SW Scotland photos

Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Scotland photos

Originally Posted by fulwood
I adore these photos.. I have a close friend (elderly) who lives in Newton Stewart. I love the place and its surrounding areas. I will be moving back to UK in next 2 years and open to where I live. Scotland has a strong appeal for me. I have no family so can go where I like. Thank you for the photos - made my day
Thanks, it is a lovely area and it is often said to be Scotland in miniature or the Highlands in miniature. My wife's brother and his wife live at Newton Stewart so we go regularly over that way from Castle Douglas. We really like the Machars which is the area to the south of NS, particularly Wigtown which has re-invented and revived itself as a Book Town. It has a great annual Book Festival which starts in a few weeks and many thousands descend on the town for all the things put on. There's lots of other nice places in the Machars like Garlieston, Whithorn, Isle of Whithorn, Port William and so on.

Festival website: Wigtown Book Festival - Home
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:20 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Thanks, I'm glad to share my love of this area with those who appreciate it. I'll dig more photos out and post them (hope the Mods don't take me to task for the space I'm taking up with photos).
I hope they dont either - i so appreciate it
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wigtown in spring; daffodils out and cherry blossoms just coming out. The county buildings were restored from near dereliction after the town was awarded book town status by the Scottish Parliament.

Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:32 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seafront, Garlieston (tide out!) Mull of Galloway, the most southerly point in Scotland, panorama shot looking northwards with the Mountains of Mourne, Northern Ireland just across the Irish Sea to the left and Wigtown Bay to the right. The Mull lighthouse. On a clear day like this one a week ago the old saying is that you can see the 5 Kingdoms of Scotland, England, Man and Ireland (both UK bit and the Republic). What's the 5th a person usually asks? The saying goes the Kingdom of God is above you when you look up! Fleet Bay near Gatehouse of Fleet.

And just to digress, how about this cute shot (not taken by me):

Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:50 am
wish I wasn't here!

Omg and koalas too
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Balcary Bay near Auchencairn.

The harbour at Isle of Whithorn:

Pub in Wigtown:

Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:02 am
wish I wasn't here!

I know auchencairn well too
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

During an open gardens day at Corsock House, north of Castle Douglas:

(I like this statue they had commissioned):

More Galloway Belties, between Shawhead and Dunscore:

The Gavin Maxwell memorial at Monreith near Port William (Ring of Bright Water; otters etc). 'This place he loved as a boy and made famous as a man', overlooking St Medan golf course and looking towards the Isle of Man in the distance.

Lastly, Newton Stewart Town Hall was being renovated last year, before the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and they draped the scaffolding with the flags of all the competing Commowealth nations:

Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:45 am
wish I wasn't here!

Awesome photos again

I cant thank you enough

Has made my night
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Truly great photo's and thank you so much for sharing with us. much appreciated.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the thanks. One last lot for now.

Kippford/Rockcliffe/Orchardton Tower, all near Dalbeattie; lovely sunny days and wintry days.

Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kirkcudbright is one of the most popular places to visit in our area so some of Kir-coo-brie. A couple down at the harbour and Maclellan's Castle:

The little village of Parton on the main Castle Douglas to Ayr road (A713):

Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Once again great Pic's. Took us back to when we sailed up there. We had a catamaran and so could sail right into most places and then let the tide leave us high and dry.

Ahh the memories flood back. Just love that part of the world.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And some miscellaneous ones:

For a recent Wigtown Book Festival someone made this out of old electronic junk and they left it up for a while after the Festival until it was taken to a gallery:

Inside Wigtown Book Shop which is the largest 2nd hand bookshop in Scotland; nice comfy seat by the fire. The inscription reads:

'Give a man fire and he's warm for the day, But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life'. It's about the qualities of a good book and not a licence for the ladies to turn pyromaniacs on their menfolk.

A couple at the village of Dalry. On the steps of the town hall underneath the blossoms and a view of the Glenkens hills and a loch just out of the town.

And finally, my nomination for the closest bowling club to the sea in the world (the sea laps the wall to the side at high tide) - Garlieston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.