Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tell me something.........

Tell me something.........

Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me something.........

Originally Posted by GarryP

Yep, and a lot of scientists and engineers have been saying we need to make major structural changes to our society, starting about two decades back, to deal with both this and climate change. You'll note what Abbott's doing to renewables, in contrast...
People like Abbott who are in denial about climate change, don't or won't take it seriously and if you have a government who doesn't take it seriously, his/hers followers aren't likely to either. Also to add to that, I'd say a good 60% maybe more, I don't know, of people couldn't care less about climate change, mainly because they don't understand or care about the consequences it will eventually have on society. I feel for the scientists in the know, I bet they feel like banging their heads against a brick wall.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
No, I don't race for charity, I race because I like to compete. Unfortunately the LM has been hijacked by the charity corporate collection machine, which is shame because the race nearly folded and it was only through the efforts of the running community that kept it afloat. Now those same runners can't get a look in

Hope don't make bikes afaik, they make hubs and some brake and rim parts.

I have a Pinarello FT1 TT bike, HED Jet 60 everyday aero wheels, Zipp Sub 9 disc and 404 front. Deda integrated carbon wing on s-bend extensions with Chorus TT group.

An Opera Palladio titanium road bike, with H Plus Son A23 on Record hubs for everyday and some Fulcrum Racing Zeros for climbing and criteriums. Chorus/Record mix.

Just ordered a full custom carbon frame from Marco Bertotelli in Bergamo and when I get back from training in Mallorca the week after next I'm off to Italy to see it being put in the autoclave.

Bet you wished you never asked eh?
Yeah I know what you mean, I really wanted to do the LM this year (on the bucket list of things to do before I'm 40) but because I'm not a member of a running club or an elite runner I would've had to run for a charity, which isn't a problem until it's time to collect the money.

My husband did it last year for charity, a close friend of ours died from Leukaemia and he ran in her name, but he had to get over 2k just to be able to do it, he managed to get more but he said he hated chasing the money.
This year he's running just to compete. Like you, that's what he likes best about it. He only managed to get in this year because he came in the top 5% last year, and I think as long as you come in the top 5% you just automatically get a place for the year after.

Regarding all the bike talk, I recognise some of your speil, my lads are into their bikes.
I have a friend who works for Hope and people who work for Hope all get a complementary Hope bike, the lucky swines, they are rather smart I must admit. I didn't realise until now that they aren't for sale elsewhere........................Italy huh? I love that place, will you be testing your new frame out on the Italian Alps when it's ready? ....It would be rude not to wouldn't it?

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Bet you wished you never asked eh?
I suppose it gave your wifes ears a rest for a while....... ................ You can tell I'm speaking from experience can't ya!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
People like Abbott who are in denial about climate change, don't or won't take it seriously and if you have a government who doesn't take it seriously, his/hers followers aren't likely to either. Also to add to that, I'd say a good 60% maybe more, I don't know, of people couldn't care less about climate change, mainly because they don't understand or care about the consequences it will eventually have on society. I feel for the scientists in the know, I bet they feel like banging their heads against a brick wall.
I don't believe in MMGW

Plenty of scientists don't either
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't believe in MMGW

Plenty of scientists don't either

I didn't use to either but I do now.

What are your reasons?

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Feb 19th 2014 at 3:05 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh God, I've opened a can of worms now haven't I!

Just going to say this, if this thread ends up getting nasty don't blame me!

Blame Garry!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Like you, that's what he likes best about it. He only managed to get in this year because he came in the top 5% last year, and I think as long as you come in the top 5% you just automatically get a place for the year after.

Regarding all the bike talk, I recognise some of your speil, my lads are into their bikes.
I have a friend who works for Hope and people who work for Hope all get a complementary Hope bike, the lucky swines, they are rather smart I must admit. I didn't realise until now that they aren't for sale elsewhere........................Italy huh? I love that place, will you be testing your new frame out on the Italian Alps when it's ready? ....It would be rude not to wouldn't it?

I suppose it gave your wifes ears a rest for a while....... ................ You can tell I'm speaking from experience can't ya!
Good work on the LM race from your husband:thumb up:

Those Hope bikes are just open mold far eastern frames, there's a million of 'em out there. Sadly there are no carbon bespoke frame builders in the UK any more. There was one in Devon but they folded.

