Mandurah Crab Fest

Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mandurah Crab Fest

Anyone been to this in the past, and is it worth it?

Considering a drive out for it this weekend, but it's a very long drive for us, and we don't want to go if it's just going to be a few mediocre food stalls and tame general events.

We're not in the Perth-Bunbury corridor very often; what we've seen of Mandurah in the past has been uninspiring.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandurah Crab Fest

Never been and not likely to. I'm not a fan of Mandurah but each to their own. I do recall that the Festival was almost dead and was somehow revived and appears, if numbers are anything to go by an attraction.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Never been and not likely to. I'm not a fan of Mandurah but each to their own. I do recall that the Festival was almost dead and was somehow revived and appears, if numbers are anything to go by an attraction.
Yeah I think we're going to give it a miss. Looking through the on-line program, nothing really grabs us, and it's not like there are a ton of back-up options in Mandurah if we make the drive all the way out there.

PS - Wool-o-Rama was great!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Mandurah, is the best place I've been for Dolphin watching. Dozens of them there in the canals. It's worth visiting just for that.

I stayed at one of our Australia Post workers holiday places just South of there, Called Preston Beach, I cant think of a better beach that I've seen personally. It certainly changed my mind that WA is a long way for nothing.... Especially South of Perth.

There's a few Aus Post Holiday places in WA. Where's the next place over there you would recommend ?

Welcome to the API Holiday Homes!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Mandurah, is the best place I've been for Dolphin watching. Dozens of them there in the canals. It's worth visiting just for that.

I stayed at one of our Australia Post workers holiday places just South of there, Called Preston Beach, I cant think of a better beach that I've seen personally. It certainly changed my mind that WA is a long way for nothing.... Especially South of Perth.

There's a few Aus Post Holiday places in WA. Where's the next place over there you would recommend ?

Welcome to the API Holiday Homes!
Thanks for your reply ozzieeagle. We still will give this weekend a miss, but on your recommendation we will get some of the tourist literature and give Mandurah a fresh go sometime in the next few months.

I had never heard of Australia Post holiday locations - seems quite a good find! Thanks for sharing. If you are asking for yourself, Busselton, Albany, Port Denison and Kalbarri are all quite nice and I think it depends on what time of year you go. In August or September, Port Denison will still be temperate and a stay there would put Wildflower Country in easy reach (the wreath flowers near Mullewa are amazing - time a visit for when the flower shows are), and it's also only a half-hour from Geraldton. Kalbarri is also very unique - though it tends to book out quickly in the holiday season. The way the road network runs through Kalbarri though can make it fairly isolated.

Can't go wrong with Busselton or Albany either, but a summer trip would be better so that swimming is possible (amazing beaches) and it does get cold in winter. The summit of Bluff Knoll (near Albany) usually gets snow at least once a year.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yeah I think we're going to give it a miss. Looking through the on-line program, nothing really grabs us, and it's not like there are a ton of back-up options in Mandurah if we make the drive all the way out there.

PS - Wool-o-Rama was great!
Glad to hear that. Wagin from last time there appears to have really tried to lift their game with what they have on hand to appear an attractive little place to the outside observer.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been twice over the years on the Mandurah canals and yet to see a single dolphin.
So many of the canal houses appeared to be unoccupied as well. I was told a lot are overseas owned and owners live abroad. (skipper of boat doing dolphin tour)

I think the social issues impacting the city dissuade me somewhat as well.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Thanks for your reply ozzieeagle. We still will give this weekend a miss, but on your recommendation we will get some of the tourist literature and give Mandurah a fresh go sometime in the next few months.

I had never heard of Australia Post holiday locations - seems quite a good find! Thanks for sharing. If you are asking for yourself, Busselton, Albany, Port Denison and Kalbarri are all quite nice and I think it depends on what time of year you go. In August or September, Port Denison will still be temperate and a stay there would put Wildflower Country in easy reach (the wreath flowers near Mullewa are amazing - time a visit for when the flower shows are), and it's also only a half-hour from Geraldton. Kalbarri is also very unique - though it tends to book out quickly in the holiday season. The way the road network runs through Kalbarri though can make it fairly isolated.

Can't go wrong with Busselton or Albany either, but a summer trip would be better so that swimming is possible (amazing beaches) and it does get cold in winter. The summit of Bluff Knoll (near Albany) usually gets snow at least once a year.

Great tips, will definitely follow some of them up.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I've been twice over the years on the Mandurah canals and yet to see a single dolphin.
So many of the canal houses appeared to be unoccupied as well. I was told a lot are overseas owned and owners live abroad. (skipper of boat doing dolphin tour)

I think the social issues impacting the city dissuade me somewhat as well.
I reckon we saw at least 20 of them, probably more, not just in one spot either. I assumed it was always like that. Maybe they are seasonal, we went around September.

This place costs about the same if not less than the average 3 bedroom weatherboard around here. So you get a fairly large chunk of lifestyle for your dosh over there. I can see why they are holiday homes though....not exactly a metropolis is it? It did dawn on me that you would also need a fairly large chunk of money for the obligatory boat.... otherwise whats the point.

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...anup-127695646

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 16th 2018 at 2:27 am.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I reckon we saw at least 20 of them, probably more, not just in one spot either. I assumed it was always like that. Maybe they are seasonal, we went around September.

This place costs about the same if not less than the average 3 bedroom weatherboard around here. So you get a fairly large chunk of lifestyle for your dosh over there. I can see why they are holiday homes though....not exactly a metropolis is it? It did dawn on me that you would also need a fairly large chunk of money for the obligatory boat.... otherwise whats the point.

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...anup-127695646
So many? As we had overseas visitors on the last trip on the canals to see the dolphins had phoned ahead the day previously to ensure they were in the canals. We were assured they were so made the trip there instead of Bunbury. Hence rather disappointed. A few years earlier experienced same result.
I'm glad you have confirmed dolphin sightings, and so numerous as had severe doubts into frequency or even existence.

It was in winter months, so I believe it was in August. Not too far from your visit.

The train to Perth has improved Mandurah considerably, as it took a long time in coming.

Something appears not quite 'real' about the place in my eyes. Too artificial or it could be recall times when it was a very different place a number of years back. Don't know but some places we click to more readily than others.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Ex Mandurah resident here.

Crab fest, I wouldn't travel a long way for. Mainly just food and tat stalls. The boat show is a decent day out and wander around dreaming of a lottery win.

Dolphins are best seen in the Cut and from Dawesville beach. In the Cut, head to the south side and onto the path along the water and there is a inlet / boat mooring. Loads in there as they use it to herd fish into. My wife would swim with them there regularly.