Tasmania

Old Jun 11th 2020, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

perfectpaula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tasmania

Hi all
i moved from England to Brisbane 14 years ago, but I’m over the very hot summers and thinking of another move to Tasmania.
anyine got any feedback please
I’m a registered nurse and hubby is an engineer
Old Jun 12th 2020, 5:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by perfectpaula
Hi all
i moved from England to Brisbane 14 years ago, but I’m over the very hot summers and thinking of another move to Tasmania.
anyine got any feedback please
I’m a registered nurse and hubby is an engineer
Always been a big fan of Tassie, and have posted on here about many wonderful trips there.
However I suspect I will not be visiting again as the friendliness I have always encountered there seems to have been replaced by a nasty racist and insular undertone, I am a member of numerous Tassie pages and groups on facebook and gradually they are all turning towards posting that they never want tourists again, they don't want interstate visitors and many businesses are even saying they would prefer to close down than welcome outsiders to Tassie again.
I think COVID may have been the death knell for this bit of paradise.

How many times have you been down there? I used to think of retiring there, but no longer. Actually I can't afford to retire anywhere now, Tassie or otherwise!
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs are hard to come by - scope the job market carefully.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tassie is somewhere id love to go when all this is over, sounds like a pretty relaxed place going by mates that live there.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 1:28 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Tassie is somewhere id love to go when all this is over, sounds like a pretty relaxed place going by mates that live there.
We had a long weekend in Hobart once (Mr Dreamy had a conference through the week so I flew out to join him) - thought it was lovely. Very Lake District/Mid Wales-y. We're definitely planning on a longer touring trip there sometime, well, if travel restrictions are ever lifted

When we lived in Queensland, our contract manager (who was Scottish) retired there. He ended up having to come back to Queensland during the winter months!
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Always been a big fan of Tassie, and have posted on here about many wonderful trips there.
However I suspect I will not be visiting again as the friendliness I have always encountered there seems to have been replaced by a nasty racist and insular undertone, I am a member of numerous Tassie pages and groups on facebook and gradually they are all turning towards posting that they never want tourists again, they don't want interstate visitors and many businesses are even saying they would prefer to close down than welcome outsiders to Tassie again.
I think COVID may have been the death knell for this bit of paradise.

How many times have you been down there? I used to think of retiring there, but no longer. Actually I can't afford to retire anywhere now, Tassie or otherwise!

I have never been, always thought the place as somewhat provincial, but have crossed paths over the years, with two overseas born, one English other Finnish, that moved from WA to Tasmania, and both far preferred it to WA.
I would not go much from online comments. So many forums seem to attract a very low in articulation stakes among other things type.

I suspect there probably is some 'complex' about mainlanders during present times, but like the Bali bombings, which I clearly recall so many stating that they would never venture there again, only to be forgotten in a very short time and numbers peaked.

Once Tassies hear, feel and see the flow of cash flooding into the state again, regardless of their overpriced tourist amenities , the welcome mat to spend, if not stay too long will more than likely be rolled out again.

As for retiring there, as I understand it the medical services are not the best and heavily subscribed to with not the fittest of populations. Isn't travel to and from mainland, somewhat expensive, especially if retired?
Just as I believe the socio economic problems and how they are played out within society add to further potential issues.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 23rd 2020 at 2:52 am.