Hope are generally regarded as being for the mtb crowd. Their road hits are good (but loud) but their go to market strategy has put a lot of dealers off side, especially in the bespoke wheel building world.

I won't be testing my bike in the Italian Alps. The year's plan now that IronMan Lanzarote has been canned will be:

Mallorca Stephen Roche training Camp next week (old bike).
Tour of Wessex ( probably old bike)
High Altitude 12 col climbing camp week in the French Alps, 1st week of June (new bike)

4 day stage race based in Lake Annecy 1st week Sept (new bike)

Hopefully will have another solid year on the domestic TT circuit as well.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Why do approximately half of the noodles in my cup of chicken noodle soup float and the other half of them sink? They all look the same.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:45 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for the scientists in the know, I bet they feel like banging their heads against a brick wall.
Actually there seems to be a repeated pattern.
  • You get someone with the inquisitiveness and 'step back and look at the big picture' nous. They find the general area, do what they do best (research & think) and find the size and shape of the problem.
  • They don't believe it's hopeless and come up with all kinds of ideas how it can be fixed (these tend to be problem solvers by nature).
  • Weary heads point out the problems, the thing they didn't see. They consider and try again, and again...
  • Eventually they realise there is a BIG problem and start looking at how the world can be alerted to the necessary actions.
  • They find out nobody's listening and there are dumb voices (backed up by vested interests) claiming that black is white and there is no problem. These voices tend to use the same script, over and over, even when it's shown to be crap.
  • Heads are banged.
  • They get disheartened, give up on the masses as a lost cause, and either a) go down the self-sufficiency, pastoral idyll, line, or b) give up and accept that the world will be going to shit within a decade or two, it can't be stopped, so they have fun now.
  • They tend to then effectively disappear from area - there being no point in re-rehearsing the same points over and over.
That's been happening since the Club of Rome and Limits to Growth over 40 years ago. They, even with simple data and model, basically nailed the big, big picture back then - but nobody really listened. Comparing their business as usual/do nothing scenario with reality is chilling, an economist would be looking for a nobel prize if one of their models was this good over that time horizon - but SWHTF as an when we hit one or more of their predicted systemic tipping points...

Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It is healthier to eat 100 grams of German sausage than 100 grams of Almonds.

X 2 for 100 grams of Almonds below.

Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't use to either but I do now.

What are your reasons?
No point in posting reasons because I won't debate it - I'm not going to change my mind

I'm educated. I read. I draw my own conclusions. There is enough info and 'expert' opinion to support my standpoint

But you party on and form your own opinion
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Alfresco

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/uploa...resco/6094.jpg

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/uploa...resco/6093.jpg

Germany rocks
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:34 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/uploa...resco/6094.jpg

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/uploa...resco/6093.jpg
No it's not.

There's more than calories involved in healthy eating.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Really? I think they're bigger - more like crows here than UK magpies.

Haven't experienced 'magpie aggression' since I've been in Melbourne...where I work at the moment they hop up on the lunch tables outside warbling away looking for something to eat. But in Brisbane, when cycling and at certain times of the year they were a real menace. You'd be cycling along and suddenly hear this crack right in your ear which was the beak trying to get your face! Hence many of the cyclists have elaborate displays of long cable ties on their helmets trying to keep maggie at a safe distance.

http://www.bikehacks.com/.a/6a0120a7...9655114970c-pi
Australian Magpies are actually Pied Crows and not actually a species of Magpie.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dreamy
No it's not.

There's more than calories involved in healthy eating.

Indeed there is.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible to distinguish carbon that occurs 'naturally' and that which results from fossil fuels.

Since carbon-14 is created during exposure in the atmosphere, low isotope carbon-14 has not been subjected to atmospheric exposure and therefore must have come from underground. In other words, we dug it up, burned it, and now low isotope carbon-14 is in the atmosphere. That is how the two origins of carbon can be clearly identified, by the isotopic signature.

Said another way, low isotope carbon-14 is from fossil fuels, while the rest of the carbon has been in the natural cycle for longer periods. Longer expose times increase the C-14 in the molecule. Carbon that is stored and released through natural processes such as the normal seasonal carbon breathing that occurs in plant life has a longer atmospheric lifetime.

Source

http://ossfoundation.us/projects/env...g/human-caused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.