Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Originally Posted by GarryP
Numbers for the UK are quoted as 16-17% functionally illiterate, and 20% functionally innumerate. Those are still bad, but ...

I hope to hell there are different definitions of 'functionally illiterate/innumerate' at play here, because if not, that's a big gap compared to what is still a poor performer.
Yes those figures are bad but certainly way 'less bad' than the figures quoted in that story. As has been pointed out the emphasis on sport can certainly be detrimental and is very American unsurprisingly. We of course can only comment at a personal level on what we see with our own kids.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (and Australia generally) extremely bad educational standards

Originally Posted by brissybee
A good teacher doesn't need to "break in" students. A good teacher has the intelligence to structure education in a way that students want to learn.

There will always be a minority of kids who simply don't want to learn but I believe the main body of apathy sits bitching in the staff room.
Unfortunately there are not many good teachers but plenty of poor and average ones

Education via the cane is the way to go. Threats of violence will focus young minds
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
But its "world class" everything is world class, yeah..

Seriously my youngest teen in English in Grade 12 last year, was horrified how many kids could not get up and read from Shakespeare. They just couldn't read it. This was OP (kids going for a UNI score ) level English.

Mind you the school had a real thing about Sport, and the amount of kids that were pulled out of high school English and Maths to attend sporting events.

Then they get priority points to get into Courses ( Lift 2 rankings for UNI ) because the play sport. My son is fluent in Spanish, same with the kids who did Japanese, worked really hard at it and you get one extra rank for a second language.
Pardon my ignorance. But what use is Spanish and Shakespeare?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

... .... and of course there is an easy answer to all this. Don't leech off the state and send them private. They can be both sports persons and scholars.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
... .... and of course there is an easy answer to all this. Don't leech off the state and send them private. They can be both sports persons and scholars.
Well private schools are funded by $10billion of taxpayers money so they're already 'leeching' off the state.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Pardon my ignorance. But what use is Spanish and Shakespeare?
Shakespeare, very little use I imagine but it was part of the higher level English course.

Spanish, is of massive use, any second language is. In many jobs for sure, its an advantage. Plus in Countries like USA its almost as useful as knowing English.

In his personal case he will be studying BA Health, (emergency medicine, paramedic), I imagine Paramedics with more than one language are pretty useful.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia's education system is no better or worse than many other western countries - including the UK

There is too much socialst bullshit in education. Get the basics done well - backed up by strict discipline. Break the little f**kers in

Tasmania (and the rest of Australia) is spending plenty on education. Sort the teachers and system out. Get rid of the liberal bullshit. Hammer the parents if they don't do their bit

Sorted
.... and parents are screaming that kids are doing too much homework - ie, they want homework to be discontinued.
Every Wednesday evening, I walk past the local netball court, and the number of kids who should be doing homework, are play in the weekly competition (not to mention other sports that are played during the week).
When I was that age, I was never allowed to go outside or watch "the idiot box", as my dad used to call it, until homework was finished.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.... and parents are screaming that kids are doing too much homework - ie, they want homework to be discontinued.
Every Wednesday evening, I walk past the local netball court, and the number of kids who should be doing homework, are play in the weekly competition (not to mention other sports that are played during the week).
When I was that age, I was never allowed to go outside or watch "the idiot box", as my dad used to call it, until homework was finished.
Yep. Focus on the basics. Instill discipline and hard work when they are young. The rest will sort itself out
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:57 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately there are not many good teachers but plenty of poor and average ones

Education via the cane is the way to go. Threats of violence will focus young minds
you're having a giraffe aintcha.

Absolutely not. Anyone touches my kids, they'll get a not so friendly visit from me.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:59 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Focus on the basics. Instill discipline and hard work when they are young. The rest will sort itself out
Yes but leaving out the violence and threats of violence.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Yes but leaving out the violence and threats of violence.
Leave that in

Get 'em racked and stacked early on
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Leave that in

Get 'em racked and stacked early on
If that is the way you were brought up it didn't stop you turning out a dickhead did it?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
A good teacher doesn't need to "break in" students. A good teacher has the intelligence to structure education in a way that students want to learn.

There will always be a minority of kids who simply don't want to learn but I believe the main body of apathy sits bitching in the staff room.
My thought is you don't fix this by attempting to go back to some "when I wer't'lad" idea of education. That was always bloody useless rote repetition (which is basically pointless in the age of google), and the idea of instilling 'fear' as a motivator is a non-starter for lots of reasons.

Nope, you need the kid to WANT to learn, to understand why they NEED to learn - that it's not just torture with no point. That step has always been missing as far as I can see - its always been "do this because we tell you to". Much, much better to get in them the desire to learn, then the rest takes care of itself.

And there is no excuse for not using technology to deliver personalised, tailored, education with high quality 'lessons' and interesting, purposeful examples such that they can remember the point. Flipped classrooms give even useless teachers a role.

If you clear out the rote cr*p you have space to get them to actually learn. There is no point in remembering facts any more, dump it. Literacy isn't remembered facts, neither is numeracy - they are skills and knowledge of how.

FFS, you could give them a tablet each for $50, included with it a year's worth of videoed lessons, a library of books, etc. If the useless parents won't read to them, give the youngsters a tablet that will. This is shades of Neil Stephenson's 'Diamond Age' - but why the hell haven't we moved forward towards that level of personalisation yet? $100m would do it - more point that wasting billions on something that obviously isn't working.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well private schools are funded by $10billion of taxpayers money so they're already 'leeching' off the state.
Indeed. At least those who send their kids private get to see some of the hard money back, and feel a small way justified in paying tax.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Grayling
If that is the way you were brought up it didn't stop you turning out a dickhead did it?
Name calling? Really my uber right-wing friend?

You know how that is going to end up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.