoke frame builders in this country?! That's absurd! Britain has a lot of keen cyclists and semi-pro, so what on earth is that all about? Is it because they can be made cheaper abroad ?

I've just had a gander at Ironman Lanzarote on youtube, it looks awesome Have you done it before? What do you mean by canned?

Good luck with the rest of your events, you must have a very understanding wife, especially with the new bambina on board!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No point in posting reasons because I won't debate it - I'm not going to change my mind

I'm educated. I read. I draw my own conclusions. There is enough info and 'expert' opinion to support my standpoint

But you party on and form your own opinion
Yep! Fair play.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting stuff, Garry & Lesleys!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I can't believe there's no carbon bespoke frame builders in this country?! That's absurd! Britain has a lot of keen cyclists and semi-pro, so what on earth is that all about? Is it because they can be made cheaper abroad ?

I've just had a gander at Ironman Lanzarote on youtube, it looks awesome Have you done it before? What do you mean by canned?

Good luck with the rest of your events, you must have a very understanding wife, especially with the new bambina on board!
They aren't many countries you can find carbon frame makers now, outside of China and Taiwan. Colnago still make the lugged C59 in Italy but that's their only model and the C60 will sound the death knell for Italian production from that storied brand.

Molds are incredibly expensive to make and f course you need lots of sizes for each model costly stuff. It's not really as bad as it sounds because there is no logical reason why a wizened old Italian (or European) artisan frame maker would have any inherent of better knowledge of carbon frame mfr than any other country. Bike design yes, but manufacturing in carbon? not really.

Noteable exceptions are Parlee and Calfee in the US, and the odd small company like Marco Bertoletti in Italy, Sarto, Cyfac in France and a few others, but you pay for it. Even then most of the good carbon is supplied by Toray of Japan and the rest could honestly come from anywhere. There's a ton of smoke and mirrors in the industry about where certain bikes are made (or aren't).

It's much easier to find bespoke frame maker in steel (modern steel like XCR and 953 is pretty light) or titanium. Enigma in the UK make some nice Ti frames, but the higher end stuff frame makers won't see you have any change from £4.4k and upwards for a Ti frame. Plus if you are really keen on a Independent Fabrication, Rob English or Richard Sachs (all US) then you'd better be prepared to wait a couple of years.

Where carbon is king is in its ability to manipulated into aero tubes that can reduce CDR. So great for TT bikes and an awful lot of racing road bikes are based on an aero platform now (except for out and out climbing bikes).

Britain has a lot of pro cyclists, but the population of pro cyclists has nothing to do with whether a frame should be made there. Otherwise the TdF would be won by Chinese and Taiwanese riders every year.

Not done IM Lanza before (done others). By canned I mean I had to withdraw due to Mrs TB having an emergency c section on Boxing day so my key block of running where I would have transitioned from base/build to build/speed would have been January and I just had to dedicate all my time to looking after her, baby and the house. A less than optimal build up would see me spend a lot of money just to go and finish the thing, and I have no interest in that really as I've done enough of them.

Mrs TB is understanding but there is no way we would have gone forward with a kid if we hadn't sat down and worked out how that would work with training and racing etc. Plus she already knows that the only reason I'm willing to go back to Oz is because eventually that's what she wants. So it's all give and take.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Feb 20th 2014 at 7:45 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:48 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Molds are incredibly expensive to make and f course you need lots of sizes for each model costly stuff. It's not really as bad as it sounds because there is no logical reason why a wizened old Italian (or European) artisan frame maker would have any inherent of better knowledge of carbon frame mfr than any other country. Bike design yes, but manufacturing in carbon? not really.
I'm a bit surprised that they haven't started exploiting 3D printing for bike frames yet. You can 3D print carbon fibre, integrate it with other materials, and construct it far more intricately and purposely than you could ever do by hand. Bespoke manufacture comes for free.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'm a bit surprised that they haven't started exploiting 3D printing for bike frames yet. You can 3D print carbon fibre, integrate it with other materials, and construct it far more intricately and purposely than you could ever do by hand. Bespoke manufacture comes for free.
Read an article about this the other day. Current tech is about 10-15 yrs away. You can make the shapes (if you have enough money) but can't get the integrity.

You can get a plastic 3D printed Garmin mount but they have been pretty poor so far.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:37 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Read an article about this the other day. Current tech is about 10-15 yrs away. You can make the shapes (if you have enough money) but can't get the integrity.

You can get a plastic 3D printed Garmin mount but they have been pretty poor so far.
???

Depends what you want, and what you mean by integrity, but there's some pretty serious, high integrity, uses of 3D printing out there. Hell, the seeker head on the latest Sidewinder missile is 3D printed, and that's years old.

A little googling and here's some people doing it :
http://www.core77.com/blog/digital_f...rame_26463.asp
and looking at that, I'd guess it can be done much better in the next generation (where's the internal structure?).
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

???

Depends what you want, and what you mean by integrity, but there's some pretty serious, high integrity, uses of 3D printing out there. Hell, the seeker head on the latest Sidewinder missile is 3D printed, and that's years old.

A little googling and here's some people doing it :
http://www.core77.com/blog/digital_f...rame_26463.asp
and looking at that, I'd guess it can be done much better in the next generation (where's the internal structure?).

Did you actually read the article in your own link? How on earth does that relate to the subject at hand? Unless you're trying to tell me that a mtb Ti frame with multiple points of linkage is somehow comparable to the subject of a road bike?

Then again, WTF would I know about the subject
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 5:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a pain in the arse driving between QLD and NSW during Daylight Savings months. Scrap the bloody thing, we're no longer at war, NSW don't need it.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 5:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's a pain in the arse driving between QLD and NSW during Daylight Savings months. Scrap the bloody thing, we're no longer at war, NSW don't need it.
What percentage of the population has daylight savings time, and what not?

Whip the vocal yokels in queensland and western australia into shape and get them on DST like the rest.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Whip the vocal yokels in queensland and western australia into shape and get them on DST like the rest.
DST has majority support in SEQ anyway...but ideas such as splitting the state into 2 timezones is just too much for them (the decision makers) to comprehend.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea. I don't want to whip anyone, I just don't see the point of it so why can't the others come in line with us?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own DST. I start work at 7and leave at 4pm. That way I can support people in Sydney from 8am (their time) and still get home early enough to enjoy some daylight in the evening Bris time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.