Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tell me something.........

Tell me something.........

Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me something.........

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
A gun silencer does not make a gun silent.

I must of missed this, it made me

Was it supposed too.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Basically it describes protocols for aerodynamic wind tunnel testing of cycle frames.

Thank you - is it your line of work?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GarryP
Depends.

It's pretty obvious to see that if you are in neutral, the engine is going to need a little fuel to keep the engine actually turning over - so the fuel consumption won't be zero.

However, if you are in gear, but with zero throttle, the ECM could zero the fuel injectors and use the wheels turning to keep the engine turning over - and so use less (no) fuel.

That depends on how its set up, the more mechanical and old it is, the more likely it is to still spurt a little fuel in each stroke to keep it 'idling'.

And to confuse things even more, with the newer cars, the ones trying to get reasonable fuel economy with a fat engine, the ECM might actually turn the engine off when in neutral (eg when stopped at lights) to save fuel and boost the fuel economy. That obviously goes double for hybrids.

That's interesting - but they do need to hurry up and think of new ways to power cars. I know lots of different ideas are being tested at the moment but you would think wouldn't you in this day and age, with technology moving so fast that they would of come up with something more powerful and more advanced than the electric car?

Have you ever been in an electric car? They feel strange.....

I actually believe we will have flying cars sometime in the future, maybe 80 -100 years time.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Thank you - is it your line of work?
haha no, we'd be pretty broke if we relied on my racing prowess to eat! I'm just an enthusiastic cycle racer, time trialist and triathlete.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

There's some interesting stuff on here I'm presently surprised!

Alfresco the Rubik Cube is a beast of a thing, I only ever had the patience to do two sides.
I've upgraded to a 7x7x7 sided one now.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Is this actually true?
It is for my diesel VW
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:44 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting - but they do need to hurry up and think of new ways to power cars. I know lots of different ideas are being tested at the moment but you would think wouldn't you in this day and age, with technology moving so fast that they would of come up with something more powerful and more advanced than the electric car?

Have you ever been in an electric car? They feel strange.....

I actually believe we will have flying cars sometime in the future, maybe 80 -100 years time.
Ahh, you're in the 'I expect miracles' camp. You're like the economists who think things should just appear because they want them. You canna change the laws of physics.

Cars, and indeed our society, work because oil is freely available, is a source of energy, and has great properties in terms of energy density and safety. A volume about that of a egg is enough to propel you, your family and a tonne of car a mile down the road.

There are no other energy sources available that are going to do that, outside nuclear. And that means electric and batteries. And batteries are a complete nightmare in terms of cost and energy density - and aren't about to get massively better. They are also not a source, just a store.

Practical upshot, you are going to likely do without cars as you know them - they will be more expensive, more rare and shorter range. Don't whine about it or act demanding, you were bloody lucky (some would say foolish) to have had the personal car age in the first place.

Rant ends
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Ahh, you're in the 'I expect miracles' camp. You're like the economists who think things should just appear because they want them. You canna change the laws of physics.

Cars, and indeed our society, work because oil is freely available, is a source of energy, and has great properties in terms of energy density and safety. A volume about that of a egg is enough to propel you, your family and a tonne of car a mile down the road.

There are no other energy sources available that are going to do that, outside nuclear. And that means electric and batteries. And batteries are a complete nightmare in terms of cost and energy density - and aren't about to get massively better. They are also not a source, just a store.

Practical upshot, you are going to likely do without cars as you know them - they will be more expensive, more rare and shorter range. Don't whine about it or act demanding, you were bloody lucky (some would say foolish) to have had the personal car age in the first place.

Rant ends
we have flying cars already....called light aircraft...

it is all the safety stuff that will slow us.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has no wild apes, monkeys or baboons.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Australia has no wild apes, monkeys or baboons.
Isn't that a matter of opinion?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Isn't that a matter of opinion?
Indeed!
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:02 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Bikie gangs account for < 1% of the drug crime in QLD.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:55 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Bikie gangs account for < 1% of the drug crime in QLD.
Yeah but they all live on the Gold Coast.

:::legs it from moneypenny:::
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:58 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Yeah but they all live on the Gold Coast.

:::legs it from moneypenny:::
Shushhhhhh Pen is the secret leader of the biggest crime gang, she went to Sydney to establish links with the W.A & N.S.W chapters just recently......
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:07 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

A Muscovy duck is more like a goose than a duck. Like goose eggs, Muscovy eggs take longer to hatch than duck eggs. In fact, if you cross breed a Muscovy with another type of duck the "ducklings" will be sterile mule types.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.