Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How disrutive/time consuming it is to convert to indiviual water meters in a house?

How disrutive/time consuming it is to convert to indiviual water meters in a house?

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:26 am
Just Joined

BeckieM is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How disrutive/time consuming it is to convert to indiviual water meters in a house?

Hi,

I have an investment property (townhouse) in QLD which I'm considering to have individually metered for water consumption. The tenants have questioned the amount of work required and inconveniences as a result.

I don't really like to lose them as they have been great tenants, so I wondered if anyone here could let me know how disruptive this process is for a townhouse? Does any part of the whole process require any access inside the house? Or is it all outside work?

Cheers,
Bec

Last edited by BeckieM; Oct 22nd 2017 at 7:30 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How disrutive/time consuming it is to convert to indiviual water meters in a hous

How deeply have you looked into this idea ?

Reason I ask is Water is generally 2 dollars or thereabouts per Kilolitre..... Whereas service charges for each meter AFAIK would make up about 70 pct of the bill.

Installing another meter to save a potential 70 bucks per quarter "Water usage" only seems a misinformed move to me. Especially if you are adding 150 bucks service charge to each meter.

I'd be looking very closely at the Service charges for this..... That's where the greatest proportion of any water bill is, not the usage itself.

I can understand moving gas and electricity meters but not water.

I'm speaking as an ex Gas Meter reader so my knowledge is limited. I do know that the service charges are what you look out for on water though and not usage.

When you say individually metered are you talking just about one tenant in a shared dwelling? even more, reason not to do it if so.

Potentially this is cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

The only way it would make sense is if the service charge stays the same and is split evenly, I don't think the water companies do that though.... They just add the service charge to the meter AFAIK, because it's another account, another reading and another meter.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 23rd 2017 at 3:44 am.