Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Originally Posted by Beoz
Indeed. At least those who send their kids private get to see some of the hard money back, and feel a small way justified in paying tax.
One of the great things about Australia - the taxpayer funding private school students

It's not common around the world and Australia has got it right and the rest have got it wrong

Our country is better off for this policy
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
you're having a giraffe aintcha.

Absolutely not. Anyone touches my kids, they'll get a not so friendly visit from me.
But your children can, probably, read, rite and do rithmatic - so no need for caning

I'm only proposing this for the asshole kids who won't learn and their bogan/chav parents

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 20th 2014 at 12:43 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Name calling? Really my uber right-wing friend?

You know how that is going to end up!
Just saying it as it is

How is it going to end up my macho posturing friend?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:44 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Name calling?
In all seriousness...can you claim that you don't do this...really?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Grayling
Just saying it as it is

How is it going to end up my macho posturing friend?
You know
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sure but only in response to those who start in on me - check it out

But you have a point. I'm a stubborn SOB and always feel the need to respond. Maybe I should let it go over my head - as I'm sure you always do
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.... and parents are screaming that kids are doing too much homework - ie, they want homework to be discontinued.
Every Wednesday evening, I walk past the local netball court, and the number of kids who should be doing homework, are play in the weekly competition (not to mention other sports that are played during the week).
When I was that age, I was never allowed to go outside or watch "the idiot box", as my dad used to call it, until homework was finished.
Thanks, you've just reminded me to email youngest kids teachers to let them know she may not have finished homework (was going to the library before school today to give it a go). She spends too much time at the ballet studio - she has Wednesday afternoons and every second Sunday off at the moment. Terrible mother I am. But look at it this way, the eldest girl child will be qualified to teach dance by the time she leaves school, so if Uni is not on top of her priority list, she's a dual citizen, she can go off and teach dance overseas or grab a job at Disneyland, on a cruise ship, whatever for a year or two until she decides what she wants to do with her education. Sometimes those kids on the netball court are working just as hard towards their future goals as the kids swatting over their books in their bedroom.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:38 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Thanks, you've just reminded me to email youngest kids teachers to let them know she may not have finished homework (was going to the library before school today to give it a go). She spends too much time at the ballet studio - she has Wednesday afternoons and every second Sunday off at the moment. Terrible mother I am. But look at it this way, the eldest girl child will be qualified to teach dance by the time she leaves school, so if Uni is not on top of her priority list, she's a dual citizen, she can go off and teach dance overseas or grab a job at Disneyland, on a cruise ship, whatever for a year or two until she decides what she wants to do with her education. Sometimes those kids on the netball court are working just as hard towards their future goals as the kids swatting over their books in their bedroom.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Ok been a while since I was at school, but you have direct access to the teachers via email?????? Wow. That's pretty cool.

Wait a minute "Hi it's Johnny's mother here. He didn't bring home his blue lunch box today. I don't suppose you've seen it lying around the classroom"
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:45 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Ok been a while since I was at school, but you have direct access to the teachers via email?????? Wow. That's pretty cool.

Wait a minute "Hi it's Johnny's mother here. He didn't bring home his blue lunch box today. I don't suppose you've seen it lying around the classroom"
Yes, it's extremely handy that. I don't use it much and thankfully, I don't have constant emails from teachers moaning about my kids.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Yes, it's extremely handy that. I don't use it much and thankfully, I don't have constant emails from teachers moaning about my kids.
Really, gone of the days when the teacher would send you home with a note, that you subsequently tore up before mum read it.

My mate is a single dad. He gets copied in on the emails flinging between the bored housewives. He takes great joy in forwarding them on. Usually 20 emails starting of about Charlotte's lost jumper and ending in Byron's lost lunch box.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Really, gone of the days when the teacher would send you home with a note, that you subsequently tore up before mum read it.

My mate is a single dad. He gets copied in on the emails flinging between the bored housewives. He takes great joy in forwarding them on. Usually 20 emails starting of about Charlotte's lost jumper and ending in Byron's lost lunch box.
Yep, can't get away with anything, wag a period and your parent hasn't emailed the absentee line, your parents get a text to say you're not in class. Poor kids.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Kim.

To be fair, uni is not the be all and end all.
I have never expected my kids to be high achievers academically: it's them I am interested in, as all-rounders.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is in a group that doesn't like to get involved with all that niffnaff...they try to minimise/stay out of school admin: it's hard enough scheduling extra-curricular, she reckons.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

... .... and of course there is an easy answer to all this. Don't leech off the state and send them private. They can be both sports persons and scholars.
Agreed - people forget that you can be handy with a ball and also handy with a pen.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Shakespeare, very little use I imagine but it was part of the higher level English course.

Spanish, is of massive use, any second language is. In many jobs for sure, its an advantage. Plus in Countries like USA its almost as useful as knowing English.

In his personal case he will be studying BA Health, (emergency medicine, paramedic), I imagine Paramedics with more than one language are pretty useful.
Spanish is handy - agreed. Any 2nd language is handy - remember that levels of fluency, or indeed, bi-lingual skills can translate to gigs in Europe - or USA - in interesting areas.

Originally Posted by bcworld
I tihnk Zulu likes to 'tell it as it is' but he also overeggs it...the key is to understand the spirit of what he is saying - plenty of people call him out just for being a saffer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.